all posts post new thread

Barbell Full OH Squat/snatch Mobility

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Meursault

Level 2 Valued Member
Does anyone have any good resources on developing and maintaining the necessary mobility for a barbell overhead squat?

I've had a recent idea that getting to a point where this position is viable and comfortable and then maintaining it could work as some form of mobility MED for me, due the ROM and stability required in pretty much every joint to achieve this position. The thought wouldn't be to get particularly strong in this position, only to continually practice the position with a moderate/light load. Having an 'end-goal' of sorts for my mobility practice would also significantly improve my discipline with said practice.

Maybe it's a terrible idea (feel free to point out why this may be the case) but I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.

Does anyone have any good resources on developing and maintaining the necessary mobility for a barbell overhead squat?

I've had a recent idea that getting to a point where this position is viable and comfortable and then maintaining it could work as some form of mobility MED for me, due the ROM and stability required in pretty much every joint to achieve this position. The thought wouldn't be to get particularly strong in this position, only to continually practice the position with a moderate/light load. Having an 'end-goal' of sorts for my mobility practice would also significantly improve my discipline with said practice.

Maybe it's a terrible idea (feel free to point out why this may be the case) but I'd appreciate peoples thoughts.
Squat University on yt, He has excellent vids on improving mobility/stability in ankles, knees, hips, low back, torso, shoulders.

I'm sure there are some resources out there (agree, Squat U is one) but I'll give you my thoughts.
  • Assess where are now - i.e. a quick OHS with PVC pipe - how far can you go, and what is difficult?
    • Each session, do some mobility work -- then assess before and after the mobility work to see if it helped
  • To progress, 3 options, could be worked one at a time, or parallel:
    • Compensation assistance; use as needed and reduce over time
      • elevate heels and/or wear lifting shoes
      • load one arm at a time, i.e. light kettlebell
    • Full ROM with a light load; add more load over time
      • may compensate somewhat; i.e. arms coming forward in the bottom, but with the light load you can get away with it; progress load and form over time
    • Reduced ROM with moderate load
      • Practice coming down and back up as far as you can with your moderate load, and progress ROM over time
Once you can do a basic OHS with your desired ROM and load, can progress the load, or the movement difficulty (snatch balance, power snatch, snatch)

Have you assessed your grip width?

How are you getting the bar overhead?

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but once you're done watching all the videos, it comes down to practice practice practice. ;)

I haven't found any short cuts.

I keep an empty barbell in my home office and practice it almost daily in a GTG fashion.

I also have a stainless steel Rogue War Bar (15 lbs), and when I go on walks, I do them at every intersection.

I train OHSQ in a loaded fashion once a week.

Post a video of your best attempt with the implement of your choice - piece of PVC pipe, empty bar, whatever.

-S-

It's a pretty unique method that I haven't seen anyone else use.

I'd be curious to see how well it translates to starting from standing for beginners.
Yeah... I agree. I'm not a beginner, but my OHSQ is really really really rusty. I will give this method a shot and get back to you.

To the OP, "dislocates" with PVC and doorway stretches would be a good idea to maintain mobility/flexibility for the OHSQ, but like watchnerd said time under the bar is pretty important.

Yeah... I agree. I'm not a beginner, but my OHSQ is really really really rusty. I will give this method a shot and get back to you.

I'm curious how his technique progresses from there.

I was wondering if he progressed from PVC on the ground to barbell on the ground.

But I just tried squatting, grabbing an empty 20 kg barbell on the ground in front of me, and putting it overhead in a snatch grip while squatting, and that's really frickin hard -- it's like doing a weird muscle snatch while squatting and the bar is way out in front of you.

So he must not be teaching the whole thing "from the ground up" using a barbell.

Squat University on yt, He has excellent vids on improving mobility/stability in ankles, knees, hips, low back, torso, shoulders.

I think it's a pretty good benchmark for above average level of mobility.

Even more so if you progress it to a clean grip (like those of us who mess around with squat jerking have to do).

The only thing that's not really required is contra-lateral stuff or big hip abduction.

I think it's a pretty good benchmark for above average level of mobility.

Even more so if you progress it to a clean grip (like those of us who mess around with squat jerking have to do).

The only thing that's not really required is contra-lateral stuff or big hip abduction.
Yes, clean grip or dbl. and single KB's or DB's.

I'm curious how his technique progresses from there.

I was wondering if he progressed from PVC on the ground to barbell on the ground.

But I just tried squatting, grabbing an empty 20 kg barbell on the ground in front of me, and putting it overhead in a snatch grip while squatting, and that's really frickin hard -- it's like doing a weird muscle snatch while squatting and the bar is way out in front of you.

So he must not be teaching the whole thing "from the ground up" using a barbell.
I’ve seen him teach to get down using a goblet squat, set the bell down, and have a second person handoff the barbell to your overhead position before standing up.

I'm sure there are some resources out there (agree, Squat U is one) but I'll give you my thoughts.
  • Assess where are now - i.e. a quick OHS with PVC pipe - how far can you go, and what is difficult?
    • Each session, do some mobility work -- then assess before and after the mobility work to see if it helped
  • To progress, 3 options, could be worked one at a time, or parallel:
    • Compensation assistance; use as needed and reduce over time
      • elevate heels and/or wear lifting shoes
      • load one arm at a time, i.e. light kettlebell
    • Full ROM with a light load; add more load over time
      • may compensate somewhat; i.e. arms coming forward in the bottom, but with the light load you can get away with it; progress load and form over time
    • Reduced ROM with moderate load
      • Practice coming down and back up as far as you can with your moderate load, and progress ROM over time
Once you can do a basic OHS with your desired ROM and load, can progress the load, or the movement difficulty (snatch balance, power snatch, snatch)

Have you assessed your grip width?

How are you getting the bar overhead?
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, I'll give some of your suggestions a go and I'll check out Squat U on youtube!

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but once you're done watching all the videos, it comes down to practice practice practice. ;)

I haven't found any short cuts.

I keep an empty barbell in my home office and practice it almost daily in a GTG fashion.

I also have a stainless steel Rogue War Bar (15 lbs), and when I go on walks, I do them at every intersection.

I train OHSQ in a loaded fashion once a week.
Oh no, not a downer at all! I had GTG in mind already as a way of reinforcing the movement; but perhaps I should have clarified and mentioned that I cant actually perform an OHSQ currently, so was more looking for resources on how to get to that point.

A bit lengthy, but I found this article interesting.

The author makes the case that eventually adding load is important to getting better mobility for the overhead squat:

Here are five areas you should focus on to develop a better overhead squatter:

• Middle back and shoulder strength -> Seated and standing cable-pulling exercises
  • Proper rotator cuff conditioning -> Barbell and dumbbell complexes during warm-up
  • Thoracic mobility and paraspinal strength -> Manual therapy and self-care work
  • Specific muscular endurance and flexibility -> High-repetition and high-range squatting
  • Total body coordination under duress -> Full overhead squatting for time under tension

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom