all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed further education as CMT

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

somanaut

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi S1
Been lurking and not posting for a bit, but I have returned to ask a question.

I work as clinical massage therapist for a healthcare company, but I want to start doing treatments on the side, hopefully one day to build my own little private clinic, at least part time. And I am wondering how I should upgrade my credentials and manual therapy skills. What does S1 forums think about:

1) Osteopathy DO (not the doctor kind, we don't have that in Denmark, just the education and profession itself, I know that it differs from country to country)?

2) Structural Integration with Tom Myers' Anatomy Trains (which many probably know as Rolfing)?

3) Biodynamic Cranio Sacral Therapy (It's very not S1, but I still like the treatment itself, even if I think, that the theory is way to spiritual and wacky)?

Of course I am also thinking about becoming a SFG, but not strong enough yet, so that will come if it will come. But yes prevention is more important that treatment.

Best Regards
Jesper

Here in the US, one of the first things I'd do in your place is obtain a Personal Trainer certification from one of the many organizations that offer it. Investigate which organizations are considered best in your country and find out what's involved. When I did this in 2003, I choose the NSCA. I just bought the self-study materials and then took the test, but they offered classes as well. Today, I believe NASM is also a good and a popular choice among SFG's.

-S-

@somanaut,
I don't have any advice about specific credentials or skills. However, I can suggest a resource that you might find useful, if you are not aware of it already: the SomaSimple discussion forums.

SomaSimple Discussion Lists - Powered by vBulletin

The people there tend to think very critically and skeptically, are generally very knowledgeable, offer interesting perspectives on our current understanding of how the body works, and provide a useful counterweight of science and critical thinking to the marketing of many branded therapy methods that sell expensive courses and certifications.

The number of forums and discussions, and the amount of information there can be overwhelming. Here is a brief guide to SomaSimple written by a massage therapist that gives a helpful overview.

A Massage Therapist's Guide to SomaSimple | Massage St. Louis, St. Louis, MO

@Steve FreidesThanks Steve, good idea, will check if there is an accepted standard for even using the SFG.
@Steve W. Good site, never seen it before, but looks like the perfect place to get feedback, thanks for the tip and the guide.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom