all posts post new thread

Kettlebell G Nuepert Advanced Athletic swing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member

Link to GN explaining the advanced athletic swing that he references in MKM.. interesting..

It's been working for me for decades. Not for everyone but nothing is.

Very interesting.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, many of the principles between the "SF athletic" swing and Geoff's are similar in operation, but Geoff is tweeking the foot placement to purposely make the swing less efficient, which will then require more muscle recruitment?

I guess I could see advantages of making it less efficient to increase muscle activation and calorie burning. Should I be concerned that I'm driving that inefficiency through less than optimal joint movement? (how will it treat my joints on the long run?) Geoff's concept isn't too far off from principle used in karate, where you you build up tension (like a spring) up against your joints and fascia and then then let it explode (kime). But I notice that a lot of the older karate guys pay the price with joint problems, replacements, arthritis.

Geoff's knowledge and methods are top notch, but as a guy with only half the cartilage left in my knees, I would prefer to drive more muscle recruitment and burn more calories by increasing bell weight or increasing tension antagonistically while maintaining efficient joint movement.

Good discussion. I'm here to learn.

A swing though is horizontal force, a broad jump. A vertical jump, is not a hinge, more a squat. No?

Well, feet positioning seems to be a controversial issue. Kelly Starrett also favors feet straight because this generates more torque. He actually discusses this on the SF podcast.

Personally I feel this torque is too much for my knees. But I can see how this might create extra "springiness" for jumping.

Reactions: Rif
So if I'm understanding this correctly, many of the principles between the "SF athletic" swing and Geoff's are similar in operation, but Geoff is tweeking the foot placement to purposely make the swing less efficient, which will then require more muscle recruitment?
Everyone, this video is more than 8 years old and predates the existence of StrongFirst. If we want Geoff's opinion on this, probably good to get a fresh take on his point of view.

-S-

I've been using the foot straight ahead technique for years in powerlifting and when I swing and snatch kbs. I also have a replaced knee and it doesn't bother it at all. It's not the norm and most find best power with the toes slightly out ( see Brett's article ) but more than a few power and oly lifters lift with the toes straight.
It's not a beginners technique and I never teach it but there's nothing inherently dangerous in it , either

Very interesting.

I guess I could see advantages of making it less efficient to increase muscle activation and calorie burning. Should I be concerned that I'm driving that inefficiency through less than optimal joint movement? (how will it treat my joints on the long run?) Geoff's concept isn't too far off from principle used in karate, where you you build up tension (like a spring) up against your joints and fascia and then then let it explode (kime). But I notice that a lot of the older karate guys pay the price with joint problems, replacements, arthritis.

Geoff's knowledge and methods are top notch, but as a guy with only half the cartilage left in my knees, I would prefer to drive more muscle recruitment and burn more calories by increasing bell weight or increasing tension antagonistically while maintaining efficient joint movement.

Good discussion. I'm here to learn.
Its not about making anything less efficient but more efficient. Depending on your ankle and knee mobility and limb lengths you might find more power in this stance.
think about jumping; how many turn their toes out when broad or long jumping?

Well, feet positioning seems to be a controversial issue. Kelly Starrett also favors feet straight because this generates more torque. He actually discusses this on the SF podcast.

Personally I feel this torque is too much for my knees. But I can see how this might create extra "springiness" for jumping.

The key to not feeling any torque in the knees when squatting with toes straight is creating the torque in the ankle first and putting the ankle into neutral. we can do this with rooting techniques ( gripping the floor, spreading the floor, pushing the floor apart,etc )
you don't want to feel torque in your knees, that's for sure

I've been using the foot straight ahead technique for years in powerlifting and when I swing and snatch kbs. I also have a replaced knee and it doesn't bother it at all. It's not the norm and most find best power with the toes slightly out ( see Brett's article ) but more than a few power and oly lifters lift with the toes straight.
It's not a beginners technique and I never teach it but there's nothing inherently dangerous in it , either

I think if you have good hip mobility you can do them however, I don't really have an opinion as I normally just do them from a slighty toes out, which is my neutral.

The article I linked had some really good insights into power development relative to interior/exterior rotation, pronation/supination.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom