all posts post new thread

Nutrition Gaining weight (?) for barbell work

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Throwing in my best numbers by bodyweight for additional thought. At 5' 10" and 180 lbs I worked up to 400 on the squat, 300 bench (275 for 5 reps), 255 seated behind the neck press (for 5 reps), all at less than 7% bodyfat - 30" waist.

And I wasn't the strongest guy by weight by a long shot. IMHO you can tell when your diet is holding you back if you are all lean and your weights simply will not increase and stay that way (assuming you aren't burning out). Add calories for a week and your comfortable weights will go up with no extra conscious effort. Keep it up and your weight will go up following this, but strength seems to always improve first, then size increase locks it in.

There is a lot of space to get stronger before that happens for most folks, but the formula is pretty reliable - have a problem first, add food second, and if it fixes things it was the calories, increase bodyweight third. If it doesn't, it wasn't the problem and more weight probably won't help.

Steve, great input as always. However, what's great about this forum is the participants who have had different backgrounds and experiences in their lifting. If someone is familiar with Starting Strength or 5/3/1 with people with similar interests who's advice he trusts (as much as you can on an internet forum) so be it.

I LOVE kettlebells and it's my primary source of fitness, but it's not the only thing I've ever done.

If we were discussing juicing or a direct competitor, I'd understand. Maybe this thread should fall into Everything Else, but Sean wanted to know about nutrition.

With much respect.
@BrianCF, thank you.

Our articles section includes lots of barbell programs, PTTP is a barbell program, PTTP Pro and Beyond BodyBuilding including many barbell programs including quite a few to add both size and strength. I confess it troubles me that some people think of StrongFirst only as about kettlebells, and I guess that's what I was reacting to. (And the same could be said about bodyweight - we have tons of great programming from @Karen Smith and others in our articles section, and we have the Naked Warrior book.)

Search Results for "Barbell" on StrongFirst

Search Results for "Bodyweight" on StrongFirst

-S-

@Steve Freides I edited an earlier post to keep it more general - to discuss the contention that “You most eat more / gain weight to get stronger”, which I am sure is more nuanced than is typically argued.

There is a lot of space to get stronger before that happens for most folks, but the formula is pretty reliable - have a problem first, add food second, and if it fixes things it was the calories, increase bodyweight third. If it doesn't, it wasn't the problem and more weight probably won't help.
+1
Look at middle weight Oly lifters, shredded and stronger than strong

Another program to look into is Tactical Barbell. Novice LP always made me feel like crap because of the nature of adding weight constantly. YMMV.

TB is a little more in line with StrongFirst principles. It’s about training strength more than expressing it like you will be doing in the advanced novice portion of LP.

As for nutrition, my favorite tip I’ve ever heard is from the Chrissie Wellington book No Limits. “Eat like a poor person.”

Rice, meats, vegetables.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom