all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Galvanized pipe problem

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Edy

First Post
Hello there,
Recently I built in my back yard a mini calisthenics Park with a pull up bar, dip bars and a Swedish Wall. For the bars I've used galvanized pipes since they don't get rusty.
After I've done some swings I noticed my palms gettting really irritated and it started to hurt.
Can somebody tell me if that is normal with that type of pipe(if so what can I do in order to diminish the pain) or if it happens to any type of bar because of the swing.

Thank you in advance!

Hello there,
Recently I built in my back yard a mini calisthenics Park with a pull up bar, dip bars and a Swedish Wall. For the bars I've used galvanized pipes since they don't get rusty.
After I've done some swings I noticed my palms gettting really irritated and it started to hurt.
Can somebody tell me if that is normal with that type of pipe(if so what can I do in order to diminish the pain) or if it happens to any type of bar because of the swing.

Thank you in advance!
Unless you have an allergy to zinc or zinc oxide, it shouldn't be causing the problem. I've used galvanized pipe for my chinning bars for 60 years without a problem. May be the kettlebell handles are rough. My 32 kg. is a cheaper kbell and the seam on the handle is quite rough. I've also had issues with powder coated bell handles sticking to my skin causing them to chafe. Sandpaper and emery cloth may help.

Hello there,

Thank you in advance!
Do you mean swings on the bar? (Pipe)
It could just be friction.
I hesitate to say this... but have you tried chalk?

Do you mean swings on the bar? (Pipe)
It could just be friction.
I hesitate to say this... but have you tried chalk?
I've used chalked and the pain went away but instead I got very little skin tear(not so much that I would bleed but enough to be visible)
Is this a normal thing which I have to get used to or am I doing something wrong(can it be too much chalk maybe?)

Thank you.

The surface of galvanized pipe can vary from very smooth to very rough. Maybe yours could be sanded smoother. If you don't want to sand the pipes try a coat of a good quality car wax.

Galvanized pipe can safety be sanded by hand as it isn't a hazardous material. A mask and eye protection should be used to protect yourself from the small zinc sanding dust particles. If galvanized items are heated by cutting with power tools or a flame cuter dangerous fumes will be produced.

Use sandpaper with about 180 to 220 grit and check the surface often so you don't remove too much of the galvanized surface. If you can find sandpaper on rolls it would be easier to use than sheets. A mechanical sander isn't recommended as it will remove too much of the galvanizing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom