all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed General Conditioning

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JoeF2000

Level 1 Valued Member
I was reading an article by Pavel T. that said, for general conditioning, one only needs to do 100-200 heavy swings 2-3x a week. My question is, how can someone be generally conditioned with just BW exercises.

*Keep in mind I’m a beginner whose conditioning is lacking to say the least.*

Perhaps the nearest bodyweight equivalent exercise to swings is squat jumps. Perhaps try a similar protocol: 10 x 10 approximately on the minute, 3-5 times a week.

Don’t neglect the aerobic tank that replenishes the fuel for such efforts. That is best done with easy endurance (below 180 minus age heart rate) for at least 30 minutes per session.

I’ll do those squat jumps and running 3x a week. How long should I train aerobic running before moving to sprint work?

Hello,

Easy running 2 or 3 times a week during 45 minutes and why not 1 or 2 HIT sessions (Tabata, hill / stair sprints)

Kind regards,

Pet'

If you want to follow Maffetone’s protocol, which is a good idea, three months strict aerobic work with increasing gradually increasing volume using the 180 formula is a good place to start.

I was reading an article by Pavel T. that said, for general conditioning, one only needs to do 100-200 heavy swings 2-3x a week. My question is, how can someone be generally conditioned with just BW exercises.

*Keep in mind I’m a beginner whose conditioning is lacking to say the least.*
Joe...
Whenever the term general conditioning comes up it requires some context. It can mean many things to many people.
Also to properly frame an answer to your question it would be helpful to know a bit more about you. Age, weight, injuries, training history, and especially what your specific goals are.
Welcome to SF

I'm no expert but for general fitness and health in the most generic sense without equipment, I'd think a good calisthenics program plus walking/jogging/rucking and some hill sprints would be a good start.

I agree with Pavel here from my own experience. Doing S&S 3 times a week is enough to stay very fit and strong, and keeping the cardio-vascular system strong also. S&S involves 100 heavy swings each session followed by 10 getups.

Now, this is hardly the only way to stay fit!

A more natural way is to go on long walks about every second day; in my experience 75 minutes a walk is the right amount. Mixing in any amount of running into this walk makes the walk just so much better.

In fact, my personal daily exercise hierarchy goes like this:

1. Judo training - blows the others out of the water.
2. Long walk with runs mixed in if possible for 75 minutes - frankly speaking better overall exercise than anything with weights - more natural for body shaping and better for cardio-vascular and structural aspects.
3. S&S - only takes 30 minutes and can be done in my house - more strength-intensive than the above but also more demanding than walking. Kind of a "perfect" exercise, and extremely efficient given the limited time it takes.
4. GTG strength lifts - no sweat so unnecessary to shower right after; deadlifts, military kettlebell presses, ring dips, chinups, kettlebell goblet curls...

If I can do 1 I do, if not then 2 if not then 3 etc...

I agree with Pavel here from my own experience. Doing S&S 3 times a week is enough to stay very fit and strong, and keeping the cardio-vascular system strong also. S&S involves 100 heavy swings each session followed by 10 getups.

Now, this is hardly the only way to stay fit!

A more natural way is to go on long walks about every second day; in my experience 75 minutes a walk is the right amount. Mixing in any amount of running into this walk makes the walk just so much better.

In fact, my personal daily exercise hierarchy goes like this:

1. Judo training - blows the others out of the water.
2. Long walk with runs mixed in if possible for 75 minutes - frankly speaking better overall exercise than anything with weights - more natural for body shaping and better for cardio-vascular and structural aspects.
3. S&S - only takes 30 minutes and can be done in my house - more strength-intensive than the above but also more demanding than walking. Kind of a "perfect" exercise, and extremely efficient given the limited time it takes.
4. GTG strength lifts - no sweat so unnecessary to shower right after; deadlifts, military kettlebell presses, ring dips, chinups, kettlebell goblet curls...

If I can do 1 I do, if not then 2 if not then 3 etc...
I just sucked it up and paid for KB’s. I’ll do S&S three days a week and a 30 min LSS run the other 3 days to build an aerobic base. Thank you for the ideas.

you won't regret it!

Definitely! A quick anecdote on my own experiences with KB training and conditioning:

A couple of years ago, I started a seated desk job and, in an effort to build and maintain my fitness, started performing daily sprints up the 136 step spiral staircase from the underground (subway station) to the street on which I worked. I did this almost every working day, 5 days a week and, after a couple of months, I found myself getting less out of breath once I reached the top and had built significant muscle mass in my upper leg (I had to throw out one of my favourite pairs of jeans as they no longer fit!).

Fast forward to the present, I no longer work at that job and have been training with kettlebells for a couple of years. Whenever I find myself back at that subway station, I always sprint up the steps for old time's sake. In spite of the fact that I'm doing this maybe once a month at most as opposed to 5 days a week, I can now get to the top faster than ever before and with plenty of 'gas in the tank' once I get there.​

I just sucked it up and paid for KB’s. I’ll do S&S three days a week and a 30 min LSS run the other 3 days to build an aerobic base. Thank you for the ideas.
Yes, good idea. S&S cannot replace long walks or good runs. The body's musculature and structure are made primarily for displacement i.e. walking and running, not for swinging things or lifting things. The swinging and lifting capabilities are good if added on top of the more fundamental exercises of walking and running. That's what I think at least. Also in my past I've gone for long periods of time ONLY walking and running, and these were more than adequate to maintain my strength and health. The arms are actually used while walking and running and they get mild strength gains, and of course the core gets a very good workout from them.

It's definitely better to add some kind of weight training on top of walking and running though - of course. But, in my opinion, lifting or swinging weights and NOT doing road work is an error.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom