all posts post new thread

Off-Topic General purpose truck gun

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I am trying to decide on a general purpose truck gun. I live in Canada so it must be non restricted. It would be tossed in the truck for back roading Sunday drives to hunt groundhogs, coyotes, etc. So obviously not needing anything too high caliber. I was thing a 12g pump, but then you're limited to range. There's also a straight pull non restricted. 223 that caught my eye. Any ideas or thoughts?

A 6mm (.243) has light/fast varmint options and heavier bonded big game options. Mild recoil, easy to reload if that's your thing, can be obtained in various actions. 243win, 6mm creedmore, 6mm ARC; any one of them would make a good general purpose gun.

Also, not looking for any fancy glass or optics. I'd like to keep it as simple, reliable,and worry free.

Thought I'd post the .223 that caught my eye. Toss on some magpul flip up sights or something.

There's also this one which is non restricted...........for now. But for how long I don't know. And I don't really want to spend money on a gun which might be prohibited in the future and have to buy another one

I have a Marlin 30-30 336Y. Is billed for youth but a lot of grown shooters jokingly call it the "truck" model. Length of pull is about the same as AK variants and barrel is shorter as well, so it moves around easier than the full size models. If you're a big guy it might feel a little cramped. I'm 5'10" and it fits fine.

A little smoothing of the feed gate and it reloads/tops off quick and easy.

For what you're aiming for a .223 or 5.56 is perfect, loaded with the right type of ammo. I'm not from the Great State of Canadia, so I don't know how non-restricted works so I can't help you with specifics like that... straight pulls are pretty sweet tho.

For what you're aiming for a .223 or 5.56 is perfect, loaded with the right type of ammo. I'm not from the Great State of Canadia, so I don't know how non-restricted works so I can't help you with specifics like that... straight pulls are pretty sweet tho.
I figured with a straight pull there's fewer moving parts, a little less maintenance, and more reliability. Sort of a speedier bolt action with quicker follow up shots

Regarding e .223, many states/territories have minimum caliber restrictions for certain game and I think .243 is more often than not that minimum. For a "general purpose" rifle, I think it should meet that minimum caliber constraint.

Regarding the 30-30, it looks like you're interested in a semi auto platform; the 300blk is basically a modern day 30-30. However, neither 30-30 or 300blk are going to be good for little varmints at long ranges.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom