all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Genetics...?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Here is a question I posed to one of our brothers on another thread...

I think it is generally accepted that genetics play a role in physical attributes. If you want to be great... pick great parents.

Are things like motivation, willpower, or whatever we choose to call it genetically determined?

Genetics is the dirty word of the sports and fitness world. Because everyone wants to believe in the Rocky-esque "eye of the tiger" where you can just work and train harder than everyone else and be a champion.

The truth is champions are born, not trained. The top level of every (strength or power based, anyway) sport and endeavor is filled with the top .1% of 1%. Genetic outliers. Freaks. We all know em. I went to high school with a guy who deadlifted 405, double overhand with no warmup the 1st time he ever touched a weight. I know another who power cleaned over 400 as a junior in high school before he moved on to be a D1 thrower.

More than 99% of people on Earth no matter how hard they train, how well they eat or how many drugs they take will never be champions.

I firmly believe drive is developed in early life and not genetically gifted, however.

Last edited:
My niece is a D1 runner at Oregon State, assuming they actually race this year. She practiced jui jitsu a couple times a week as a kid, didn’t try running until HS. From the beginning she was winning and setting school records. She has worked hard since then, but she was fast from the start. I, in contrast would deem it a miracle if after years could move from the back of the pack to somewhere in the middle.

So if parents have willpower and motivation and similar positive traits... could it not be possible that these have a genetic component that could be passed on?

I am personally suspicious that there is little genetic component of personality, just based on the sort of random variance that I observe between siblings. Just to give an example, my two kids, who are about 2 years apart in age. My daughter is a bit of a control freak and a perfectionist, and absolutely HATES to fail at anything. My son is so easy going it's like he drifts through life like a leaf in the wind - he has zero fear of failure, meaning he's willing to try anything once. I can't say either is particularly like my wife or myself, it just seems to be who they are. Is it an oldest child / youngest child dynamic? Are we somehow subtly raising them differently because one is a boy and one is a girl? Or is this just inherent in them? Who knows...

I could point to similar examples of myself and my brother, or my wife and her brother.

There may be some genetic aspects to personality, but I have to suspect they are not the dominant effect.

Genetics is the dirty word of the sports and fitness world. Because everyone wants to believe in the Rocky-esque "eye of the tiger" where you can just work and train harder than everyone else and be a champion.

How many people actually get hung up on that?

I don't see recreational basketball players ceasing to enjoy it because they'll never be in the NBA, or recreational tennis players or golfers mad that they're not going to Wimbledon or Augusta.

I'm perfectly happy as a recreational weightlifter competing in my age 50-55 bracket and having fun. Yeah, I enjoy training to improve and compete, but nobody in my peer group is going to the Olympics and we're all cool with that.

I'm perfectly happy as a recreational weightlifter competing in my age 50-55 bracket and having fun. Yeah, I enjoy training to improve and compete, but nobody in my peer group is going to the Olympics and we're all cool with that.

Sure - but none of you are selling anything!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom