all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert asks for beta testers for THE GiANT X and KETTLEBELL MAXIMORUM

I love the addition of the push press in this program. I know the original Giant has that as an option but i really like the varied movement and the extra leg work that you get. I was debating on which weight I wanted to start with and went with double 24s even though I probably could’ve use the 28s some of the heavy days looked intimidating. I think I’m going to run at eight weeks with 24s and then re-run it with 28s is the plan. Fun stuff, I planned on only doing 20 minutes but felt extra good today and went for 25. Loving the rep schemes as well.

I was debating on which weight I wanted to start with and went with double 24s even though I probably could’ve use the 28s some of the heavy days looked intimidating. I think I’m going to run at eight weeks with 24s and then re-run it with 28s is the plan.
I am in the same spot as you. I think my 2x24k RM is around 14.

The last time I "OFFICIALLY" checked my RM was at the end of Phase 2 of Strong! in September. I used 2x24k bells for Strong. I was feeling good so I tested 2x28k bells. I got 5 reps with the 28k bells and 1 rep with the 32k bells.

After Phase 3 of Strong! I am certain I can do more than 5 reps. However, I haven't done an "official" test.

I decided that 24k bells would be the prudent choice to start Giant X.

I figured I was a "tweener" so I am doing the full 30 minutes.

I am VERY glad I chose the 24k bells. I started Giant X on Monday. I got 7 ladders. Yesterday was the heavy day. The ladder with 7 reps was intense. Challenging but not impossible. I got 5 1/3 ladders.

I don't think I would have gotten more than two ladders with the heavy day rep scheme and 28k bells.

I also plan to try the 28k bells after the 8 weeks of Phase 1.

@Geoff Neupert Curious to hear your thoughts on using DPP in KB Maximorum. My 2x32kg DCP is 4-6RM depending on how the body feels, but as the training volume accumulates, the 2x32s start getting difficult for pressing. So I have two choices here

1. Replace 2x32s with 2x28s and double the squats

or (something I am leaning towards)

2. Continue using 2x32s but switch to push press when fatigue builds up

@Geoff Neupert Curious to hear your thoughts on using DPP in KB Maximorum. My 2x32kg DCP is 4-6RM depending on how the body feels, but as the training volume accumulates, the 2x32s start getting difficult for pressing. So I have two choices here

Same boat for me, except I don't have 28's my next bells down are 24's. I can DPP the 32's but is that ok?

I am in the same spot as you. I think my 2x24k RM is around 14.

The last time I "OFFICIALLY" checked my RM was at the end of Phase 2 of Strong! in September. I used 2x24k bells for Strong. I was feeling good so I tested 2x28k bells. I got 5 reps with the 28k bells and 1 rep with the 32k bells.

After Phase 3 of Strong! I am certain I can do more than 5 reps. However, I haven't done an "official" test.

I decided that 24k bells would be the prudent choice to start Giant X.

I figured I was a "tweener" so I am doing the full 30 minutes.

I am VERY glad I chose the 24k bells. I started Giant X on Monday. I got 7 ladders. Yesterday was the heavy day. The ladder with 7 reps was intense. Challenging but not impossible. I got 5 1/3 ladders.

I don't think I would have gotten more than two ladders with the heavy day rep scheme and 28k bells.

I also plan to try the 28k bells after the 8 weeks of Phase 1.
I also started Giant X (1). But I'm not as strong as you are: starten with 2x20 which are a 9rm (with a 10th grind rep). In the past I've done the giant 1.0, but never more. Yesterday I had the heavy day. The 7 reps really got me. Felt so much more heavy than the 5 or 6 reps i've done before. Made it to 4 1/3 ladders in 30 minutes. Which is 5 total reps more than the medium day on tuesday.

I also started Giant X (1). But I'm not as strong as you are: starten with 2x20 which are a 9rm (with a 10th grind rep). In the past I've done the giant 1.0, but never more. Yesterday I had the heavy day. The 7 reps really got me. Felt so much more heavy than the 5 or 6 reps i've done before. Made it to 4 1/3 ladders in 30 minutes. Which is 5 total reps more than the medium day on tuesday.
Nice work Dimitri87!

Done the first week of Maximorium. Using 28 kg for both days. Tried doubling the squats but lead to big decrease in clean and press rounds due to increased need for recovery. Will match reps going forward. Going to rep out last set of squats to get some extra leg work without negatively affecting the pressing volume.

@mvikred,

Great question.

For now, let's just follow the programming as written.

Remember, you can always rest longer between sets. This is an important point that people forget. They end up rushing their rest periods and bastardizing strength work by turning it into MetCon.

Also remember, what you can do on Week 8 will look very different than what you can do today.

Hope that helps.

One rep of the SSP is a "cycle" of 1 rep each side.

So, 1L+1R = 1 SSP.

Therefore, 1 Clean between each SSP.

Hope this makes sense.
Ooooooh. See, I thought I was being so smart and re-reading the exercise description in KB Muscle, where it doesn't appear (to me) that there's a clean. Today, I did the SSPs without a clean, so plugging that into the mix next week. Thanks Geoff.

There's a reason the rest is autoregulated

Just do the work.. for sure, by week 3-4 you'll be doing twice the volume than you did when you started and that is a sign of progress..

The usual trap we fall into is we think we need to ratchet the volume initially..

@mvikred,

Great question.

For now, let's just follow the programming as written.

Remember, you can always rest longer between sets. This is an important point that people forget. They end up rushing their rest periods and bastardizing strength work by turning it into MetCon.

Also remember, what you can do on Week 8 will look very different than what you can do today.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for this reminder. I did however do exactly this yesterday. So kept using the 2x32s as prescribed. Got through the set but took sufficient amount of rests. Realised I needed less rests for the FSQs. So rested a bit more before the DCPs and a little less before the FSQs.

Also fully aligned with your view on mixing strength work with metcon. Thankfully because of your programs and in general strong first principles, I've moved away from that for the past 2 yrs now. And it has only helped me more - fewer-to-no injuries, consistent strength gains, etc. So fully aligned with that view !!

2 days into maximorum, hands already ripped in 3 spots. As a massage therapist that sucks so going forward I'll use unsecured gymnastics grips to prevent the tears. Initial experiences have been fun! Tested at 24kg on the snatch and got 4 reps with the same weight doubled so i decided to back it down to 20s for the doubles work. The volume will take care of everything it seems and going a bit lighter allows for shorter rest and a little more conditioning than heavier without going full metcon. Heart rate in the 130 to 140 range at 46 years old. Cheers all!

2 days into maximorum, hands already ripped in 3 spots. As a massage therapist that sucks so going forward I'll use unsecured gymnastics grips to prevent the tears. Initial experiences have been fun! Tested at 24kg on the snatch and got 4 reps with the same weight doubled so i decided to back it down to 20s for the doubles work. The volume will take care of everything it seems and going a bit lighter allows for shorter rest and a little more conditioning than heavier without going full metcon. Heart rate in the 130 to 140 range at 46 years old. Cheers all!
I don't know the protocol but tearing is largely a technique issue. Keep your hands loose to facilitate the bell "slipping" across the palm as the handle transitions from hooked fingers to base of hand. Overgripping or deathgripping the bell forces it to rotate against your skin, often causing tears. Wet hands from sweat don't help, so wiping them off or using a little chalk on the fingers helps.

I don't have experience with gymnastics grips, but cotton gardening gloves with the fingers cut off can also save your palms in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom