all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert asks for beta testers for THE GiANT X and KETTLEBELL MAXIMORUM

I've just finished phase 1 (wk 6) Maximorum. Noticeable size gains across the upper body and lower body (I'll send details to Geoff), and my strength has really taken off. I wasn't looking forward to the 6 reps c&p (2×28kg) today, but they went up fairly easy, the 6th rep took effort, but there was another in the tank each set. My squats have exploded, they have never been a strong point of mine, with skinny legs, but 6 reps were pretty straight forward. Adding the Snatch is genius (32kg for me). Could be the ultimate GPP programme, covering strength and power with double and single bells! I'm loving it, bring on Phase 2!

I did X1 up untill week 6 day 1. Unfortunatly I got sick for about a week. I was thinking of going back and run week 5 again. Or should I continue with week 6 and let autoregulation take care of it (and probably reach lower numbers I would reached otherwise)?

I did X1 up untill week 6 day 1. Unfortunatly I got sick for about a week. I was thinking of going back and run week 5 again. Or should I continue with week 6 and let autoregulation take care of it (and probably reach lower numbers I would reached otherwise)?
Just my opinion which may not be worth a lot but since you only missed 1 week, I'd begin again with week 6 day 1.

This week was week 6 for me. And it was a heavy week, but it was do able. Although I think I’m convinced my body likes 4 week training periods with a deload week involved. These last two weeks coming up are gonna be tough. I’ve been super busy with work, kids, prego wife, and house projects that might contribute to my lack of energy too lol. Still I was able to bang out 72 reps Wednesday. But today I barely got 40 something and called it quits at 23 min.

Was suppose to finish GiantX week 8 hard day this past Saturday but BJJ destroyed me the previous Friday. Did the final hard day today. Deloading the rest of this week. Testing next week sometime! Overall I enjoyed the structure and programming of this GIANTX more than any of the GIANT 1.0 versions.

Week 8 is for REAL!

I rolled right into X2 after I finished X1.

I just completed Week 2 of X2. I plan to run X3 after X2. Between running all 3 phases of Strong and Giant X, I will have spent a whole year with the 2x24k bells. I am excited to see my results when I test in April at the conclusion of my 24k Bells year.

Week 8 is for REAL!

I rolled right into X2 after I finished X1.

I just completed Week 2 of X2. I plan to run X3 after X2. Between running all 3 phases of Strong and Giant X, I will have spent a whole year with the 2x24k bells. I am excited to see my results when I test in April at the conclusion of my 24k Bells year.
Savage man. I’m taking a week off for sure after week 8. I kind of basically have been going for 10 weeks though because I did 2 weeks, got sick half a week and started over. I felt good today though

Just hit the heavy day of week 8 and remembered why as I get older high rep ladders need to be limited lol. I always seem to strain something, nothing major just felt a little tension in my lower neck from pushing through a few reps. The sets of 10 are no joke. Probably going to take two days off then finish the last session.

Just hit the heavy day of week 8 and remembered why as I get older high rep ladders need to be limited lol. I always seem to strain something, nothing major just felt a little tension in my lower neck from pushing through a few reps. The sets of 10 are no joke. Probably going to take two days off then finish the last session.
Glad it was not just me that wanted to die on that day. Yeah that was some tough sets!!! Testing tomorrow

Week 8 Heavy Day is the real thing!

I agree about the neck tension in high rep sets. I have to remind myself that I need keep my neck loose and relax my face muscles so I don't have a sore neck the next day.

So I received an email from @Geoff Neupert yesterday with the following statement regarding common mistakes;

[1] Going too close to failure or worse - hitting failure on sets

Assuming that I am resting adequately, what should I do during the Giant X trial please, if I encounter the above scenario? I have just started week 5.

Currently some reps are slow and I have missed two reps. Missing the reps reinforces the notion that I am too close to failure.

One argument is I chose the wrong bells. But I can't change the bells mid-trial.

Should I terminate a) the set, b) the session, or c) the trial?

Thank you.

So I received an email from @Geoff Neupert yesterday with the following statement regarding common mistakes;

Assuming that I am resting adequately, what should I do during the Giant X trial please, if I encounter the above scenario? I have just started week 5.

Currently some reps are slow and I have missed two reps. Missing the reps reinforces the notion that I am too close to failure.

One argument is I chose the wrong bells. But I can't change the bells mid-trial.

Thank you.
I encountered the same issue and missed reps at the end of week 4 of maximorum. At first i wanted to change from press to pushpress but this didn't work out and as i had enough time i started a new run on the programm with lighter bells.

Thank you.
I also missed a C&P rep during the Maximorum beta. It was the last rep of a set of five with about five minutes left to go in the session. Turns out I never did another set of C&P that day because I never felt strong enough to hit a set of five.

Bottom line, I think it’s a rest issue. I know you’re assuming you’re getting sufficient rest, but maybe you’re not resting long enough. I am resting longer than I would have thought for the beta. I’d keep going with the weights you’re using, rest more, and log how you’re feeling and performing. That’s useful data for Geoff. If you started with a true 5RM (or whatever Giant X calls for) and are missing reps, he needs to know. Maybe the programming is too aggressive. If we all adjust the programming or bell selection so we know we’ll complete it instead of taking the parameters he gave us and working within them, he doesn’t know if his parameters will work. Rest more and if you still miss reps, you’re giving him good data for his experiment.

Bottom line, I think it’s a rest issue. I know you’re assuming you’re getting sufficient rest, but maybe you’re not resting long enough. I am resting longer than I would have thought for the beta. I’d keep going with the weights you’re using, rest more, and log how you’re feeling and performing. That’s useful data for Geoff. If you started with a true 5RM (or whatever Giant X calls for) and are missing reps, he needs to know. Maybe the programming is too aggressive. If we all adjust the programming or bell selection so we know we’ll complete it instead of taking the parameters he gave us and working within them, he doesn’t know if his parameters will work. Rest more and if you still miss reps, you’re giving him good data for his experiment.

I think our experiences good or bad are part of Geoff's research. (If I can be bold enough to speak for him.) It's the reason for the Beta Test with a larger group of end users.

I am doing Giant X. I also missed the final rep on the first time through anew rep scheme on heavy day.

This is part of what I sent to Geoff when I finished X1:
"The auto-regulation was something that I, for the first time, really paid close attention to for a program. I love to push myself too hard early in a program and then destroy myself later in the same program. I wear a heart rate monitor when I train. I considered myself ready for another set when I got to 120 bpm. However, early in the program, I fudged a little when I felt like I wasn't working hard enough. This caused me to begin another lift before I was fully recovered later in the program. Usually this wasn't a problem. I caused myself a little bit of a problem on the first heavy day of Week 4 when I got to the 3rd ladder of nine reps rung. I failed on Rep 9. Put the bell down and got the 9th lift. The same thing happened on the Heavy Day of Week 8. On the 10th lift of the 3 ladder, my bell stuck at about eye level. I put the bell down and time expired. So I only got 9 lifts.

This is not a fault of the program. It is me learning auto-regulation with high rep sets. This is something I have never done before."

I was not happy with myself for missing those lifts. But that's what happened. I reported it to Geoff Neupert because he would want to know.

Back
Top Bottom