all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert Kettlebell Strong - Different size double kettlebell?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rosario

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi All,
I am thinking about starting the Kettlebell Strong program by Geoff Neupert. I've multiple kettlebells (from 16kg to 32kg), but I've a single kettlebell for each size (a 16kg bell, a 20kg bell, and so forth).

Does using two kettlebells of different sizes make sense? Of course, every set I should switch then heavy bell with the light one.

Thanks and stay safe! ;)

Rosario

Pavel did write a program meant for uneven bells called Enter the Kettlebell Plus - it's in an issue of Milo magazine. I've never used it since it's a bit too advanced for me but I've heard very good things about it.

Pavel did write a program meant for uneven bells called Enter the Kettlebell Plus - it's in an issue of Milo magazine. I've never used it since it's a bit too advanced for me but I've heard very good things about it.
Single offset size and doubles.. it was originally one of the ways to bridge single to double bell

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask @Geoff Neupert here:
I'm on Giant 3 right now, dbl 32s.
Did a couple of cycles with 24s & 28s last year, using it as a main tool for recovery from shoulder injury.
I notice that I'm much more comfortable with long rests, as 3-5 minutes, and I'm not capping myself on suggested session length.
That's most likely because of having 2 days of 044 snatches, which I would like to keep. So, instead of of the rest days, I make my rest between sets longer.
Can I ask about the initial intention of limiting the session to X min (if I understood it correctly), and would you suggest to stick to the time limit or would it work as intended like I do it now, going for the certain volume, and having longer sessions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I notice that I'm much more comfortable with long rests, as 3-5 minutes, and I'm not capping myself on suggested session length.
That's most likely because of having 2 days of 044 snatches, which I would like to keep. So, instead of of the rest days, I make my rest between sets longer.
I'm not Geoff, but I've thought about this issue because even though I enjoy the timed sessions like in The Giant and DFW, I also tend to gravitate to longer rests, because I end up doing a lot of my training during breaks in my office at work so I'm not often unable to do an uninterrupted timed session like The Giant, and because I still like to do 044 snatches or double cleans alongside a 3x/week C&P program.

Short answer, if you're not autoregulating within a timed session, you're not doing the program.

Slightly longer answer, if you have some experience under your belt, know what you like and what your body responds to, I think you do have a reasonable basis for adapting training ideas to your needs.

Longer answer:
I think you can make it work. One option is just to keep the same session length and just rest longer and do a lower volume. That's fully within the autoregulation parameters of the program. If you want to make the session length a little longer, I don't think that would be a problem. And if you want to keep the rep schemes from The Giant and just make up a reasonable target volume and volume progression (linear or wave), based on experience, I think that could work too.

Another option is just to pick a different program that isn't based on density or timed sessions, such as Strong. I've also had good success with the program linked below. It's a program by Fabio Zonin that he says is based on a Plan Strong press program, although the article aims it at squats. So I re-adapted a squat program to presses that was adapted from a press program. It's based on a 5TRM (technical rep max) and mainly uses one weight, with small amount of a heavier weight mixed in:
5TRM Program

He also has an article about a similar program based on a 1TRM. I haven't tried this one yet. It's a little lower average volume, but with more waviness from week to week and a few more reps with the overload bell:
1TRM Program

Thanks for your detailed answer, @Steve W., as well as for the ideas. The idea was exactly as described in the "longer answer". I can't say I'm experienced enough to play with complicated programming stuff, but if I won't try, I'll never know.

Can I ask about the initial intention of limiting the session to X min (if I understood it correctly), and would you suggest to stick to the time limit or would it work as intended like I do it now, going for the certain volume, and having longer sessions?
I am not Geoff either, but he mentions a study (from Denmark I think) that 30 minutes sessions seem to be more effective for progress than 60 minute sessions (at least for fat loss), due to a better hormonal response and less fatigue.

What's more, I think all good programming has fixed as well as flexible parts. With S&S, the volume and the weights are fixed, but the rest between sets, time of the day, sessoins per week, etc. are flexible and autoregulated. With the Giant the weight, sessions per week, session length, and the reps per set are fixed (but waved) whereas volume and rest are flexible and autoregulated.

With Q&D almost everyhthing is fixed (weight, volume, reps per set, rest times), but the overall volume is kept low and wavy and there is the off-day option (5/4 for 2 series, possibly even with less power).

In the past I have tried other plans from other sources where everything was fixed and I failed miserably. I think it is key to find a programming style that suits your circumstances and likings.

For example, similar to what @Steve W. describes, I usually don't have 30 uninterrupted minutes available. Therefore I prefer plans with low to moderate overall volume and long rests. I can usually do this type of training while watching sports, cooking dinner or even doing other chores. This could be ROP, the plan that Steve W. posted, Victorious, the TGUs from S&S, etc.

I also prefer very wavy weeks where the days are not fixed - I can than move around my sessions to suit my weekly schedule.

I am not Geoff either, but he mentions a study (from Denmark I think) that 30 minutes sessions seem to be more effective for progress than 60 minute sessions (at least for fat loss), due to a better hormonal response and less fatigue.
Yes, sounds true to me. I do have my optimal timeframes for training session, but they're different for different modalities, load, rep range, etc. For fairly heavy low reps load ~40 min seems to be the best for me.
I think it is key to find a programming style that suits your circumstances and likings
True, that's the way.
Thanks for your detailed answer and time taken.

I don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask @Geoff Neupert here:
I'm on Giant 3 right now, dbl 32s.
Did a couple of cycles with 24s & 28s last year, using it as a main tool for recovery from shoulder injury.
Thanks in advance.
@Alexander Halford ,

So if I'm reading this correctly, it's about 'THE GIANT' - not the "Strong!" program, correct?

If so, then rest as you wish between sets.

If you're on the "Strong!" program, stick to the time limit, but only train 2x week, and use your 044 Snatch program twice a week. This should improve your recovery.

Hope that helps.

@Alexander Halford ,

So if I'm reading this correctly, it's about 'THE GIANT' - not the "Strong!" program, correct?

If so, then rest as you wish between sets.

If you're on the "Strong!" program, stick to the time limit, but only train 2x week, and use your 044 Snatch program twice a week. This should improve your recovery.

Hope that helps.
Yes, it's about The Giant.
Thank you, Geoff, much obliged.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom