all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

My experience has been that if one of the positions helps, it’s immediately noticeable. As in you test a movement (I use goblet squat) and in some cases I’ll gain 6 or more inches of movement after doing the exercise. That’s not to say some positions aren’t taking longer to progress or that it doesn’t take time. Just that I’ve found progress to be immediate in many cases, which is super gratifying.

Will post my thoughts in a few months but after about 6 weeks, this program has been shockingly effective for me. I am hopeful/optimistic that progress will continue and the issues I’ve been working on for a long time (sore back, poor mobility) will finally be resolved. So far I’ve seen significant improvement in mobility and some improvement in back.

Note - I’m still mostly on Phase 1 as I really struggled with the dead bugs (kept having to regress to get muscles to fire properly) and couldn’t do prone until this week as it locked up my back. Added two Phase 2 exercises, under Geoff’s guidance, as they helped me immediately (I ponied up for the Deep Dive sessions with Geoff and they have been super helpful).

I seem to remember someone saying that. I guess sitting or another one might do that for me as my posture needs work but my hips/deep squat is OK.

Given time constraints and efficiency, at what point do you think there are diminishing returns in DB volume and reps when there are other exercises you could do? 100? For example, I read a book by Chad Waterbury who said that for hypertrophy, a rep of 30 was the point of diminishing returns for assistance exercises with smaller muscles where beyond that the stimulus was too light. Five is a well known number for strength. etc.
@guardian7,

Sorry, behind on my forum check ins lately.

100-150 reps total of 20-30 reps per set seems to be the "sweet spot" for most with Dead Bugs, based on extensive testing over the last 10+ years. I like pushing to 5 x30 with myself and private clients.

Why?

Re-grooving/rebuilding old, disused neural pathways and tissue remodeling to support those pathways.

There's lots of other research and experiences I read and had over the last 25+ years to support this as well that I won't bore you with.

Hope this helps.

I am slowly making my way through Phase 2 sitting and lunge positions as my hamstrings and right hip are extremely tight. I would have jumped ahead to Phase 3 too soon if I received the entire program at once. ...maybe it should be called P4 if we add in Patience!
This is EXACTLY why we unlock it in 30-day time periods. :)

As others have responded, the program is intended to have you do all three Phase 1 exercises in a session, though you don’t have to if you are time limited. They are meant to build on each other. Definitely don’t wait till you get to phase 3 of supine.

Include locomotion for each exercise.

Do full reps for each one, as best you can. They may not all progress at same pace, and that’s fine.

Always good to check in here. Apparently I am doing it wrong, so that is why I didn't see more of an effect. Thanks for the clarification. I am going to review the video.

Just spending my time slowly building up the side facing part of phase 1. Agree that it is a feature and not a bug to be forced to go slowly, especially as I can’t fit it in every day. Enjoying the journey.
This was the shocking position to me, especially since I'd done years of side-bridging in the past.

It's the nuances that really get you.

Glad you're enjoying the journey.

I figure that it will be more like stretching or posture adjustment than weight training where it will take more time to see results.
The results are immediate and take time, at the same time.

You can test the "immediacy" with the Test/ReTest.

But the "take time" is still the same, or at least similar mechanisms of adaptions in weight training:

Re-building of disused neural pathways and tissue remodeling to support those pathways.

The cool thing is you can speed up the process if you load your body after your P3 work. Just be sure to use the Test/ReTest to make sure you're not shutting yourself down. (This may be another post for another time, but hopefully you get the gist.)

This is EXACTLY why we unlock it in 30-day time periods. :)

I thought that was an interesting idea. Those who bought anyway would be more likely to do the program properly and report back good results so others would be interested. Even from a business point of view, losing some impatient customers initially would probably be made up in great client satisfaction, new clients, and client satisfaction. Proper training aside, it is interesting from a business psychology point of view. There is also a reward of unlocking a level like a video game. Maybe more digital products should be designed this way. I am going to buy the full version when I have earned it by owning level 1.

Right now things are simple because all I’m doing is supine to introduce things slowly, but a few questions for when I progress that someone else may be able to point me to in the PDF/somewhere:
  • Do I wait until I get to level 3 position of supine before introducing side lying? Or should I be running all the phase 1 level 1 positions now?
You should be running all Phase 1 positions now.
  • Do I wait until I get to the rep goal of the supine locomotion before introducing side lying locomotion?
No. Introduce them simultaneously.
  • Same questions for side lying to prone (and beyond).
  • If I’m doing two-three positions in a day do I split the reps between them or just stack the reps on top of each other?
Either. As long as you get them done.
I quite like the “once I’ve done X I can do Y” aspect of progressing within supine from level 1 to level 2 to level 3, but beyond that I’m not clear on how to progress position to position. Just want to make sure I get the most out of the program I can when I get to that stage.

(If anyone has answers that require details of the program feel free to PM me too).
Run all 3 positions simultaneously.

Depending on your training and injury history, they'll all progress at different rates, which is perfectly acceptable.

Hope this helps.

The results are immediate and take time, at the same time.

You can test the "immediacy" with the Test/ReTest.

But the "take time" is still the same, or at least similar mechanisms of adaptions in weight training:

Re-building of disused neural pathways and tissue remodeling to support those pathways.

The cool thing is you can speed up the process if you load your body after your P3 work. Just be sure to use the Test/ReTest to make sure you're not shutting yourself down. (This may be another post for another time, but hopefully you get the gist.)

Maybe it would be good to explain shutting down some other time. Also, the pros and cons of when to do it: warm-up stand alone, before bed etc.

Maybe it would be good to explain shutting down some other time. Also, the pros and cons of when to do it: warm-up stand alone, before bed etc.
I 2nd this.

In regards to warm-up, I usually do a shortened version of P3 as I find if I do the full progression I’m too loose during my training. It’s harder for me to get tight when C+P higher reps

I got Manly Mobility along with Easy Muscle.

Earlier this year I overdid pike pushup training with accommodating resistance, which resulted in right shoulder pain when reaching overheard and towards my left armpit while showering.

After just 2 sessions of Manly Mobility, I've regained some of that lost pain-free ROM.

I only see Phase 1 videos when I log on but the content seems to be good enough for me.

Hey all,
You know those testimonials Geoff always has on his site from his programs? Well, this is about to be one of those.

I've been running P3 for about three weeks now. In my mid 40's, I've been slowly rehabbing many injuries from my misspent youth over the years, but some just have held on. I've tried EVERYTHING. It's not even worth mentioning how many things I've tried-if you can think of it, I've done it. The most positive progress in the past was with goblet squats, which fixed long-standing back issues. Now P3...

I'm going to keep a running update of my progress with this course, but so far:
-I've had a forever "POP" when rotating my neck in a certain motion. It was nasty, and crunchy. It is now gone. That is impossible, but it is. It's been there for 15 years-easily. I've done plenty of OS in the past, which is what led me to this program. I don't know why/what is so different, and I honestly don't care. If it works, it works.

-I've had a loud, weird, and uncomfortable pop when anytime doing dead bugs previously. Now this isn't fully gone yet, but I've never had anything dissipate whatever the heck it is. It's right where my sacrum joins my spine, and only on my left side. It seems again, that something in the prone series is addressing this, as if I do that one prior to supine it goes away completely.

A note here-these aren't like cracking your knuckles pops I'm talking about. These are like "something's the matter/out of place pops". They're not "cracks"...they're like hitches in certain ranges of motion.

-I had lower rib pain for the past 5 years or so from rowing. This one I can identify-somewhere in the prone series, this somehow fixed itself. Like the pain wasn't horrible, just something that was always present. Again-I'd tried tons of things to no avail. Not only is it gone, but I can feel my upper back slowly opening up more with the breathing.

-For about a year, I've had a pain around my lower right abs. Again, nothing major, but whatever it was it wasn't getting better. It's about 50% I'd say of what it was.

-My hips are slowly loosening up in the cross-legged supine position.

So those are the things that have been fixed (or are in process of fixing). I've been consistent on a daily basis over these few weeks, but geez-talk about bang for your buck. Less pain=better mood-the best benefit of all.

Yes-doing this is like brushing your teeth. It's dry as dirt. But at the end of the day, it's low-effort, and in my case anyway, high reward.

Ya know-I'll actually hit up what I've tried that hasn't worked just for fun: Stretching (yes, all the kinds), clubs (heavy and light), OS, ground-based movement/animal flow, essentrics, foundation training, bands (theraband, looped band, handled bands), pilates, physical therapy, calisthenic programs (reddit recommended, online programs, apps), yoga (slow, fast, restorative)...I mean you get the idea. I've forgotten more things then I can remember.

My suggestion to anyone on the fence-TRY IT! Like for real-don't half effort it. Give it a few weeks of genuine effort...maybe log those small injuries you think will never go away-then see what happens. The thing about those aches and pains is when they're gone, you forget they were ever there. Maybe it works for you, maybe it doesn't, but for 20-30 minutes a day of low effort work. As this is a continuum of movements-I can't imagine where I'll be in a few months.

A heartfelt thank you to whatever magic you've created here Geoff. This program was made for someone like me...athletic, yet injury prone. Can't thank you enough, and I promise I'll keep updating every few weeks - good or bad.

Anyway-thanks again Geoff-amazing work here!

Well I am not quite ready to fully move on to level 3 even though it’s unlocked but I wanted to give all the positions a quick trial to see how they feel and I realize now why squatting has always caused me pain even though my squats “looked fine” I simply haven’t developed the core stabilization muscles that are necessary to squat properly. I can get into a deep squat but it’s beast to stabilize that position and not want to fall backwards and off balance. I’ve always used prying goblets squats as a way to “counter balance” myself but I think that may have been actually hindering me, the kettlebell was keeping me from tumbling backwards not my own core.

I plan on working all these positions even longer than what the program lays out, I still keep doing some of the movements from level 1 even though I’m on level 2.

If people start this program hoping it will be a magic pill with immediate results it might discourage them, but if you stick with it I believe it could be the long term answer to a lot of peoples imbalances. I can feel the results starting to happen but I feel I likely need to do this for a solid year or so, and really put in the reps to undo a lifetime of compensated movements. I’ll likely hold off on squatting with weight for a while and see if I can’t rebuild myself and test again in few months.

Well I am not quite ready to fully move on to level 3 even though it’s unlocked but I wanted to give all the positions a quick trial to see how they feel and I realize now why squatting has always caused me pain even though my squats “looked fine” I simply haven’t developed the core stabilization muscles that are necessary to squat properly. I can get into a deep squat but it’s beast to stabilize that position and not want to fall backwards and off balance. I’ve always used prying goblets squats as a way to “counter balance” myself but I think that may have been actually hindering me, the kettlebell was keeping me from tumbling backwards not my own core.

I plan on working all these positions even longer than what the program lays out, I still keep doing some of the movements from level 1 even though I’m on level 2.

If people start this program hoping it will be a magic pill with immediate results it might discourage them, but if you stick with it I believe it could be the long term answer to a lot of peoples imbalances. I can feel the results starting to happen but I feel I likely need to do this for a solid year or so, and really put in the reps to undo a lifetime of compensated movements. I’ll likely hold off on squatting with weight for a while and see if I can’t rebuild myself and test again in few months.

I think a good test for you might be an unloaded (dowel) overhead squat. I started doing unloaded deep squat holds and that gives valuable feedback. Much harder to stay upright without the KB.

if you stick with it I believe it could be the long term answer to a lot of peoples imbalances.
That's what I need to hear.

What attracted me the most is a mail @Geoff Neupert sent out about his love/hate of get-ups. I am looking to solve those issues and all the other alignment stuff so I can move well.

-》》What can one reasonably expect to see after a year of 3 times a week?

That's what I need to hear.

What attracted me the most is a mail @Geoff Neupert sent out about his love/hate of get-ups. I am looking to solve those issues and all the other alignment stuff so I can move well.

-》》What can one reasonably expect to see after a year of 3 times a week?
I think you will feel looser in the hips for sure, and I’m hoping to really gain some strength in the core stabilizer muscles. But I think it’s going to replace my old mobility work for the long term.

I did it right for the last two days and found the side lying and egg rolls very beneficial. Neck/spine is way too crunchy. Hip health is good and shoulder health is OK, but T spine mobility is poor from sitting at the computer a lot. I found the prone half-roll much more difficult than it should be. Not good. I had an early start today and was going to skip it last night but I couldn't sleep and my body felt too tight. I did deadlift, squats and rucking the last three days and was sore. Then my body seemed to tell me to do the session and I did and felt much better and slept right afterwards. I walked taller today I could feel. The supine position didn't seem to do much for me (deadbugs are not new to me) but with the the side lying definitely felt immediate benefits. I can't even lay my left arm comfortably on the ground in the side lying position. As Geoff and others said progress is both fast and slow depending on what you need I guess.

Last edited:
I did it right for the last two days and found the side lying and egg rolls very beneficial. Neck/spine is way too crunchy. Hip health is good and shoulder health is OK, but T spine mobility is poor from sitting at the computer a lot. I found the prone half-roll much more difficult than it should be. Not good. I had an early start today and was going to skip it last night but I couldn't sleep and my body felt too tight. I did deadlift, squats and rucking the last three days and was sore. Then my body seemed to tell me to do the session and I did and felt much better and slept right afterwards. I walked taller today I could feel. The supine position didn't seem to do much for me (deadbugs are not new to me) but with the the side lying definitely felt immediate benefits. I can't even lay my left arm comfortably on the ground in the side lying position. As Geoff and others said progress is both fast and slow depending on what you need I guess.
Some days I have to force myself to do it. It’s not glamorous but I feel better when I put the reps in. For me side laying didn’t do much I really felt the prone position. But getting to level 2 lunge is what really helps me. Gonna spend a lot of time in those lunge positions. I tried out the level 1 squat positions and they are no joke, probably need more time in previous levels.

Back
Top Bottom