all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Geoff Neupert P3 protocol

Some days I have to force myself to do it. It’s not glamorous but I feel better when I put the reps in. For me side laying didn’t do much I really felt the prone position. But getting to level 2 lunge is what really helps me. Gonna spend a lot of time in those lunge positions. I tried out the level 1 squat positions and they are no joke, probably need more time in previous levels.

Yeah, I have pretty good consistency of resistance programs over the years but definitely have trouble with adherence to mobility programs/goals except some passive stretching. I am going to think of this P3 as physio that I have to do to rehabilitate, which is not that much of a stretch with regards to posture issues. I have done OS on and off and core work but with regard to mobility, having this plug and play set program is already helping. I would rather not have to think/program about it as that tends to open up the possibility of not doing it or messing with it. Even Geoff said that he treated it like something he had to do rather than a workout he enjoyed.

Some days I have to force myself to do it. It’s not glamorous but I feel better when I put the reps in. For me side laying didn’t do much I really felt the prone position. But getting to level 2 lunge is what really helps me. Gonna spend a lot of time in those lunge positions. I tried out the level 1 squat positions and they are no joke, probably need more time in previous levels.
I was shocked at how challenging these were for me, especially after all the crawling.

The payoff was well worth it to me - made my squats feel the best they ever have.

For years I’ve worked on improving some postural and/or mobility issues related to my left hip, scapula and ribs. Now I’ve been doing the free part (first phase) of the P3 protocol for some time now and I’ve had big noticeable effects already, especially from the side lying position. At first there was nothing noticeable and I almost gave up on it, but after a few weeks something really started happening. It’s quite something, feels like my body is correcting my spine alignment when I breathe and do the head control work in the side lying position. The cool part is that the effects are even more noticeable the next day, and they are sticking as well.

I’ve done plenty of OS resets during the past few years, which also has helped my mobility and posture a lot, but the P3 protocol has already opened some doors that the resets never touched.

Thank you @Geoff Neupert for putting this program together and thank you for sharing the first phase for free. I will definitely get the full program once I reach level 3 of the first phase.

If you’re reading this thread thinking about whether to get the program or not, get it and devote the time for it. It really pays off.

Last edited:
For years I’ve worked on improving some postural and/or mobility issues related to my left hip, scapula and ribs. Now I’ve been doing the free part (first phase) of the P3 protocol for some time now and I’ve had big noticeable effects already, especially from the side lying position. At first there was nothing noticeable and I almost gave up on it, but after a few weeks something really started happening. It’s quite something, feels like my body is correcting my spine alignment when I breathe and do the head control work in the side lying position. The cool part is that the effects are even more noticeable the next day, and they are sticking as well.

I’ve done plenty of OS resets during the past few years, which also has helped my mobility and posture a lot, but the P3 protocol has already opened some doors that the resets never touched.

Thank you @Geoff Neupert for putting this program together and thank you for sharing the first phase for free. I will definitely get the full program once I reach level 3 of the first phase.

If you’re reading this thread thinking about whether to get the program or not, get it and devote the time for it. It really pays off.

You might be making the same mistake that I did. There is no phase 1 level 3. You do all three phase 1 position exercises in the same session but in that sequence. When you archive 30 reps in all of them then you go to Phase 2. There are not three steps to level 1. You don't wait until you can do 30 reps of supine before moving to side lying in other words. The diagram is a little unclear (it is not really a progression sequence one by one but the sequence of a single session for each level). The instructions could be clarified on this point. The diagram uses the term phase but the text uses the term level. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the site [square brackets added]
  1. For the best results, do this daily. Once you can hit 30 breaths and 30 Neck Nods, you're ready for Level 2 [not position 2]

You might be making the same mistake that I did. There is no phase 1 level 3. You do all three phase 1 position exercises in the same session but in that sequence. When you archive 30 reps in all of them then you go to Phase 2. There are not three steps to level 1. You don't wait until you can do 30 reps of supine before moving to side lying in other words. The diagram is a little unclear (it is not really a progression sequence one by one but the sequence of a single session for each level). The instructions could be clarified on this point. The diagram uses the term phase but the text uses the term level. Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the site [square brackets added]
  1. For the best results, do this daily. Once you can hit 30 breaths and 30 Neck Nods, you're ready for Level 2 [not position 2]
Thanks for the clarification. I think I am doing it like prescribed, so all three positions back to back every session, without waiting to reach 30 reps on any of them to include the next one. I just have not reached the standard on dead bugs just yet, so don't feel ready to move on to the next phase.

Thanks for the clarification. I think I am doing it like prescribed, so all three positions back to back every session, without waiting to reach 30 reps on any of them to include the next one. I just have not reached the standard on dead bugs just yet, so don't feel ready to move on to the next phase.
I made the same mistake before I bought the program. The free version is just phase 1 level 1, each position has increasingly more difficult variations (the levels). Side lying phase 1 has 4 levels. When you reach 30 breaths, head nods, head turns in side lying level 1 then you move to phase 1 level 2 side lying (a harder position) and continue. Same with supine and prone, they each have 3 or 4 variations. Once you master each harder variation then there's phase 2.

@Geoff Neupert

- Current nominal practice -

I bought Manly Mobility as an add-on to my Easy Muscle purchase, and since then, I've been practicing it.
(it's been many weeks at this point)
So, I've been doing the 3 ground positions 2-4 times per week 10 reps at a time.
I've been including it throughout my days while I get up from my desk and grab a coffee.
About 10 Reps of breathing, head control, and locomotion, is about as much time as I can feel reasonably taking per break.
And I've been also been practicing the 3 basic holds of McGill's big 3 (just for context).

- Head Control - Muscle Burn -

I've been doing these mostly in sets of ten and trying for sets of 30 a select few times to see about graduating in the progression from level 1 to 2 to 3. At this point, I've gotten up to being able to do breaths and head control to a 30 count holding the pose with some burning sensation in the core and neck. Is holding the pose with muscle burn too much objectively or is that up to me?

- Breath Control - Dizziness -

as far as the Breaths are concerned I find that for myself as a tuba player I can make myself dizzy with 2-4 100% capacity breaths.
I don't imagine that dizziness is called for. so I'm trying to gauge what's intended. Because, full breaths, taken slowly (for me - and I can not stress this enough, having played tuba for over 20 years), take a long time. I might have to video it to prove it - but 20 minutes seems unfeasible for 3 poses. I'm probably closer to 30-40 minutes using maximal breaths, and not allowing myself to induce dizziness. Head control, I can do relatively promptly, but I just did 15 full breaths and it took quite a while. (note to self, bring a stopwatch, and update this post.)

should I slow those breaths down and take more time, inviting a greater likelihood of failure, or should I not quite get to 100% lung capacity while breathing during the holds? (maybe 75 % lung capacity breaths while breathing behind the shield.) to take an example - S&S calls for a hip bridge but it's not for time(it's not the intention to hold it for 60 seconds(not maximal - just substantial)), it's just to get to a max contraction, and straight hips. corollary: is the breath here supposed to be maximal - or just substantial?

- Dead Bugs - Lower Back -

A full load of dead bugs is not currently visible on the horizon. (just a statement on my current ability - not a comment on the program)

If my lower back is experiencing tension and discomfort from dead bugs after 10 reps is that something I'll look to strengthen otherwise from back exercises? I'm not fluent in how to target strength development in the lower back. All I've read about the lower back is that it is easy to overload. But, I'm periodically working with the McGill Big 3 in small doses as well (10s/hold; 1min/hold/day; 3 days/week). And, maybe I'll just continue working with the bird dog pose as a part of my practice, and look to augment my back's capacity for now; which is to say "I'll keep going and enjoy the process" keep the dead bugs at 10 reps / set till things get better.

- OVERALL -

Overall - many things continue to improve - I'm just experiencing some questions about the above finer details.
- my lower back continues to experience mild improvements from an injured state; induced months ago
- my forward bend and goblet squat still experience some relief in the test-retest.

I suppose that, in general, I'm asking something like: how much should I relax about the rate of progression? Completely?
And, in general, I suppose my only gripe is - this thing doesn't quite fit into a coffee break from my desk too neatly. (but, that's neither here nor there; it's more of a Me-Problem)

Last edited:
@Geoff Neupert

I bought Manly Mobility as an add-on to my Easy Muscle purchase, and since then, I've been practicing it.
So, I've been doing the 3 ground positions 2-4 times per week 10 reps at a time.
I've been including it throughout my days while I get up from my desk and grab a coffee.
About 10 Reps of breathing, head control, and locomotion, is about as much time as I can feel reasonably taking per break.
And I've been also been practicing the 3 basic holds of McGill's big 3 (just for context).

I've been doing these mostly in sets of ten and trying for sets of 30 a select few times to see about graduating in the progression from level 1 to 2 to 3. At this point, I've gotten up to being able to do breaths and head control to a 30 count holding the pose with some burning sensation in the core and neck. Is holding the pose with muscle burn too much objectively or is that up to me?

as far as the Breaths are concerned I find that for myself as a tuba player I can make myself dizzy with 2-4 100% capacity breaths.
I don't imagine that dizziness is called for. so I'm trying to gauge what's intended. Because, full breaths, taken slowly (for me - and I can not stress this enough, having played tuba for over 20 years), take a long time. I might have to video it to prove it - but 20 minutes seems unfeasible for 3 poses. I'm probably closer to 30-40 minutes using maximal breaths, and not allowing myself to induce dizziness. Head control, I can do relatively promptly, but I just did 15 full breaths and it took quite a while. (note to self, bring a stopwatch, and update this post.)

should I slow those breaths down and take more time, inviting a greater likelihood of failure, or should I not quite get to 100% lung capacity while breathing during the holds? (maybe 75 % lung capacity breaths while breathing behind the shield.) to take an example - S&S calls for a hip bridge but it's not for time(it's not the intention to hold it for 60 seconds(not maximal - just substantial)), it's just to get to a max contraction, and straight hips. corollary: is the breath here supposed to be maximal - or just substantial?

A full load of dead bugs is not currently visible on the horizon. (just a statement on my current ability - not a comment on the program)

If my lower back is experiencing tension and discomfort from dead bugs after 10 reps is that something I'll look to strengthen otherwise from back exercises? I'm not fluent in how to target strength development in the lower back. All I've read about the lower back is that it is easy to overload. But, I'm periodically working with the McGill Big 3 in small doses as well (10s/hold; 1min/hold/day; 3 days/week). And, maybe I'll just continue working with the bird dog pose as a part of my practice, and look to augment my back's capacity for now; which is to say "I'll keep going and enjoy the process" keep the dead bugs at 10 reps / set till things get better.

- OVERALL -

Overall - many things continue to improve - I'm just experiencing some questions about the above finer details.
- my lower back continues to experience mild improvements from an injured state; induced months ago
- my forward bend and goblet squat still experience some relief in the test-retest.

I suppose that, in general, I'm asking something like: how much should I relax about the rate of progression? Completely?
And, in general, I suppose my only gripe is - this thing doesn't quite fit into a coffee break from my desk too neatly. (but, that's neither here nor there; it's more of a Me-Problem)
I noticed the same thing about the breathing. If I do 30 breaths in a row for 3 exercises in a row I get a bit light headed. So I break them up and do ten breaths then head nods and then 10 breaths 10 head nods until I’m finished. Seems to work for me. I do a lot of Wim hoff breath work too and according to him over oxygenating your body isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But that’s a whole different subject.

@Adachi - lots of good questions and insights in here. Please scroll down for my thoughts...

A good start.

That's up to you. I've done sets of 100 with the head control drills, especially the nods, (in positions not shown in P3 which require more neck strength). Does it burn? Yes.

Do I care? No.

Why not?

I'm keeping the end in mind: Tissue remodeling, and head control, among other things.

I don't imagine that dizziness is called for. so I'm trying to gauge what's intended. Because, full breaths, taken slowly (for me - and I can not stress this enough, having played tuba for over 20 years), take a long time. I might have to video it to prove it - but 20 minutes seems unfeasible for 3 poses. I'm probably closer to 30-40 minutes using maximal breaths, and not allowing myself to induce dizziness. Head control, I can do relatively promptly, but I just did 15 full breaths and it took quite a while. (note to self, bring a stopwatch, and update this post.

No, we don't want dizziness. So no need to take 100% capacity breaths. 80% is enough. No breathing behind the shield either. We don't want "cognitive" muscle contractions.

If my lower back is experiencing tension and discomfort from dead bugs after 10 reps is that something I'll look to strengthen otherwise from back exercises?
Good question. No, you can get it from proper positioning of your dead bugs and your prone work will also help.
I'm not fluent in how to target strength development in the lower back. All I've read about the lower back is that it is easy to overload. But, I'm periodically working with the McGill Big 3 in small doses as well (10s/hold; 1min/hold/day; 3 days/week). And, maybe I'll just continue working with the bird dog pose as a part of my practice, and look to augment my back's capacity for now; which is to say "I'll keep going and enjoy the process" keep the dead bugs at 10 reps / set till things get better.

- OVERALL -

This is good to hear.
Yes, relax about it, completely. Do as much as you can tolerate. PM me for more details.
Take longer coffee breaks. ;-)

My office has hard concrete floors and I’ll do the breath work and the head nods on my breaks with a yoga mat, but the power moves are a no go. Rolling and crawling on concrete is no fun.

I made the same mistake before I bought the program. The free version is just phase 1 level 1, each position has increasingly more difficult variations (the levels). Side lying phase 1 has 4 levels. When you reach 30 breaths, head nods, head turns in side lying level 1 then you move to phase 1 level 2 side lying (a harder position) and continue. Same with supine and prone, they each have 3 or 4 variations. Once you master each harder variation then there's phase 2.

I am just working on the free version at the moment. The levels must be clearer in the full version, which would explain it. That must be a lot of content to work on for years.

Last edited:
Today I advanced to the second lunge position and … I had trouble even getting into the position and breathe correctly. I never did those lunges correct because of they always felt easy.

My hip/lower back problem did not get much better the Last 7 weeks, BUT with this position I feel like I found something. We will see how my hips feel some weeks from now.

Today I advanced to the second lunge position and … I had trouble even getting into the position and breathe correctly. I never did those lunges correct because of they always felt easy.

My hip/lower back problem did not get much better the Last 7 weeks, BUT with this position I feel like I found something. We will see how my hips feel some weeks from now.

It seems to be the case that a different position will be the one that an individual needs most and has immediate effects while others should be done for maintenance. Supine didn't do that much for me but side lying immediately helped.

It’s funny because I found the level two lunge position to be easier and less effective for me than level one. Maybe it’s because level one you can kind of lean into it a bit more and stretch.

After yet another day of being unable to hit 100 dead bugs I feel like I really don't have to worry about adding any core work to my current program while running P3.

My 20 month old daughter likes to do her own version beside me on the living room floor when I get down to do a set. She is ridiculously mobile and strong!

Back
Top Bottom