all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

I have the same question as Craig1971- I think my greatest challenge now is my breathing. When to inhale and exhale during clean and press specifically.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned breathing every two reps and my goodness that helped my tightness. I was doing sets of two so didn't have to think about anything, just stayed tight and got the reps done.

Primarily directed at @Geoff Neupert , but I would appreciate the feedback of other folks here as well...

As someone who started out at over 385 lbs and dropped a bunch of weight through running (4x marathoner at 240 lbs), adopting strength work has been a relatively new thing for me. Since starting kettlebell work some months back, my appreciation for strength only grew.

I am currently about 250 lbs and could easily get down to 215-220. I have heard about the idea of "dry fighting weight" and love the anti-metcon mentality.

As someone who could stand to lose 30 lbs or so, is there a program or programs that might work better than others?

I will say, I do enjoy lifting heavy (sets of 5/side). I will add that I only have single KB. No doubles.

Thanks in advance.
I too fight the "bulge" and have a special disliking of those people who can eat what they want and never get heavy! If I'm not careful I blow up easily! I've often said I can hear myself getting fatter!

Having said that the Giant Program has helped me keep my weight in the "better for me" range even throughout the holiday season! Up about 5 or 6 from last year but pants are looser and strength/strength endurance are up.....not scientific but to me it's a good measure!

The Giant can be done with a single kettlebell.

Primarily directed at @Geoff Neupert , but I would appreciate the feedback of other folks here as well...

As someone who started out at over 385 lbs and dropped a bunch of weight through running (4x marathoner at 240 lbs), adopting strength work has been a relatively new thing for me. Since starting kettlebell work some months back, my appreciation for strength only grew.

I am currently about 250 lbs and could easily get down to 215-220. I have heard about the idea of "dry fighting weight" and love the anti-metcon mentality.

As someone who could stand to lose 30 lbs or so, is there a program or programs that might work better than others?

I will say, I do enjoy lifting heavy (sets of 5/side). I will add that I only have single KB. No doubles.

Thanks in advance.
@ThePhoenixRises ,

The "best" program is the one that:

1. You enjoy or see yourself enjoy doing
2. Actually can do
3. Have the tools to do (For example: DFW requires 2 kettlebells, not one.)
4. Will keep doing.

I have many programs.

The most "fat loss focused" single KB program(s) I have is Kettlebell Burn 2.0 / RELOADED.

And yes, there's "heavy" lifting in there too. If you are interested, please PM me.

Hope that helps.

I found a downside to the Giant:

Swings are so boring now.

Even double KB swings.

Sure, there is always the art of perfecting the form, which is never ending.

And double KB swings are a nice change of pace, but compared to C&P, it feels a bit like I'm just wasting my time or doing a warm up.
The swing might be boring for me too nowadays, but I sure owe it a lot. Yet, you just sold me on the Giant... now that my right shoulder is mostly healed and my t-spine mobility is passable for presses.

First though, I'll spend a couple of months with ETK Plus to touch base with my squats and pullups while I gradually bring my presses to pre-injury level. I just started this week.

I like that ETK Plus is more in line with the Giant's rep scheme and just as efficient time-wise.

@Geoff Neupert can the Giant be run alongside traditional but limited barbell training? I have access to an outdoor gym, but only once per week. I was considering doing The Giant(single kettlebell version)on the days I'm not training with a barbell.

Thank you.

Obviously not Geoff here but I'm only saying this from my perspective as I'm older now and workout recovery is super important. I think a lot would be based on your age, training abilities and history. I would choose one or the other. I find using the appropriately sized kettlebells for the Giant to be quite exhausting by the end of the week. I know there's probably some who would disagree or who have better recovery than I do who would say otherwise but I personally wouldn't as the Giant is actually designed to be a narrowly focused program. Having said that I think Geoff has greenlighted "practicing" some barbell work for limited sets and reps I think on your "Giant" days maybe twice a week?? Just my 2 cents from someone who's done the program.

@Geoff Neupert can the Giant be run alongside traditional but limited barbell training? I have access to an outdoor gym, but only once per week. I was considering doing The Giant(single kettlebell version)on the days I'm not training with a barbell.

Thank you.
I think we need to consider the concept of "can" versus "should."

"Can" you?

Sure.

"Should" you?

Probably not.

MAYBE some low volume squatting. MAYBE...

But like @John Grahill said, it's about recovery.

Remember -

It's not how much work you can do, but how much you can recover from.

Hope that helps.

Two questions: @Geoff Neupert
(1) I've noticed that the top set for both 1.0 and 3.0 starts at 60% of the RM. For example, you do Giant 3.0 with your 5RM and the top set is 3 reps. With Giant 1.0, you use your 10RM and your top set is 60% of that...6 reps. If your RM with your bell is 7 or 8 does it make sense to do something more like a "3.1 or 3.2" where your sets over the week would be the same escalating sequence but your top set might be 4 or 5? I hope that makes sense.

(2) Given that this is a hypertrophy program, is there an increase in risk of injury if you are training with a calorie deficit or does it just turn into more of a fat loss program.

I was wondering the same thing about barbell training on top of The Giant. Before, I wouldn't even second guess it. In my crossfit days, I would do a barbell lift every day before my metcon. I've done various powerlifting and bodybuilding programs throughout the past few years as well. Aside from wendler's 531 community, I've never seen people advocate such minimal training than the kettlebell community, more specifically the strongfirst community.

When I started my home gym, I had planned on running wendler's kryptia program with kettlebells on the assistant work, in which I would alternate kb cleans/front squats for 10 reps in-between bench/military press sets and pull-ups/dips for 10 reps in-between deadlift/squat sets. But yet I don't have a squat rack and bench yet. Just a barbell and a few kettlebells.

Anyways, I'm currently addicted to kettlebell training, and my long-term goal is to eventually double clean and press the beast. I'm currently running 1.0 with 24s. I have 1 more day left, and I'm excited to start 1.1. I'm averaging about 100 reps/day with a 30 min timer. I'm also doing Zonin's "Don't Fear Heavy Weight" deadlift plan. He said that it was fine to run with ROP, so I didn't think that it would hurt alongside the giant. I also do pullups and ride on my peloton 3x/week. I've felt pretty good so far. But then when I come on here, I wonder if I'm over doing it. Should I be doing 20 min giant sessions, since I've been deadlifting as well? Or maybe alternate days between kb and barbell work, spreading things out over 6 days vs 3? Since I'm starting 1.1 on Monday, should I make any adjustments?

I also have Reloaded and was thinking about running the deadlifts/military presses from it 2x/wk my next cycle, when I start 1.2. Could do something like this:
M - Giant Day 1
T - Reloaded Heavy Deadlift/Light Military Press
W - Giant Day 2
T - Rest
F - Giant Day 3
S - Reloaded Heavy Military Press/Light Deadlift
S - Rest

Sorry for the novel. Just Throwing out ideas.

I was wondering the same thing about barbell training on top of The Giant. Before, I wouldn't even second guess it. In my crossfit days, I would do a barbell lift every day before my metcon. I've done various powerlifting and bodybuilding programs throughout the past few years as well. Aside from wendler's 531 community, I've never seen people advocate such minimal training than the kettlebell community, more specifically the strongfirst community.

When I started my home gym, I had planned on running wendler's kryptia program with kettlebells on the assistant work, in which I would alternate kb cleans/front squats for 10 reps in-between bench/military press sets and pull-ups/dips for 10 reps in-between deadlift/squat sets. But yet I don't have a squat rack and bench yet. Just a barbell and a few kettlebells.

Anyways, I'm currently addicted to kettlebell training, and my long-term goal is to eventually double clean and press the beast. I'm currently running 1.0 with 24s. I have 1 more day left, and I'm excited to start 1.1. I'm averaging about 100 reps/day with a 30 min timer. I'm also doing Zonin's "Don't Fear Heavy Weight" deadlift plan. He said that it was fine to run with ROP, so I didn't think that it would hurt alongside the giant. I also do pullups and ride on my peloton 3x/week. I've felt pretty good so far. But then when I come on here, I wonder if I'm over doing it. Should I be doing 20 min giant sessions, since I've been deadlifting as well? Or maybe alternate days between kb and barbell work, spreading things out over 6 days vs 3? Since I'm starting 1.1 on Monday, should I make any adjustments?

I also have Reloaded and was thinking about running the deadlifts/military presses from it 2x/wk my next cycle, when I start 1.2. Could do something like this:
M - Giant Day 1
W - Giant Day 2
T - Rest
F - Giant Day 3
S - Rest

Gotta say again, I've run the Giant and am still doing it. I wouldn't really add to the weekly pressing volume. If you can handle the extra work, I'm willing to bet you went too lightly with the weight you chose for the program ?! If you can handle the extra work like that you're a better man than I am!

M - Giant Day 1
W - Giant Day 2
T - Rest
F - Giant Day 3
S - Rest

Remember that if adding something to the main thing, the main thing must remain the focus.

So the question is what's your focus?

Gotta say again, I've run the Giant and am still doing it. I wouldn't really add to the weekly pressing volume. If you can handle the extra work, I'm willing to bet you went too lightly with the weight you chose for the program ?! If you can handle the extra work like that you're a better man than I am!
lol thanks, even though I'm 37, I still want to act like I'm 27 sometimes. But yeah 24kgs was my true 10 rep max when starting, because of my press strength. If it was based on the clean, I'd probably need 32s. My shoulder's strength is really underdeveloped compared to the rest of my body. Relied on kipping movements vs strength movements in order to "win" the workout for too many years. So my main focus with kb training is to develop shoulder strength, that's why I chose the giant. I did RoP for a cycle with the 24, prior to starting the giant. I went from pressing the 32kg 0L/1R to 2L/2R! I can't wait to retest again, but I think I'm going to wait until I finish 2.0 to retest, which is 3 more months with 24s. Then I'll order my 28s and repeat the program.

Remember that if adding something to the main thing, the main thing must remain the focus.

So the question is what's your focus?
You are correct. The Giant is a minimalist program, so adding to it doesn't really make it minimalist anymore. lol I think the problem with the internet is you have access to so much information that makes you want to try everything. My ultimate goal is to press the double beast one day. So that should be my main focus. I wouldn't mind being able to deadlift 5 wheels (495lbs) as well. Prior to covid, I was up to a 445lb deadlift. I guess I just need to do something justify my barbell purchase, while still being able to add to my kettlebell collection. lol

I'm making The Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg.
Week 3, day 2 after me.
I will not be able to do more/heavier with double kbs.
Maybe Giant 1.1 from single 24.
What will be better?
What will be the better next step?
The Giant 1.1 with single 24kg,
or
The Giant 3.0 with a single 28kg.

I am also thinking about some Strength aerobics, for a change.
I feel my joints..

I'm making The Giant 1.0 with 2x24kg.
Week 3, day 2 after me.
I will not be able to do more/heavier with double kbs.
Maybe Giant 1.1 from single 24.
What will be better?
What will be the better next step?
The Giant 1.1 with single 24kg,
or
The Giant 3.0 with a single 28kg.

I am also thinking about some Strength aerobics, for a change.
I feel my joints..
Hi Taro, I'm only sharing my own experience here but I felt the same way using the 2 x 36. By the 3rd week of the 1.0 I said to myself the 1.1 just won't happen. I'm now preparing to do week 2's workout 3 now. I would try to use the 2/ 24s if possible but accept the fact that there will be fewer overall sets. Compared to what I did with the 32s I am doing less overall volume but my results are "better" during this cycle.

@John Grahill your experience is brillant. ?
I did Giant 1.1 with 2x20kg.
Currently I do Giant 1.0 with 2x24.
I feeling this is my max.
Maybe with single kettlebell will be otherwise.

You are correct. The Giant is a minimalist program, so adding to it doesn't really make it minimalist anymore. lol I think the problem with the internet is you have access to so much information that makes you want to try everything. My ultimate goal is to press the double beast one day. So that should be my main focus. I wouldn't mind being able to deadlift 5 wheels (495lbs) as well. Prior to covid, I was up to a 445lb deadlift. I guess I just need to do something justify my barbell purchase, while still being able to add to my kettlebell collection. lol

Something to consider too..

If your body does not rapidly increase with pressing, then it is a sign not to rush things..

If you can press 24s for 10 then maybe a better goal to shoot for is to turn 28s into a 6-8rm in the next year?

Back
Top Bottom