all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

My cutoffs when I do any density programs

First week I aim for these on heavy day
Ladders 3 and a half rungs
Straight sets 5-6 sets

If I go below these, I used a heavy weight.. if I go 8 sets or 5 rungs, the weight is too light..

The session should also be at RPE 7

Excellent work John! Sounds like a cool program.

I'm currently about halfway through phase 1 of STRONG! with a 24 and a 16. How would you work this in after that? My plan was actually to either go into phase 2 slow and steady (hopefully after finding another 24 that won't break the bank), or switch over to a 2 week alternating S&S and PTTP cycle for the rest of the winter. But the Giant sounds pretty cool (I have Express Reloaded thanks to the Legacy collection), so I'm considering *that* as a third option after I finish Phase 1.

Having done both STRONG! and The Giant, what would think is a good next option? Since the goal determines, through the winter, I'm looking to pack on muscle and strength as my primary goals.

@patterner , I think both would serve you well. (Pleae keep in mind I am not an instructor and don't even play one on TV so it's just my opinion)....If you're halfway through Strong! Phase 1 your next logical step is phase 2 which if you did the "slow and steady" would take like 16 weeks which takes you to the winter months. If you do a rep max after phase 1 or 2 of "Strong!" and get 10 or more reps then consider the Giant. Or best yet, do the "slow and steady" and then hit up the Giant.

Depending on what your rep max is post ph1..

Apart from going to slow and steady, assuming you have a 7-8rm you can consider you don't know squat 1.0 from ultra then once finished with that, you'll probably be more than ready for giant 1.1

I have a copy of the Giant.

I haven't serious with kettlebell for a while, so I start with low weight (double 20 kg).

It seems reasonable for me. Sets of 7 are challenging. I know that my stamina is not good, so I choose the ladder one.

First session (actually is the 3rd day in the program), I get 64 reps. The second session (1st day in the program) I get 63 reps.

Only things sore are my forearms.

@CoreyW , I kind of was thinking the same thing...double king sized killer or double long cycle of death...the only thing at this point is I'm in the Giant Series....gonna be a while at them too!

The Giant is a great product. The 3.0 template is very similar to STRONG! phase 1. In correspondence with Geoff, the 3.0 template can be tweaked slightly to accommodate a 7-8RM pair of bells, to get it to 10RM which in turn opens up 1.0 through 1.2.

This sounds like a great plan. Is there any way to get details on how you would go about this? I just started the Giant today with 24’s. I have 28’s that I would have liked to use but it’s more of a 7 rep max or so for me with them. If I could do 3.0 with then and make it my 10RM that would be great! Thanks for any info on this!

This sounds like a great plan. Is there any way to get details on how you would go about this? I just started the Giant today with 24’s. I have 28’s that I would have liked to use but it’s more of a 7 rep max or so for me with them. If I could do 3.0 with then and make it my 10RM that would be great! Thanks for any info on this!

Two options come to mind.

Run 1.0-1.1-1.2 using 24s then retest your 10 rm with 28s

Run 3.0 with 28s then retest rm after..

If it's a comfortable 10rm, then run 1.0 with 28s.

I started with 3.0 and 28 kg, which is more of a 5 to 6 RM for me. Began with 20minutes and added 2 minutes per week. I‘m in week 4 right now, will add another week to get the full 30 minutes and I‘m pretty confident that I‘m able to switch to 1.0 afterwards.

That’s awesome. Thanks for all of the input. Very much appreciated. After I finish 1.0 with the 24’s I’ll absolutely give that a shot and see if I can make 28’s my new 10 RM. Then hopefully back to 1.0 with the 28’s. That’d be great. Maybe someday get to doing it with 32’s like some of you guys...man that seems heavy.

The Giant is a great product. The 3.0 template is very similar to STRONG! phase 1. In correspondence with Geoff, the 3.0 template can be tweaked slightly to accommodate a 7-8RM pair of bells, to get it to 10RM which in turn opens up 1.0 through 1.2.
Thanks, @Sean M . Glad you like it.

@Geoff Neupert : any tipps how to switch after finishing Giant 3.0 to STRONG! ? Phase 1 as written would be much less volume than I‘m doing with the giant right now (15x3 on W3D3 in 20 minutes). I‘m not ready for the next bell size with doubles yet, also have no access to a bigger pair right now.

Other thought I had, maybe Giant 3.0 with 3,4,2 or 4,5,3 or try the jump to 1.0.

Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance! I honestly enjoy this DKB C+P programs so much. :)

I've run Strong twice. I've been off the forum for many months. Is Giant available by invite only?

Back
Top Bottom