all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

@Geoff Neupert : any tipps how to switch after finishing Giant 3.0 to STRONG! ? Phase 1 as written would be much less volume than I‘m doing with the giant right now (15x3 on W3D3 in 20 minutes). I‘m not ready for the next bell size with doubles yet, also have no access to a bigger pair right now.

Other thought I had, maybe Giant 3.0 with 3,4,2 or 4,5,3 or try the jump to 1.0.

Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance! I honestly enjoy this DKB C+P programs so much. :)
What's your current rep max for your clean and press??

Top of mind is run the slow and steady ph2 from strong.. Once you are done with that I have no doubts your current pair will now be a 10rm

@Geoff Neupert : any tipps how to switch after finishing Giant 3.0 to STRONG! ? Phase 1 as written would be much less volume than I‘m doing with the giant right now (15x3 on W3D3 in 20 minutes). I‘m not ready for the next bell size with doubles yet, also have no access to a bigger pair right now.

Other thought I had, maybe Giant 3.0 with 3,4,2 or 4,5,3 or try the jump to 1.0.

Suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance! I honestly enjoy this DKB C+P programs so much. :)
@Brookes ,
Sure, don't go straight from 3.0 to "STRONG!". :)

I'd go to 1.0 and see how you do there. Then 2.0. Then 1.1, then 1.2.

Glad you're enjoying it.

Hope that helps.

It’s available for purchase here: EXPRESS! - DIRECT - FB_Lead->Report2

Thanks for the link, purchased. My wife has been bugging me about starting another DKB press program. She really enjoyed KB Strong. I think I'm going to like the 4 week blocks in Giant.

I have a question about Giant 2.0, the ladders. What's the consensus on rest between rungs? I won't need the answer for, oh about 12 weeks. ?

@Mark Limbaga: Started with a confident 5RM. Will retest after finishing 3.0. I guess it will be 7-8RM. Switching to Phase 2 - Slow & Steady and then back to Giant 1.0 was my initial thought. But maybe a tweak of Giant 3.0 or adding additional weeks could be the better option.

@Geoff Neupert : Thanks. After testing my RM I will try my luck with 1.0 and maybe pushpress my way through the harder sessions. Initial thought was that Strong Phase 2 may be the better option because it‘s layed out for a 5RM and seems to be structured more gently over more sessions. At least compared to muscling through Giant 1.0 sessions with sets of 6. But I try not to judge something I haven’t done before. ?

@Mark Limbaga: Started with a confident 5RM. Will retest after finishing 3.0. I guess it will be 7-8RM. Switching to Phase 2 - Slow & Steady and then back to Giant 1.0 was my initial thought. But maybe a tweak of Giant 3.0 or adding additional weeks could be the better option.

@Geoff Neupert : Thanks. After testing my RM I will try my luck with 1.0 and maybe pushpress my way through the harder sessions. Initial thought was that Strong Phase 2 may be the better option because it‘s layed out for a 5RM and seems to be structured more gently over more sessions. At least compared to muscling through Giant 1.0 sessions with sets of 6. But I try not to judge something I haven’t done before. ?
Finished 3.0. After 4 + 1 weeks I raised my RM from 5 to 8 as supposed.

@Geoff Neupert : Does your recommendation to progress to 1.0 afterwards still remain with a 8RM or is it preferable to stay with 3.0, until I test a confident 10RM, which is your recommendation in the program?

In my experience with your programs, it‘s usually a grave mistake to ignore your RM, even if one tends to the masochistic sides of life! ?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

@Geoff Neupert : Does your recommendation to progress to 1.0 afterwards still remain with a 8RM or is it preferable to stay with 3.0, until I test a confident 10RM, which is your recommendation in the program?

In my experience with your programs, it‘s usually a grave mistake to ignore your RM, even if one tends to the masochistic sides of life! ?

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't try 1.0 "strictly" until you can "strictly" do the 10RM as the heavy day would be getting awfully close to your RM. I saw another thread where he suggested push-pressing instead of strict pressing. Personally, I'd pick a rep-scheme somewhere between 1.0 and 3.0, but closer to 1.0. I'm actually doing the same thing right now with FSQTs after injuring something in my rotator cuff trying to do 1.0 with my 8RM. I'm using probably a 7RM so using a scheme closer to 3.0.

Thanks in advance!
I believe you have a copy of Strong? I'd run the slow and steady then jumping to 2.0

Thanks in advance!
@Brookes, Nicely done!

I would stick with 3.0 until it's a confident 10RM.

Or use @Mark Limbaga 's excellent suggestion.

@Geoff Neupert Question! With the single KB option, Should I Clean & Press each set x arm and then rest, or rest between arms as well?
I don't have many Kbs and the gap between them is big (16, 24 and 34) as I bought them thinking on s&s, so I dont feel confident using double kbs

@Geoff Neupert Question! With the single KB option, Should I Clean & Press each set x arm and then rest, or rest between arms as well?
I don't have many Kbs and the gap between them is big (16, 24 and 34) as I bought them thinking on s&s, so I dont feel confident using double kbs
@Eyetic,

Do what you need to do to keep fatigue as low as possible.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your excellent input guys. As I‘m sneaking around Strong! since quite some time and I enjoy a more layout plan from time to time I will try @Mark Limbaga ‘s approach. ?

I wouldn't try 1.0 "strictly" until you can "strictly" do the 10RM as the heavy day would be getting awfully close to your RM. I saw another thread where he suggested push-pressing instead of strict pressing. Personally, I'd pick a rep-scheme somewhere between 1.0 and 3.0, but closer to 1.0. I'm actually doing the same thing right now with FSQTs after injuring something in my rotator cuff trying to do 1.0 with my 8RM. I'm using probably a 7RM so using a scheme closer to 3.0.
Thanks for your experience and I wish you a speedy recovery. I already learned my lesson the same way, so I try to keep my pushy attitude under control and stick to my mantra: DFYU. ?

I am in the middle of 1.1 now with the 32s. My goal is to do 10x10 with them. I kind of like these suggestions a lot and am considering jumping up to the 36s using these ideas....in theory should make 10x10 with the 32s that much easier

Thanks for your experience and I wish you a speedy recovery. I already learned my lesson the same way, so I try to keep my pushy attitude under control and stick to my mantra: DFYU. ?
DFYU, indeed (have to admit I had to Google that :)). Yeah, that is such a tough mantra to "stick to" though, especially as the body "matures" faster than the ability to manage an ego (which seems to be my challenge as I approach my 51st birthday, though you'd think I'd know better).

So as not to give anyone the impression that Mr. Neupert's programming is inherently "dangerous", I feel the need to clarify that I didn't actually injure myself doing the Giant; I injured myself trying to get into a 1-arm pressing routine by combining the tests and the first session into one (thus effectively doubling the prescribed volume on the first day); which I was doing because I played an entire round of golf with a tight (and what I realized was going to be "unloosening" after 3-warm-up swings but carried on anyway because it'd been on the calendar for 6-weeks and I'd driven 2-hours to get to the course; and I take pride in my pain tolerance!) lower back, which took heavy double-cleans off the table for a few weeks. And even the original back tightness was (I think) due to trying to do "Strong!" (during which I progressed from being unable to push press a pair of 32's once to a strict 3RM....maybe 4, I didn't test....with 36's) and Q&D 44 at the same time (both 3x per week)......

Once my back was good to go, I jumped into the Giant without realizing how serious the shoulder issue was and kept pushing until it was obvious that it wasn't going to be something that I could train through. Somewhere in there, I also got in my head that throwing a baseball around with my teenagers would be a good idea. It was NOT.

I've been managing the shoulder pretty well with rucking, C2 rowing and front squats (which are HUMBLING) for a few weeks, but got "inspired" by those 40kg snatch test videos the other day and frankly forgot that my shoulder hurt......, So I decided to gauge just how hard that feat really is by snatching a 36kg @ the end of my session....with my "bad" (though stronger, which is why I was throwing baseballs with it) shoulder...... I confirmed that passing the snatch test @ 40kg is NOT something I'll ever get to at this age (nor will BB snatching over 300#'s or whatever that first guy, who doesn't look 51, can do). The episode didn't send me all the way back to square 1, but I'm further from square 10 than I had been Friday morning.....

"Learning" is a life-long activity, and "inspiration" can be a dangerous concept for those with over-developed egos :). I did manage to get through my FSQT session yesterday without exacerbating any injury, or creating any new ones.

Baby steps.....

Through 1.0 and just started 1.1 this week. Just wanted to check with others doing the Giant program about how their total reps per workout changed (if at all) as the reps per set moved up. For example, if in 1.0 I was hitting between 60-70 reps generally on the 6 rep day, when I move to 1.1 on the 8 rep day should I expect to see the total reps I get in that workout be measurably less than what I saw in 1.0? Just did my first 8 rep workout today and hit 51 reps (6 sets of 8 plus 3 reps at the very end). Hoping that this is normal as I am now operating at a much higher percentage of the 10 RM that I began with. Thanks as always for any input and experience anyone is willing to share.

@mh2324 Good question , I'm at the same stage as you and interested to know. I started off 1.0 conservatively with a 24kg bell , I could have pushed the 28kg, but I haven't pressed for a few years as I've mostly been A&A snatching and bent pressing. On my 6 rep day I was hitting 96 to 108 total reps.

@mh2324 Good question , I'm at the same stage as you and interested to know. I started off 1.0 conservatively with a 24kg bell , I could have pushed the 28kg, but I haven't pressed for a few years as I've mostly been A&A snatching and bent pressing. On my 6 rep day I was hitting 96 to 108 total reps.
Wow. I too am using 24kg, but it was a legitimate 10RM for me going into it. With good solid form for sure but I could not have gotten 12 and kept good form. Maybe not even with bad form.... Not a chance I could have hit over 90 reps in 1.0. That’s awesome.

Wow. I too am using 24kg, but it was a legitimate 10RM for me going into it. With good solid form for sure but I could not have gotten 12 and kept good form. Maybe not even with bad form.... Not a chance I could have hit over 90 reps in 1.0. That’s awesome.
Your rep numbers look good and comparable with ROP rep totals. I'd been snatching 32kg for a while and bent pressing the 40kg for singles so I had some conditioning and strength in the bank. My military press is fairly weak in comparison, but the Giant is certainly improving it. I'm actually wondering whether to go back and do 1.0 with the 28kg instead of 1.1 with the 24kg?

Back
Top Bottom