all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

Through 1.0 and just started 1.1 this week. Just wanted to check with others doing the Giant program about how their total reps per workout changed (if at all) as the reps per set moved up. For example, if in 1.0 I was hitting between 60-70 reps generally on the 6 rep day, when I move to 1.1 on the 8 rep day should I expect to see the total reps I get in that workout be measurably less than what I saw in 1.0? Just did my first 8 rep workout today and hit 51 reps (6 sets of 8 plus 3 reps at the very end). Hoping that this is normal as I am now operating at a much higher percentage of the 10 RM that I began with. Thanks as always for any input and experience anyone is willing to share.
I find my total reps change petty dramatically. I don't remember the phase numbers but I was getting 12x5 (60 reps) and 7x6 (42 reps) in the same week for 30 min blocks, and once I started the 4-6-8 wave I was looking at 36-40 reps for 20 min blocks. I haven't did high reps in a long time so these sets have been quite the experience for me!

Through 1.0 and just started 1.1 this week. Just wanted to check with others doing the Giant program about how their total reps per workout changed (if at all) as the reps per set moved up. For example, if in 1.0 I was hitting between 60-70 reps generally on the 6 rep day, when I move to 1.1 on the 8 rep day should I expect to see the total reps I get in that workout be measurably less than what I saw in 1.0? Just did my first 8 rep workout today and hit 51 reps (6 sets of 8 plus 3 reps at the very end). Hoping that this is normal as I am now operating at a much higher percentage of the 10 RM that I began with. Thanks as always for any input and experience anyone is willing to share.
@mh2324 , I found that my numbers initially on the 8s dipped a bit but steadily increased each week. Going from 6s to 8s doesn't seem like a big jump, but it was for me! One more week of 1.1 to go and then staring at even more reps in 1.2!

When people test their RM for this program do they test only the press or alternating cleans and presses? E.g. when deciding which version is it 5 vs 10 C&P or just 10 presses?

Right, I get that.

I think my question was less about the program itself and more about the RM testing. In "Strong" Neupert says "Let’s assume you’ve got a pair of kettlebells that you can use on all your grinds for a tough 4-5 reps." So, I always executed the program with the C&P but tested just the grind e.g. the MP (no cleans) and used that test to decide what bell to start with. Maybe I just read too much into the slightly vague language. It sounds like I should be testing the C&P with both programs if that's what I'm progressing in the program.

@jhpowers , I did the same thing with respect to Strong....he says use a pair of bells you use for your "grinds" for 4 to 5 tough reps.....so initially I tested military presses.

Right, I get that.

I think my question was less about the program itself and more about the RM testing. In "Strong" Neupert says "Let’s assume you’ve got a pair of kettlebells that you can use on all your grinds for a tough 4-5 reps." So, I always executed the program with the C&P but tested just the grind e.g. the MP (no cleans) and used that test to decide what bell to start with. Maybe I just read too much into the slightly vague language. It sounds like I should be testing the C&P with both programs if that's what I'm progressing in the program.
@jhpowers - Use a pair you can Clean AND Press for 10RM.

Hope that helps.

I'm starting Week 3 of 2.0. I tested my C&P 10 rep max since it's a C&P program. Since I've not pressed much at all but have been A&A snatching the 32kg for ~6 months I could only manage a fairly easy 10 with the 24kg. So I'm using the 24kg. After 4~6 weeks I'll test again and maybe run it again with heavier double bells (probably 28's).

Bottom line, I tested my 10 rep C&P and am using that weight for 2.0.

My 4, 6, 8 with double 24's is challenging but very doable.

A&A has definitely increased my aerobic capacity as I have no issues at all with my heart rate staying in the 155~165 range (I'm 57).

On off days I am training a Squadronmate who swam on a Major Division I swim team and has continued to swim competitively. On those days I do 8 rounds of 7 40kg two/hand swings, 3 "full stretch" slow pullups, and double 36kg Farmer Walks. She does other things during the 8 rounds, I am just posting what I do on the days I'm not doing 2.0. Also, she wants a finisher, so we do 5 rounds of "I go/You go" 21 swings. I use the 62kg.

Since Friday was the "off" day from 2.0 and I am doing the 3, 4, 5 ladder today, yesterday I did 32kg A&A snatch: 30 repeats in 30 minutes. The snatching went exceptionally well, though it is something that I treated myself to....

THanks, all! @WxHerk you are an absolute beast!

I'm 51 and prepping to move into Giant. I've done Strong! multiple times and peaked with the 28kg bells two years ago. I had some injuries that set me back when I started snatching (without addressing my shoulder mobility issues) after my last cycle of Strong. Since then I've done a lot of other training and worked with a coach that I very much liked and respected, but after a lot of PT I decided to lay off of kettlebells completely and focus on yoga for several months. Yoga has really helped finish what PT started in terms of whole body mobility. I've started back at Strong! and am doing phase 1 right now with the 20kg bells. I tested into them, but now they are feeling fairly light I did my 10x2 workout yesterday in 11 minutes. My plan is to retest at the end of phase 1 and use the information to determine which Giant program to use. I'm currently continuing the yoga on my off days and also in an abbreviated fashion after my Strong sets. It's done wonders for both my movement patterns and mobility.

Though I don't yet have the experience to says so, it looks like the Giant programs could work nicely when cycled with the Strong programs. The two together give you a set of lego blocks to train your double C&P with varying rep ranges, density, volume, etc..

I'm starting Week 3 of 2.0. I tested my C&P 10 rep max since it's a C&P program. Since I've not pressed much at all but have been A&A snatching the 32kg for ~6 months I could only manage a fairly easy 10 with the 24kg. So I'm using the 24kg. After 4~6 weeks I'll test again and maybe run it again with heavier double bells (probably 28's).

Bottom line, I tested my 10 rep C&P and am using that weight for 2.0.

My 4, 6, 8 with double 24's is challenging but very doable.

A&A has definitely increased my aerobic capacity as I have no issues at all with my heart rate staying in the 155~165 range (I'm 57).

On off days I am training a Squadronmate who swam on a Major Division I swim team and has continued to swim competitively. On those days I do 8 rounds of 7 40kg two/hand swings, 3 "full stretch" slow pullups, and double 36kg Farmer Walks. She does other things during the 8 rounds, I am just posting what I do on the days I'm not doing 2.0. Also, she wants a finisher, so we do 5 rounds of "I go/You go" 21 swings. I use the 62kg.

Since Friday was the "off" day from 2.0 and I am doing the 3, 4, 5 ladder today, yesterday I did 32kg A&A snatch: 30 repeats in 30 minutes. The snatching went exceptionally well, though it is something that I treated myself to....
Awesome work. Looks like you can tolerate lot‘s of work and regenerate from it.

I thought that you ‚should‘ not do anything while doing the giant!

I started 1.0 at the same time everyone else did but got derailed after about week 3 with a screwy shoulder, so haven't kept up; and my additions to this thread may be a bit off-track, but maybe interesting....

1. I applied the formula for 3.0 to front squats and found it to be.......brutal. Was using a 36/40 and switching sides for every set and started getting around 55-reps total in 20m. By the end of the 3rd week, I was on pace to get around 80. Limiting factor was that I couldn't keep my "wind" under control enough to hold my breath all the way through the last reps of later rounds; so I'd lose tension in my mid-section and failed WAY more reps than I did with the C&P's. Obviously needed more time between sets; but it seems the formula produces a different training effect on front squats; or maybe I just have a weak midsection.....; The failure point in C&P's for me is always the delts running out of gas; not wind.

2. Shoulder feels good enough to dive back into the C&P's so did a RM test last Wednesday. I figured I'd dial the rep-volume way back so was planning on doing either 20m of 3.0, or Phase 1 of "Strong!" I'd never gotten (or even bothered to try) more than 2-reps with the 36's, but figured I'd try, with the idea that if I got 3-4, I'd do "Strong!", and on the off-chance I could do 5; I'd do Giant 3.0. Got 5 without too much trouble; 50/50 that I'd have gotten 6 but didn't bother to try. So I did 8 sets of 3 in 20m Friday and am looking forward to starting the program "proper" tomorrow.

The reason I mention that is that I think I was at about an 8RM with 32's 6-weeks ago. After 3-weeks of 1.0 (where I went from around 160 reps to around 250 in 30m); and 3-weeks of no overhead work; I did a solid 5RM test with 36's. I'm still kind of in shock by how light they felt.

I honestly can't say I recall ever doing effective training sessions that I actually ENJOY so much (I've historically been a classic acid bather; but could never keep it up for long)! Best $20 I've ever spent....I'm a believer....

Can someone give me an idea of the maximum reps of c&p used for these programs. I don’t do well from an inflammation standpoint on high rep / long time under tension rep schemes, but i do well with strong or dry fighting weight type rep schemes.

Can someone give me an idea of the maximum reps of c&p used for these programs. I don’t do well from an inflammation standpoint on high rep / long time under tension rep schemes, but i do well with strong or dry fighting weight type rep schemes.
For giant 1.0 I started out at 60 reps for heavy day, ended with 80 reps

Well, my reps have been more conservative as I want to be able to complete solid reps. I just try to add a few reps per day, every week. Doing high rep sets (more than 5 reps) is quite taxing and I find that if I rush to cram more and more reps my form breaks down and I feel it in my lower back which to me is my telltale sign that my form was off. For instance, this past week I got 64 reps on heavy day. This was done in 30 minutes. If I only add a few this coming week it's an improvement! You don't need a major PR each workout.

I had a similar concern and reached out to Geoff. He replied and said - paraphrasing - that the great thing about density training is it can be as much or as little as you want, and you can easily start very conservatively and increase as you tolerate. I usually start very easy week 1, and usually ramp up each week as tolerate. As an example, when I first did my heavy day of 6s, I took 5 min per set, so I "only" got 6 sets in 30 min. I actually kept that for the second week because it was quite challenging, then progressed that into 7 sets the next week. My last week I "only" got 8 sets.
Well, my reps have been more conservative as I want to be able to complete solid reps. I just try to add a few reps per day, every week. Doing high rep sets (more than 5 reps) is quite taxing and I find that if I rush to cram more and more reps my form breaks down and I feel it in my lower back which to me is my telltale sign that my form was off. For instance, this past week I got 64 reps on heavy day. This was done in 30 minutes. If I only add a few this coming week it's an improvement! You don't need a major PR each workout.
My low back gripes at me too when I push a little too much and my form breaks down. Really makes me think about squeezing my glutes every press to try and not irritate it.

I should have been more clear i guess, I didn’t mean reps per day, but reps per set. Do they get up over 10 in some of the programs?

I should have been more clear i guess, I didn’t mean reps per day, but reps per set. Do they get up over 10 in some of the programs?
I just checked to confirm, 9 is the most reps per set or rung.

I had a similar concern and reached out to Geoff. He replied and said - paraphrasing - that the great thing about density training is it can be as much or as little as you want, and you can easily start very conservatively and increase as you tolerate. I usually start very easy week 1, and usually ramp up each week as tolerate. As an example, when I first did my heavy day of 6s, I took 5 min per set, so I "only" got 6 sets in 30 min. I actually kept that for the second week because it was quite challenging, then progressed that into 7 sets the next week. My last week I "only" got 8 sets.
@Coyotl , I agree with the way you did it. Kind of the same way I did mine. I didn't want to turn my sessions into a crazy workout wherein form was sacrificed for the sake of higher numbers.

Back
Top Bottom