all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert "THE GIANT" ??

jake54

Level 6 Valued Member
I got the email, detailing this program. Seems to be a Clean and Press program (or multiple programs).

Anyone buy and care to give a quick comparison to KB Strong or other programs?

Thanks

EDIT: See also this thread about the Giant program: "Giant 1.0"

Having done both.....The "Giant" series is/are clean and press programs based on a 10 RM of either a single kettlebell or double kettlebell version. "Strong!" is exclusively a double kettlebell program wherein you start with your 4 to 5 RM.

The "Giant " series comes from "Kettlebell Express" which is a compilation of single kettlebell programs. I have done several and bounced the idea off Geoff of doing a "Double Giant" experiment i.e. doing the single bell Giant program with double bells...it worked well for me!

Got a lot of "Giant" work ahead of me but I'm thinking of a "Double King Sized Killer" down the road!

Having done both.....The "Giant" series is/are clean and press programs based on a 10 RM of either a single kettlebell or double kettlebell version. "Strong!" is exclusively a double kettlebell program wherein you start with your 4 to 5 RM.

The "Giant " series comes from "Kettlebell Express" which is a compilation of single kettlebell programs. I have done several and bounced the idea off Geoff of doing a "Double Giant" experiment i.e. doing the single bell Giant program with double bells...it worked well for me!

Got a lot of "Giant" work ahead of me but I'm thinking of a "Double King Sized Killer" down the road!
You mean double king size combo :)

It's not for the faint of heart

I got the email, detailing this program. Seems to be a Clean and Press program (or multiple programs).

Anyone buy and care to give a quick comparison to KB Strong or other programs?

Thanks
@jake54,

I've received the same question via email.

Here's the answer:

The "Strong!" program is based off your 4-5RM. It's 3-phases: Strength (8 weeks), Hypertrophy/Work Capacity (there are 2 different programs here - 4-6 weeks & 16 weeks) and Fat Loss/Conditioning (5 weeks). It's designed for you to use the same size KBs all the way through.

"THE GIANT" is 5 different 4-week programs. 4 start with a 10RM. One with a 5RM. The 4x 10RM programs can be run as one continuous 16-week cycle, or multiple shorter cycles. The 5RM program could be used as a "starter" program similar to "Strong!".

The loading between "THE GIANT" and "Strong!" is much different. The 10RM loading is meant to provoke more of a strength and hypertrophy response right out of the gate as opposed to "Strong!"'s loading, which is pure strength for the first 8 weeks.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
@jake54,

Here's the answer:

The "Strong!" program is based off your 4-5RM. It's 3-phases: Strength (8 weeks), Hypertrophy/Work Capacity (there are 2 different programs here - 4-6 weeks & 16 weeks) and Fat Loss/Conditioning (5 weeks). It's designed for you to use the same size KBs all the way through.

"THE GIANT" is 5 different 4-week programs. 4 start with a 10RM. One with a 5RM. The 4x 10RM programs can be run as one continuous 16-week cycle, or multiple shorter cycles. The 5RM program could be used as a "starter" program similar to "Strong!".

The loading between "THE GIANT" and "Strong!" is much different. The 10RM loading is meant to provoke more of a strength and hypertrophy response right out of the gate as opposed to "Strong!"'s loading, which is pure strength for the first 8 weeks.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought it, looks solid. I like the timed workout format...a lot.

Gonna give it a run through. With double bells.

@jake54,

Here's the answer:

Hope that helps.
This may be a dumb question, but in the email you referenced jerks being the original soviet lift. Is there a reason you chose clean and press instead of clean and PP or clean and jerk? Is it simply a matter of taste?

@jake54 , I've been having "fun" with it but my only humble advice....when Geoff Neupert says a 10 RM he means ten good reps! It's a density type protocol so when in doubt find a set of bells that leaves a rep ot two in the bank...... I had been doing low rep work (5 or less per set) for so long that finding a 10 RM wasn't as easy as I thought. I did the ladder version first to "ease" into higher rep work and the first week humbled the crap out of me! It has been quite effective though.

This may be a dumb question, but in the email you referenced jerks being the original soviet lift. Is there a reason you chose clean and press instead of clean and PP or clean and jerk? Is it simply a matter of taste?
@Provx ,

Yes, 2 reasons:
1. Most Americans can't Jerk. Poor shoulder mo-stability and poor t-spine mobility.
2. The Press requires the least coordination of the 3 overhead lifts.

If you can Jerk or Push Press, you can use either of those lifts, or all 3 for these programs.

For maximum benefit, start with a weight you can Jerk 10-12x, but not Push Press 10-12x. Roll through 1-3 of the programs, then retest your Jerk. Then test your Push Press. It should have moved up to the 10-12x range.

Then repeat the cycle with your Push Presses, using a slow/active negative to train the Press.

Then you *should* be ready to run it with your Press.

Hope that helps.

@Provx ,

Yes, 2 reasons:
1. Most Americans can't Jerk. Poor shoulder mo-stability and poor t-spine mobility.

If you can Jerk or Push Press, you can use either of those lifts, or all 3 for these programs.

For maximum benefit, start with a weight you can Jerk 10-12x, but not Push Press 10-12x. Roll through 1-3 of the programs, then retest your Jerk. Then test your Push Press. It should have moved up to the 10-12x range.

Then repeat the cycle with your Push Presses, using a slow/active negative to train the Press.

Hope that helps.
I like the sound of that.

Just purchased “The Giant.”

After my results from Drt Fighting Weight, I know that Geoff’s programs deliver results.

@jake54 , I've been having "fun" with it but my only humble advice....when Geoff Neupert says a 10 RM he means ten good reps! It's a density type protocol so when in doubt find a set of bells that leaves a rep ot two in the bank...... I had been doing low rep work (5 or less per set) for so long that finding a 10 RM wasn't as easy as I thought. I did the ladder version first to "ease" into higher rep work and the first week humbled the crap out of me! It has been quite effective though.
Thanks, I was looking at it, and my ego wanted me to go with the 36 KG bells, although it isn't quite a 10 RM. I am going with the 32 KG which is def a solid 10 rm, and then use the 36 for 3.0 plan.

@Provx ,

Yes, 2 reasons:

Hope that helps.
While im thinking about the subject of jerks, RMF is extremely effective, but also glycotic for me, and 12 weeks in a row of glycotic work is tough on my system. Seems like strongfirst if moving toward glycotic work in 4 week blocks or so.

Do you still recommend to run RMF for the whole 12 weeks? Maybe doing a non glycotic phase between each 4 week period of RMF? Also possible i am just doing the auto regulation poorly

thanks

While im thinking about the subject of jerks, RMF is extremely effective, but also glycotic for me, and 12 weeks in a row of glycotic work is tough on my system. Seems like strongfirst if moving toward glycotic work in 4 week blocks or so.

Do you still recommend to run RMF for the whole 12 weeks? Maybe doing a non glycotic phase between each 4 week period of RMF? Also possible i am just doing the auto regulation poorly

thanks
You can always shift to more easy strength/AGT after an RMF cycle :)

thanks
@Provx,
Yes I do.
Rest longer between sets if you need to.
Then, when you're done, move to an AGT program for 12+ weeks.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom