all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert's 12 Week Muscle-Building Plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chrisdavisjr

Level 7 Valued Member
I was just googling* 'bodybuilding with kettlebells' and I stumbled upon this program:

The 12-Week Muscle-Building Kettlebell Master-Plan
https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-12-week-muscle-building-kettlebell-master-plan.html
Much as I'm not generally a fan of BBing.com (although they do have a lot of decent contributors), this article piqued my interest and I've heard mention of Mr. Neupert and his work on this forum, the general consensus being that it's 'legit'. Has anyone here had a look at/tried out this program? I might give it a go just to vary the pace a little.

*Other search engines are available: Just google 'search engines'.

Nice, and the skill barrier to entry is lower than for Kettlebell Muscle (which required proficiency with double snatches)

Currently doing Dry Fighting weight by G N with a pair of 28kg. Very effective program. I'm sure this is legit of Geoff has attached his name to it.

Just surprised to read new stuff (published in April 2017) from Geoff, because he stepped away from KBs and Original Strength to pursue other endevours outside of the fitness world.
He still willingly answers questions about training, but doesn't write books, teaches at certs or accepts new personal training clients anymore.

The only issue for me would be not having any matching pairs of KBs. I've got all the weights from 16kg to 32kg in 4kg increments so I can probably get away with using pairs with a +/-4kg mismatch, provided I switch arms between sets.

@Chrisdavisjr I have a similar problem: 1x16, 1x24, 1x32, 1x28, 1x32, 1x40. The matching bells (exept the 28) reside at my parent's place for when I am visiting them. I had to "divorce" them (the bells) when I moved to another city.
Maybe it is time to invest into their counterpart...
Anyway, I think you could use unmatching bells and switch hands.
Or you might try the dry fighting weight routine: “Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength.
Also by Geoff Neupert, very similar in its structure and he explicitly mentiones using only one bell.
The dry fighting weight routine has you doing squats and presses 3x/week as opposed to the 1,5x/week frequency of the other routine. For some extra conditioning you could do 1H swings 2x/week S&S style. That way you would have 5 solid but relativeley brief sessions per week.

I was just googling* 'bodybuilding with kettlebells' and I stumbled upon this program:

The 12-Week Muscle-Building Kettlebell Master-Plan
Much as I'm not generally a fan of BBing.com (although they do have a lot of decent contributors), this article piqued my interest and I've heard mention of Mr. Neupert and his work on this forum, the general consensus being that it's 'legit'. Has anyone here had a look at/tried out this program? I might give it a go just to vary the pace a little.

*Other search engines are available: Just google 'search engines'.

As long as you are doing grinds, there does not seem to be any issue.
Double (uneven) Kettlebells

The only issue for me would be not having any matching pairs of KBs. I've got all the weights from 16kg to 32kg in 4kg increments so I can probably get away with using pairs with a +/-4kg mismatch, provided I switch arms between sets.

ROTK also has lots of uneven pressing for mass building.

And the kindle version is only 3.99 on amazon. Another excellent read and program to follow.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JKTXZ2W/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

I was reading the article and it seems like a very nice program, definitely gping to try.
I was thinking though, would it make sense to do double kettlebell cleans in stead of double swing? To target a bit more the upper body pulling?

I was reading the article and it seems like a very nice program, definitely gping to try.
I was thinking though, would it make sense to do double kettlebell cleans in stead of double swing? To target a bit more the upper body pulling?

That depends on your clean technique. KB cleans may involve the arms a significant amount or hardly at all depending on how much drive from the legs/hips is used to get the KB moving. If you wan't to work your arms specifically, KB 'muscle cleans' (ie cleans with zero/minimal movement at the hips) could work but then you'll miss out on the lower body work you would have got from the swings.

I would stick with the program as written and, if after a while you really feel that you're missing out on upper body work, supplement with either KB bent over rows or some kind of curl variation.

That depends on your clean technique. KB cleans may involve the arms a significant amount or hardly at all depending on how much drive from the legs/hips is used to get the KB moving. If you wan't to work your arms specifically, KB 'muscle cleans' (ie cleans with zero/minimal movement at the hips) could work but then you'll miss out on the lower body work you would have got from the swings.

I would stick with the program as written and, if after a while you really feel that you're missing out on upper body work, supplement with either KB bent over rows or some kind of curl variation.

Yes you're probably right, but I was thinking that since Geoff refers to "upper body pulling" since ypu are cleaning the kettlebells before the press and squat.
Another option to add some pulling is to actively pull the kettlebells down on the eccentric part of the press (as Pavel mentions in ROTK). That option would perhaps be better than replacing the swings......

I just finished my third week of that program.
So far, I like it. I can see some visible definition and growth starting already in my shoulders and arms and chest. Furthermore, I have noticed a definite strength improvement. I base that on a comparison: in the first workout, which is alternating C&P and FSQ sets for ladders of 1,2, I really struggled particularly with the squats. Today’s workout was the same but the ladders up to four reps and I completed it feeling much stronger. It was slightly tough at the end of the 30 minutes, but I definitely felt like I was handling the workout instead of the other way around.
So I’d say if you are looking for a more strength/muscle focused program, it’s worth a go. I’m looking forward to the last phase which should be more geared to fat loss as well.

For reference, I am using a pair of 24kg bells. I’m 43 yrs old, 6’1” 240 lbs and have been working with kettlebells for about 3-4 years now.

tl;dr: Try it. It’s only 12 weeks and you’ll get bigger and stronger.

would it make sense to do double kettlebell cleans in stead of double swing?
IMO, it almost always makes sense to do double cleans instead of double swings, especially when choosing between them as the only drill in a session, as in the program in the article linked above.

I find double swings to be awkward and unpleasant and generally just don't do them. Double swings were a tested exercise when I did my RKC cert and recert back in the day when Pavel was still there, so I practiced them plenty to dial in my technique, but have mostly avoided them since my last cert in 2009. The main exception has been as part of one of the complexes in Geoff Neupert's Kettlebell Muscle (phase 1 light day).

However, double cleans are one of my favorite exercises. To me, the groove feels very natural, and there is a satisfying sense of completion in catching each rep in the rack (just as there is for the snatch).

Thanks for the replies.
Me too find the double clean a bit more pleasant to perform, for some reason I am always afraid with double swing to take out my knees on the descend.
Currently doing "the wolf" from more kettlebell muscle (week 3 now), after I will do a few weeks of ETK and for sure I will give this programm a try. With double swings and double cleans, just to try the difference.
So far I really like the programms from Geoff Neupert, definitely the reward vs time investment ratio.
Also I am looking for the original kettlebell muscle, but unfortunately it seems not available anymore.....

I still think if you can do D3 of the wolf with 24s as written, you're Hella strong and conditioned

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom