all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neupert's 12 Week Muscle-Building Plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I dug this program out recently and really wanted to do it with my son. However, I can no longer do squats. I tried to add them back into my programming recently and ended up at the doctor's office getting a cortisone shot.

So, if Geoff or anyone else has a good recommendation for an exercise to replace the the squats I would love to hear it.

Thanks.
If you haven't worked with a StrongFirst Certified Instructor in person (or via Zoom/Skype/etc), you might consider that before giving up on your squat.

-S-

I dug this program out recently and really wanted to do it with my son. However, I can no longer do squats. I tried to add them back into my programming recently and ended up at the doctor's office getting a cortisone shot.

So, if Geoff or anyone else has a good recommendation for an exercise to replace the the squats I would love to hear it.

Thanks.

To me, the squats were very important to this program and removing/changing them would make this into a different program altogether. I completely agree with Steve. I spent some time with a Strong First instructor and any kind of aches and pains that used to be aggravated in my low back have vanished, which I didn't think was possible. Once you start knocking out reps with a weight that used to knock you off your feet for a couple weeks though, it feels really good.

Thanks.

@BigJB - There isn’t a squat substitute.

I’d look into why your knees no longer like squatting then fix that. Doing so will serve you well for future training.

Hope that helps.

I have arthritis in both knees, a torn meniscus which can’t be fixed by surgery in one and lingering effects from a massive DVT in the other. When the meniscus tear was diagnosed the ortho said no more squats or lunges. I replaced those with leg presses.

After the coronavirus hit I tried replacing the leg presses with goblet squats and double kb front squats. Started having bad pain in my torn meniscus knee and had to get a cortisone shot. So no more squatting for me.

I just have to accept that and be satisfied with the workout my legs get from other kB exercises.

I was extremely pleased with my results. At some point I’d like to run it again with heavier bells

I started this program today. Ive got a pair of 24s which i can only clp about two times on each side, so wont be using them . So having to run through it using a 20kg and a 16kg and switching them round . Trying to go slow on the negative after the press. Also slower with the squat. So see how it is in 3 months and hopefully be able see a difference

I’m on week 9 of the program. I started with 20kgs as I was recovering from a shoulder impingement. It definitely is a grinder. I found the 80% rep max days to be particularly taxing on the presses. Im not necessarily seeing huge gains aesthetically, but I know I’m getting stronger. The 20kg pair feels much lighter and I can bang out a lot more reps than I used to. My question is - would anyone recommend I go up to the next weight class (24kg) for weeks 9-12? I don’t feel the kind of muscular soreness anymore from the 20s and I wonder if I would see more impact by upping the weights in the last months.

I have a question. I can press double 32’s for 10 reps no problem but I can’t double swing them at all. Should I use those on the A days and drop down to my double 24’s on the B days or just use the 24’s for everything?

I am about to start week 9 (metabolic stress phase) and unsure of how I should approach swings. In the muscular damage phase I was swinging my 16kg bells for up to 15 reps (80% of RM) with 90 seconds rest... so was doing 10x15 in the 20 mins. The target for phase 3 appears to be 10x10 unless I am misreading.

Any recommendations for my workouts in this upcoming phase to achieve metabolic stress? Increase reps/decrease rest? I have 1 other 32KG bell so could try 1-arm swings with that for 10x10?

Thank you in advance for taking time to read this and respond!

I’m on week 9 of the program. I started with 20kgs as I was recovering from a shoulder impingement. It definitely is a grinder. I found the 80% rep max days to be particularly taxing on the presses. Im not necessarily seeing huge gains aesthetically, but I know I’m getting stronger. The 20kg pair feels much lighter and I can bang out a lot more reps than I used to. My question is - would anyone recommend I go up to the next weight class (24kg) for weeks 9-12? I don’t feel the kind of muscular soreness anymore from the 20s and I wonder if I would see more impact by upping the weights in the last months.
Ive just completed week 9 this week. You will deffo feel it in your pecs going straight into the squats. My pecs prob gave up during the max reps before my legs did. The subtle change makes a huge difference

I will be starting phase two of the programme on Monday. In the meantime I need to test my rep max. Is there A correct way to do this or do I just warm up and go for it?

I will be starting phase two of the programme on Monday. In the meantime I need to test my rep max. Is there A correct way to do this or do I just warm up and go for it?

In the PlanStrong Seminar Fabio Zonin stressed that you should think of your technical rep max as before form breaks down rather than your maximum effort for a final sloppy rep. There is no downside to rounding down but rounding up for a 50 percent max in a heavy program like double KB work can set your progress back.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom