all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Geoff Neuperts thoughts

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Just got one of Geoffs recent emails. In it he states the programs (taken from MKM) can be run as stand alone, GPP or as a warm up/finisher.

This kind of threw me off, having read KB Strong and various other complex focussed training books I would say the general message is not to do much work over and above whats in the program.

What do most people do on here, use these types of programs as stand alone or run as components of a main routine?

Pros/Cons etc

Thanks

Depends how you use them... you can use them as a supplement to BB work (replaces all the asst work like curl etc) or as a standalone program...

If you're using them to supplement then the volume is cut in half probably, like 1-3 sets... if it's a program then you need more volume like 4-6 sets

As someone who does lots of doubles work, I have moved back to using a single. I'm 5 weeks into Kettlebell Burn 2.0, running it with a 70 lb. bell except the presses which starting Phase 2 dropped to 62 lb. Thank God there are only 3 workouts per week. It's NASTY, yet Beautiful.

I haven't locked in the diet piece yet only losing 2 lb. but I've lost an inch off the navel.

agree, the more i get into kettlebells, and as i get older, definitely preferring single bells and dialing in the diet instead of killing myself with doubles year round.

really liking using doubles maybe 1 out of 3 programs

Just got one of Geoffs recent emails. In it he states the programs (taken from MKM) can be run as stand alone, GPP or as a warm up/finisher.

This kind of threw me off, having read KB Strong and various other complex focussed training books I would say the general message is not to do much work over and above whats in the program.

What do most people do on here, use these types of programs as stand alone or run as components of a main routine?

Pros/Cons etc

Thanks

@Stu - To clarify - I said the individual workouts, not the MKM programs. :)

Here's what I said in the email:

"You can use these if you want in the following way:
  • As a standalone workout - something's better than nothing
  • As GPP - post-main training session
  • Warm up for a main training session"
... And that's because I don't know what programs, if any people on that particular email list are doing, if any.

As far as doing programs, I still stick by that - do the program you're on as outlined. Unless you're skilled enough in program design to make the necessary modifications based upon your own strength and weaknesses like Mike Torres did for his most recent run through the "Strong!" program.

Hope that clears things up for you.

agree, the more i get into kettlebells, and as i get older, definitely preferring single bells and dialing in the diet instead of killing myself with doubles year round.

really liking using doubles maybe 1 out of 3 programs

Agree here. It also pays to pay close attention to which movements, programs make you progress at a steady pace and which ones can burn the candle at both ends...

For years I've always been chasing pressing a heavy kettlebell (or pair of bells) since let's be honest, who wouldn't want to be able to say they can press a pair of bells equal to or close to their bodyweight??

However, I have noticed it comes at a very steep cost for me... As fate would have it, late last year I worked up to being able to one arm swing a 48kg for 10 reps each hand. That then led me to the path I am now..

I have noticed my body can handle heavy-ish single bell work more than heavy pressing.

@Stu - To clarify - I said the individual workouts, not the MKM programs. :)

Here's what I said in the email:

"You can use these if you want in the following way:
  • As a standalone workout - something's better than nothing
  • As GPP - post-main training session
  • Warm up for a main training session"
... And that's because I don't know what programs, if any people on that particular email list are doing, if any.

As far as doing programs, I still stick by that - do the program you're on as outlined. Unless you're skilled enough in program design to make the necessary modifications based upon your own strength and weaknesses like Mike Torres did for his most recent run through the "Strong!" program.

Hope that clears things up for you.
Perfect thanks :)

Pros/Cons etc

Thanks

I always run the More Kettlebell Muscle programs as a main routine.

Depending upon the intensity of the programs, I look at it as 3 options.

1. You can run as a standalone program. Some of these programs, such as the Long Haul, especially in later weeks, you will need the recovery. Other programs that might be not enough.

2. Run 2 programs at the same time, working out 6 days a week. One as a complex, the other as a chain.
For example, The Shoulder Smoker as a chain, Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday. Lucky 13 as a complex Monday, Wednesday, Friday

3. Run 2 programs the same day, one. as a chain, one as a complex, and workout 3 x a week. They would have to be the easier of the programs. Especially in later weeks. At the beginning when it takes 6 minutes to finish the workout, it may not seem enough, but it will add up.

If I was to rank them, I like option 2 the best, then 1, then 3. Option 3 is doable, but you better be in shape and your form is sound because fatigue sets in.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom