all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Get better at chins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted 20758

Im really really weak in Chins and have for a long time trained ring rows instead. But now i can do around 3 rep(WEAK) and i want it to get better.
I dont know what would be best: GTG, Fighter Pullup program or something other?

I believe when i got to around 5-7 rep its easier to use in a normal training session :)

Hello,

I've got good results from GTG, for both low reps and high reps, but that may be just me.

If you have other pull exercises, feel free to do FPP on alternate days if you chose this option

IMHO, both option will work, but GTG will be more "recovery friendly".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'd second pet' above, I dived into the FPP being able to do 6 reps and my elbows etc suffered a bit. I'd do GTG for a month or so, then dive into more volume after that. FPP volume builds very quickly.

Last edited:
I'd second pet' above, I dived into the FPP being able to do 6 reps and my elbows etc suffered a bit. I'd do GTG for a month or so, then dive into move volume after that. FPP volume builds very quickly.
If i end up doing FPP i would follow Dan Johns advice and only do it 3x a week.

Hello,

A "strategy" could be:
- GTG up until 5 solid reps (it will build both strength and technique. It will also build tendons, ligaments and joints).
- FPP (as mentioned by @lais817 ) GTG will prepare you well to handle the volume.
- Maintaince using D. John's advice (you may not necessarily maintain your max rep (as FPP is also a peak) but an acceptable weight / number of repetitions)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is there a "rule" to how many times a day you should GTG and how often you should test max?

I believe that i will start with just one rep at a time. Because two will be too close to my max.

GTG, then FPP later as a peaking program.

I used GTG to go from 12 to 17 chins in about three weeks. At virtually no noticeable cost. No soreness, etc.

I maintained that for a bit with less frequent practice, I guess I locked it in. Retested and was still at 16 reps.

Then I ran FPP and went from 16 to 22 in three weeks.

Hello,

Is there a "rule" to how many times a day you should GTG and how often you should test max?
I'd test my max every 2 weeks.

There is no rule. GTG is auto regulated. You test your max, then divide that number by 2. Then you do multiple sets of that number. You stop doing GTG for the day when form is altered or when you feel tired.

I enjoy doing GTG everyday. However, it is often advised a 2 days on 1 days off schedule.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm noticing a decrease in my chins too. Back in the day, I was able to do 10 solid reps. Now in my late 30s, I can hit 3 - 4 good ones. Would I be able to GTG alongside another comprehensive strength program? I'm currently doing a few cycles of the big three barbell exercises with double clean and press. Would I do GTG on the same days that I train? I like the idea of two days on and one day off.

There is no rule. GTG is auto regulated. You test your max, then divide that number by 2. Then you do multiple sets of that number. You stop doing GTG for the day when form is altered or when you feel tired.

I enjoy doing GTG everyday. However, it is often advised a 2 days on 1 days off schedule.
I'd add that I believe there can be benefit to doing even less than 50% of your max reps, especially if you're heavy/weak/deconditioned/older.

I think, right now on a good day, I could do 15 pull-ups. In training, I'll do repeat sets of 2-5 and it has maintained (if not built) strength in the exercise.

To the OP - I think there is a lot of value in doing singles and feeling strong at them, and then after a few weeks doubles, etc. Building movement strength and competency can take time but it should come around.

I second GtG. As far as sets, I would think (and my experience is) that it depends on what percentage of max you do each set.

I’ve read that one could use from 30 to 70% of max w/GtG so if I were practicing sets at 30% max, I would do more sets. At 50% max, less sets most days, etc. I only did 4 to 5 sets at 50% every two/three hours in both bodyweight rings and weighted neutral bar. Worked well for me but I am in my 60’s so there was recovery considerations there.

I second GtG. As far as sets, I would think (and my experience is) that it depends on what percentage of max you do each set.

I’ve read that one could use from 30 to 70% of max w/GtG so if I were practicing sets at 30% max, I would do more sets. At 50% max, less sets most days, etc. I only did 4 to 5 sets at 50% every two/three hours in both bodyweight rings and weighted neutral bar. Worked well for me but I am in my 60’s so there was recovery considerations there.
Im "only" 44 but my body is 60 :-D

You could do this program - if your chins aren't very good, I'd suggest starting from the beginning.

Attachments

• Red_Army_Pullup_Protocol_Screenshoot.png
    Red_Army_Pullup_Protocol_Screenshoot.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 74
Hello,

I second all the above regarding the 30% - 50%. In general, I do GTG everyday (sunday I just do the morning routine, no GTG). On alternate days: sets @50%, sets @30% When I do sets @50%, I tend to have less overall volume (maybe 1/3 less).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Just an update. I have done GTG for two weeks. Done real easy with just one rep every time. Testet my max today and Got 5.

Real satisfied and now i will GTG with two reps for two weeks and test again.

Just an update. I have done GTG for two weeks. Done real easy with just one rep every time. Testet my max today and Got 5.

Real satisfied and now i will GTG with two reps for two weeks and test again.
Are we talking pull-ups or chin-ups? Just curious.
Good result either way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom