all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Get better at chins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Im currently running the Strong First Fire Fighter pull
Up program and it’s been pretty good for me. Basically you start with your rep max and order the sets as so
(I’ll use 5rep max example)

Day one 5-4-3-2-1
Day two 5-4-3-2-2
Day three 5-4-3-3-2
Day four 5-4-4-3-2
Day five 5-5-4-3-2
Rest
Start over with 6-5-4-3-2 so this for one month.

I will say, I didn’t start with my true rep max which was 12 because I felt I wouldn’t be ready to follow 12 reps with 11 right away lol so I started at 8. And it’s still
Been challenging for me.

Of course a stronger grip is going to help you do chins/pull-ups. Having a strength reserve in any muscle involved is going to be an advantage. But the question is where is the weak link. If the grip isn't even close to giving out before the arms and lats are, I don't know how well placed that training is.

I mean, if you like grip training (and I do), then by all means do it, but grippers never did much for my holding power.
true.
I would start grip work once he would be in 10 -15 range and/or if there is a plateau.
As far as holding power check out convict conditioning 2.....great stuff

Me neither…
Grippers, squeezing a tennis ball and the like are considered “crush” grip training where you are essentially using all fingers (except the thumb) against the lower palm area. Another is “pinch” grip tng where you are, basically, using the same four fingers as opposing force against the thumb like holding a wt plate with four fingers on ooutside and thumb on inside. It’s the only grip tng where the thumb is actively worked.

Another is “support” grip tng and this is what would directly assist in pullup, deadlift grip deficiency. Best tng is dead hangs, static weight holds (locked out deadlift, farmers carry, etc.)

Grippers, squeezing a tennis ball and the like are considered “crush” grip training where you are essentially using all fingers (except the thumb) against the lower palm area. Another is “pinch” grip tng where you are, basically, using the same four fingers as opposing force against the thumb like holding a wt plate with four fingers on ooutside and thumb on inside. It’s the only grip tng where the thumb is actively worked.

Another is “support” grip tng and this is what would directly assist in pullup, deadlift grip deficiency. Best tng is dead hangs, static weight holds (locked out deadlift, farmers carry, etc.)
Yes. I know.

When it comes to chin-ups, I prefer to do higher reps (because it's easy for my weaker back muscles to stop doing their job). So instead of doing full chin-ups, I'll do jackknife pull-ups (and then start adding weight). Maybe one day I'll be able to do enough full chin-ups to strictly monitor my muscle activity, but until then the only reason I do full pull-ups is to practice pulling lower and lower on my chest.

Also, you might want to try gymnastic rings. They feel much better than a bar and they take away any differentiation between pull-up and chin-up.

I was thinking that the grip is not my limmiting factor for chin ups.

Then I have measured my hang time and compared it with my chin up max execution time. They were exactly the same. Ie, I was doing 7 pull ups in approximately 35 seconds, and my hang time was (with out pulling up) was 35 seconds! This made me think that my grip is more a limiting factor than I have thought.

Currently I am not focused on chin-ups or pull ups but just occasionally do “negatives” in order to build up to tactical SF pull up .

But I think comparing your pull up/chin up AMRAP execution time and hang time is a clever idea.

Personally, I had good results with a very minimalistic homebrewn version of GTG back when I was a kid in the early 2000s: two sets of RM-1 per day, everyday, with at least half an hour in between (I did them first and last in my workout). This approach got me from 3-5 to 24 reps in about half a year. After that, I started adding weight and using more varied approaches.
RM-1 is defined as the maximum number of clean reps you can do on a bad (!) day, minus one rep. You should keep adjusting that number up or down as needed. I used to try and increase by one rep each week, and if I failed to get that number in two sets in a row, I would decrease it by two reps again. If I were to do it over, I think I might even go down to one quality set, and add one set of bodyweight rows at higher reps.

There are of course other strategies you can use, such as doing partial reps in your strong or weak range, assisted reps, holding at 90° for time, and so on. But I would try to keep it simple as long as you can, it will get more complicated soon enough.

I was thinking that the grip is not my limmiting factor for chin ups.

Then I have measured my hang time and compared it with my chin up max execution time. They were exactly the same. Ie, I was doing 7 pull ups in approximately 35 seconds, and my hang time was (with out pulling up) was 35 seconds! This made me think that my grip is more a limiting factor than I have thought.

Currently I am not focused on chin-ups or pull ups but just occasionally do “negatives” in order to build up to tactical SF pull up .

But I think comparing your pull up/chin up AMRAP execution time and hang time is a clever idea.
excellent way to test the theory!
alot of people doubt that their grip is weak so they don't factor it in.
I was on on the Jersey shore Boardwalk a few month back and next to the arcades and the rides they had a pullup bar.
If you would hang from it for more the a certain amount of time you get a prize (30 sec small prize ,1 min medium prize, 2 min big prize)
I competed a couple of times and i noticed that I never felt my grip giving away right before I fell.
It was almost as if my hand opened automaticly .
That makes me think that alot of time when grip really is a limiting factor people wont realize because they dont feel fatigue in their grip....

Last edited:
Right on spot. I was not aware either… Grip strength and rest of body might be more interconnected than I realize. I trust Pavel’s comments about grip strength.

looke like this
Right on spot. I was not aware either… Grip strength and rest of body might be more interconnected than I realize. I trust Pavel’s comments about grip strength.
pavel?
I did not know he said anything on the subject

looke like this

pavel?
I did not know he said anything on the subject
I don’t know where I’ve seen it, but I feel like I have seen Pavel talk quite a few times about grip and ab strength being the keys to full body strength.

In a StrongFirst seminar, we also talked about GLAG and how it can improve any lift, Glutes -Lats - Abs - Grip.

I don’t know where I’ve seen it, but I feel like I have seen Pavel talk quite a few times about grip and ab strength being the keys to full body strength.

In a StrongFirst seminar, we also talked about GLAG and how it can improve any lift, Glutes -Lats - Abs - Grip.
Interesting enough , grip is usually the last thing to go from age....

Reactions: Ege
Im now in my second week with 2rep 5 times a week and gonna test again in next week. But it didnt feel like the reps getting easier as i was hope.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom