all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Get Resilient - StrongFirst RESILIENT!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Read it, great article. Huge amount of good work, sir.

Thank you for your kind words. I ma working on few more StrongFirst RESILIENT articles and videos for our StrongFirst blog.

A big +1 to what @Pavel Macek says in his video. I am currently working on a lot of things to help my shoulders and thoracic spine move better - a bigger range of motion without stiffness or discomfort is my goal. One of the movements I am working on saw me start with bodyweight only, then a 4 kg bell next. There are good uses for light kettlebells.

-S-

There are good uses for light kettlebells.

Indeed. I am still on on post-op recovery so have been getting to know the 4, 6, and 8kg well here lately. Presses, kneeling presses, arm bars, crooked arm bars, get-ups, single-leg deadlifts, floor presses, rows, Cossack squats, goblet squats, hack squats.... so many things to practice with light weight, adding tension and internal resistance, fine-tuning the movements without putting excessive strain on the healing abdominal wall.

Kettlebell Bent Armbar

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT Manual:

"Breathe in the bottom position— Gray Cook recommends to stay in the position for up to 3 minutes. Because this exercise prepares you for a bent press, we prefer to call it bent armbar, and not a crooked armbar."

Upcoming events > StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

Get into the Brettzel armbar position, bend and lift your straight (i.e. bottom) leg: keep pushing your hip into the deck and try to lift your thigh from the floor. Aim to touch the kettlebell with your heel. Release and put it back on the floor. Repeat.

You will get great glute/hamstring activation, and you will notice that the kettlebell hand is sinking lower when returning the foot on the ground.

The drill was inspired by the FMS Brettzel stretch—hence “Brettzel armbar.”

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT Manual: Neck Rotation, Arm Rotation, Neck & Arm Rotation, Press

Add the techniques to one of the phases of the get-up, then switch sides and repeat on the other side.

Example: Pick up the kettlebell and roll to your back, floor press the bell, and perform all the drills. Pull the kettlebell down and park, switch sides, repeat. After you switch sides again, pick up the bell, floor press, roll to elbow, and perform all the drills. Get back to the floor, repeat on the other side, and so on.

Use lighter kettlebell and a spotter.

Skip the neck plus neck & arm rotation in the kneeling windmill.

These drills were first introduced in the highly recommended Kettlebells from the Ground Up DVD series.

From the StrongFirst RESILIENT Manual: SOS Get-Up

[NOTE: The video shows the "get-down" part]

Originally developed by Mike Perry, StrongFirst Certified Senior Instructor. SOS = Skill of Strength.

“This version requires significantly more thoracic mobility than a traditional get up. If your goal is to perform a windmill or bent press, this is a fantastic variation of the get up to perform prior to doing those other drills.”

New StrongFirst RESILIENT Event added - please check out StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

“In a free hang Tartakovsky advises various leg and torso movements to amplify the effect: moving the legs back and forth and side to side, together and separate; non-ballistic turns of the torso with the feet held together.” (Super-Joints)

Next progressions add some details and focus more on shoulders.

Upcoming events > StrongFirst RESILIENT | StrongFirst

Get resilient - StrongFirst RESILIENT!

Neck Series - The Rolling Neck Bridge
⁣⁣
⁣“You will have to keep your body semi- bridged unless your neck strength is truly freaky. Do not confuse this drill with the true wrestler’s bridge that hyperextends and hyperflexes the neck; keep your head almost in line with your body! Do not think this will make the exercise easier; just the other way around! One more time: keep your body tensed and semi-bridged! Carefully spot yourself with your hands at all times; breaking your neck is not on the agenda. You will find that your shoulders are also helping by unloading your neck as they roll on the ground.” (Pavel, in: Beyond Bodybuilding)⁣

Upcoming events > http://bit.ly/strongfirst-resilient

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom