all posts post new thread

Kettlebell get up variation

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Stephen Reynolds

Level 5 Valued Member
I've noticed in two videos posted on the SFG website(one in Kettlebell Forum and one in Articles) some technique departures from the get up done in The Standards video. The Standards instructional video seems to allow very little wiggle room when it comes to technique when doing the TGU. The videos in question were posted by qualified SFG people. Exactly how stringent are the standards for the TGU in the SFG context? Thanks!

Back when I started, standard was loose, and I remember getting up with a kettlebell safely passed my certification test.
Few years later, getup movement was detailed with a high bridge. Today's standard is detailed but in my opinion it's the more minimized version compared to ones in past.

Some are called tactical, I know a squat style, encountered a Czech style....

There is a standard, but as long as it doesn't violate safety issues and destroy purpose, variants are OK.

There is a standard for the getup at the SFG cert, with specific steps, and a checklist (that is detailed in the video). As written, it is a standard: each SFG candidate knows exactly what is expected, and it is cristal clear for testers to pass you or fail you.
When going for the cert, during the cert, we do the "standard" getup.

If not at the cert, any safe variation is ok. Specialized variety.

Which videos are you referring to?

As Jef pointed out - testing standards are for testing and options are many for how to do a Get-up

@Brett Jones I'm curious as well, particularly to any advantage of one version vs another. I learned the "high bridge" method and when I later took the KB class (not certification), my SFG II said my form was good and not to change to the newer version that did not include the bridge.
Are there benefits to one vs the other?

High bridge simple shows the ability to extend the hip(s) so it is a useful version to keep in the mix but there are many options.
People got lost in the minutiae of the high bridge and backed off of going heavy on the GU so removing it from the testing standard brought us back to building strength and going heavy.

Which videos are you referring to?

As Jef pointed out - testing standards are for testing and options are many for how to do a Get-up
One done by Pavel Macek. Very smooth get up but some movement on the planted foot and a little leg lift on the roll up. The other was done without the leg wiper but that was addressed in the recent knee saving article. Thanks!

At an SFG certification, I test all of my students per the written standard. That's how we remove our own little biases from evaluating technique (I like it to look strong and controlled yet graceful and pretty, but that's not in the standard). Not meeting the standard (so not passing) shouldn't depend on the person testing you...you meet it...or you don't.

The standard does state the kettlebell side heel must stay planted during the low sweep and ascend from lunge and the reverse of these two positions. I have seen some small pivots of the toes (often not to torque the knee). The heel stayed planted. But if the heel dances around? A slight bobble on a slippery floor? I'd probably accept. But a slide to accommodate the low sweep cause they didn't have enough space to begin with? Then no, that's not a pass, that's a correction for something that should have been fixed before the transition.

As for the leg popping up from the initial roll to the elbow, that's not pretty, but it's also not in the standard. I personally find that when the weight is relatively heavy for the student, their leg can pop up because their brain is otherwise occupied by a ball of iron above their head. When training their TGU certifying weight, most come in 'owning' that weight and can keep the hip extended for a stronger roll.

On the flip side, training my non-SFG students is still based on our instructor standards - safety first, own each position before you transition, practice where you need to be to express your strength. Within that, there are many options. Turf toe? Plantar flexed foot. Vertigo? TGDowns only. Amputated hand? Sandbag. Post-natal with weak core? Long leg foot against a wall to close the chain. Etc.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom