all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Get up variations

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Does anyone play with combos, complexes, and other versions of the get up:

-gladiator get up
-shin box get up
-overhead squat get up
-iron cross get up
-two hand get up barbell/kettlebell
-bottoms up get up
-waiters get up
-pressing/side pressing get ups
-segment get up
-shouldered sandbag get up
-barbell/dumbbell get up

Some other different variations here. I found this a while ago and I have tried most of them.

Or just about any combo, or complex you can imagine with get ups.

I used to do them off my elbow and still do from time to time. Same as a standard TGU but only come up to the elbow before bridging. Then do a tricep press to get into upright.

I've also done the variation 1 stepping back on your linked video, also on this vid from steve cotter:

I keep meaning to try them with a heavy bag or sand bag.

@North Coast Miller- I have used a sand bag as part of a few Military Athlete programs and they weren't fun, in a good way. The only problem with the way they were programmed was that it was part of a metcon and I just never got the correct form down. I always felt rushed for time. With the way SF programs them with one per side I think they would be a lot better than what I experienced.

I've only tried a few of them:
  • Dumbbell get-ups were pretty similar to regular getups except a touch more unstable because of the weight distribution not being below the hand.
  • Barbell get-ups really tested my grip strength to keep it balanced, I had to do them really slowly.
  • Sandbag get-ups felt more like a long-light stone/log carry. I could do many more at a faster pace because my shoulder wasn't as fatigued.
  • Squat get-ups went poorly because I have poor flexibility, a weightlifter I know only does them that way though.

@Geoff Chafe Yes, here are variations I like to use:

*Sandbag
*Bottoms Up KB
*Dumbbell
*"No Hands" - Rise off ground without use of elbow, into a shin box, stand up
*Double KB
*TGU + Side Plank hold on way down

+1 to sandbag get-ups. I just mentioned this on another thread.... I have also used heavy bags and loaded climbing packs as well.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom