all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Get Up vs Press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Richard

Level 4 Valued Member
For the first time in my life my arms are no longer skinny, unfortunately my gut is no longer skinny either and I look like a pregnant man, I'm looking to shed the fat and try to maintain as much of my arms as possible.
I'm torn between swings and get ups x3 per week or
Swings and one arm C&P x3 per week.
Could any experienced lifters out there please tell me about their own personal experiences of the Tgu and the C&P
thanks

why not do both?

Rite of Passage from Enter the Kettlebell, with TGUs on nonPress (variety) days?

Reactions: krg
In my experience - C+P and pull-ups will make your arms stronger and bigger. TGUs will bullet proof the rest of your body. I'm with Claude try and do both.

I have been doing S&S 3 days a week and doing C&P on 2-3 days a week along with mobility work. I find that it gives my body just enough recovery time alternating days.

S&S and a good nutritional program has been enough to get impressed looks for me. Personally, I would work to the 32kg 'bell and then look into either RoP or double 'bells program.

Sounds like a ROP 'style' plan is where your preference is. You could even use a lighter weight on the TGU and use that as a warm up 'Cook/Jones' Style (Kettlebells from the Ground Up) for thrice a week C&P/Swing workouts.

Choose whatever you like the most for your "arms", keep the swings/snatches in there and get on a proper nutrition program. What does your daily nurition look like? you can do anything you like for your training but if you're not fueling your body well you will be disapointed with your results. A registered Dieticain can make eating right easy.

The C&P will build your arms better than TGUs. Dan John says that cleans are a nice biceps exercise and presses obviously build your triceps,
but TGUs will at minimum keep your arms the way they're now, probably even build some more muscle and as others have mentioned the TGU builds the press. If you spend a good amount of time with the TGU you will have no mobility (mainly thoracic mobility) or stability issues when you start pressing.

I can tell you only about my personal experience, but i'm on S&S (so swings+TGU) and my arms got slightly bigger. I need to add that i'm loosing weight and not try to bulk, so the gains could be even greater.
Sure if you're a big guy with lots of training under your belt i doubt TGUs would build much muscle mass, but from your description of yourself i don't think that's the case here.

Last edited:
I train in BJJ and Judo so my experience comes from a jacket grappling point of view, if that helps any. A few years ago I skipped the PM and moved right into the ROP and worked up to doing OH Press singles with the 40kg kettlebell. I got stronger, put on some muscle, and felt it helped injury proof my body but I never really felt like the strength carried over the well to the mats. But then again not much does.

Then last year I worked up to using the 40kg kettlebell for TGU's using the S+S program and really felt the carryover. Moving my body, even with someone on top of me, just felt lite. I also felt I could out muscle things when needed, not that that is good BJJ or Judo. I actually feel that the TGU has had more transfer to my grappling than any other exercise I've done.

I train in BJJ and Judo so my experience comes from a jacket grappling point of view, if that helps any. A few years ago I skipped the PM and moved right into the ROP and worked up to doing OH Press singles with the 40kg kettlebell. I got stronger, put on some muscle, and felt it helped injury proof my body but I never really felt like the strength carried over the well to the mats. But then again not much does.

Then last year I worked up to using the 40kg kettlebell for TGU's using the S+S program and really felt the carryover. Moving my body, even with someone on top of me, just felt lite. I also felt I could out muscle things when needed, not that that is good BJJ or Judo. I actually feel that the TGU has had more transfer to my grappling than any other exercise I've done.
Makes sense, because with the TGU you are moving under the weight just like you would with BJJ.

Thinking of splitting the swings and get ups to different days, like the original Program Minimum, 2 swing days, 2 get up days, basically because I'm not fit enough to do both together, not unless I spend 45/60 mins per day.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom