all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getting back into it after a long break . 40kg Standards?

Washed up Meathead.

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi everyone, I've just joined although I've been a lurker for a long time. I'm 36 years old, 5ft 8.5in and 172lbs with a respectable strength level.

I've trained with kettlebells on and off for 20 years now. I last trained with them exclusively in 2020 in the COVID lockdowns. But haven't touched them until a few weeks ago when I got back into them. I just started with bottoms up clean and presses which have always been my favourite kbell lift.

I've just bought a 40KG bell yesterday and had my first try of it this morning with Single arm swings and cleans. I've never tried anything over a 32kg before. My question is, what do you believe is a good standard of strength for the 40kg bell for things like single arm swings, cleans and other basic lifts?

Timeless “Strong”: 100 one am swings + 10 TGUs with the 40 (or on the road from simple to sinister).

A 1 arm press with the 40 would be just over 1/2 bodyweight.

Two pretty solid SF boxes I’m trying to check with the 40kg @ 42 y/o and 185#. I’m still working on the second one.

Have a look at our SFG instructor certification and its standards. Those will give you a good idea of what "not weak" is. Then have a look at our SFG Level II instructor certifications and that will give you a good idea of what "pretty strong" is.

-S-
Thank you, I shall check those out.

Timeless “Strong”: 100 one am swings + 10 TGUs with the 40 (or on the road from simple to sinister).

A 1 arm press with the 40 would be just over 1/2 bodyweight.

Two pretty solid SF boxes I’m trying to check with the 40kg @ 42 y/o and 185#. I’m still working on the second one.
That's great thanks.

Today I just started (after a warm up) with 2 sets of 15 reps per side of single arm swings with the 40kg just to keep the soreness to minimum. I think I could do the 10 sets of 10

I don't actually train TGUs thought and have never really like them tbh. I know that's may be sacrilege around here though.

My main goal is Pressing it strict. I'm relatively weak overhead compared to everything else but I'm working on it. I can only strict press the 32kg for a few reps now.
Also, “welcome”
Many thanks, I've been a lurker for too long so thought I better join up. I love the discussions on training here .

Last edited:
I no longer do TGU above 32 kg.
I found it didn’t improve my press (now my focus) and it was too easy to tweak something…I.e. the risk benefit it’s favorable for my current goals.

I can also press one rep with the 32. It seems a long road to the 40 and I’m taking a meandering path!

I no longer do TGU above 32 kg.
I found it didn’t improve my press (now my focus) and it was too easy to tweak something…I.e. the risk benefit it’s favorable for my current goals.

I can also press one rep with the 32. It seems a long road to the 40 and I’m taking a meandering path!
That's basically my thoughts on the TGU. There are better ways to spend time training imo.

I'm sure you will get it if you want it bad enough, good luck with it.

I've formed a plan of attack now I own this 40kg bell. I'm going to focus on a few things.

Getting my strict barbell overhead press up
Lots of volume with the 28 and 32
Working on perfecting my bracing technique
Doing lots of tricep and rear delt work
Doing clean and push presses with the 40 and resisting the negative
Keep training my bottoms up press as I feel they help normal presses .

To be good at pressing you need to press a lot.

Back
Top Bottom