all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Getting back into OAPU after dislocated shoulder

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Marc

Level 6 Valued Member
Hey folks,

so about 2 weeks ago I dislocated my left shoulder (Dislocated shoulder).
I took one whole week off and my shoulder feels better every day now.
During my week off I read Original Strength which really enriched my knowledge about training and movement in general.
I startes to train again on monday. I played around with some moves. Two hand pushups are possible with almost zero pain in the left shoulder and crawls are possible with zero pain. In fact they feel really good.

My sessions look like this:

Warm up: OS reset
Training: spiderman crawl (6 "steps" forward, 6 "steps" backward) 10 mins total
Cool down: Rolling and rocking

My goal is to get back into OAPU as fast as possible.
Thought about doing spiderman crawls "only" almost daily for 30 total days (aka Aleks Salkin's 30 day crawling challenge).
What would you guys recommend?
Crawls only (which is actually pretty taxing, especially while breathing diaphragmatically) or maybe adding in some pushups? Is there any use in doing oapu with the right arm only?

Thanks in advance

all those activities sound good- I'd suggest a little extra attention while doing them all to pattern packed shoulders, proper scapular movement, and creating tension across upper back to brace the shoulder joint. Doing oapu with right arm only can't hurt while recuperating- much of the benefit is in the plank.

Why not some of Al Kavadlo's "Archer Pushups"? They're where you start with your feet right together and your arms far apart, and then you move your whole upper body over the one arm and pushup on it and then move it over to the other arm and pushup on that one. The non pushup arm is straightened out or nearly so. These are pretty interesting, and they get you to move your body left and right in the movements, which is different from typical one arm pushups.

How many one arm pushups to you typically do?

Also, why not feet elevated normal pushups? You could do these ones as well.

Thanks so far guys!
I keep an extra eye on packing the shoulders!
As far as archer pushups are concerned, I do not really like them. The non working arm always feels kinda awkward. I thought about doing very slow push ups maybe with a band. What do you think about that? My last session one day before I dislocated my shoulder I did 5x3 OAPU with dead start

Thanks so far guys!
I keep an extra eye on packing the shoulders!
As far as archer pushups are concerned, I do not really like them. The non working arm always feels kinda awkward. I thought about doing very slow push ups maybe with a band. What do you think about that? My last session one day before I dislocated my shoulder I did 5x3 OAPU with dead start
Awkward is good. Things awkward at first mean they're giving you skill and strength.

Awkward is good. Things awkward at first mean they're giving you skill and strength.

It always made the shoulder of my free arm feel unconfortably, maybe due to the long lever. But maybe I giv it a tey again
The injury happed two weeks ago and I still feel a bit unsecure doing pushups. However, spiderman crawl are perfectly fine.
Of course I will be cautioous. The last thing I want is a dislocated shoulder again. But in your opinion/experience: when would it be safe to start doing pushups and pulups again?

But in your opinion/experience: when would it be safe to start doing pushups and pulups again?
I've never dislocated anything so I'm not here to offer advice. I was simply going to mention that your doctor has a much better answer for this than anyone here.

Aren't there different kinds of shoulder dislocations? And I'm sure they all lay in a continuum as to how bad they can be. I'm just saying, we have almost no information about those things hehe. I'd listen to what he she says and follow to the letter

It always made the shoulder of my free arm feel unconfortably, maybe due to the long lever. But maybe I giv it a tey again
The injury happed two weeks ago and I still feel a bit unsecure doing pushups. However, spiderman crawl are perfectly fine.
Of course I will be cautioous. The last thing I want is a dislocated shoulder again. But in your opinion/experience: when would it be safe to start doing pushups and pulups again?
For us athletic types we need doctors who understand sports injuries. My doctor is a former Olympic triathlete! I myself am no authority on this stuff. I'm dealing with a bit of a dislocation-stretch in my right shoulder socket from trying one arm chinups a week ago, hahaha! I'm still working out but whether it's smart to or not I can't be sure. Anyhow, I am certainly having to tone things down these days!

Thanks guys! Problem is, I do not have a doctor who knows about athlethe's needs, let alone practice any sports himself.
It was an anterior location. I will have to wait for MRI to see if there is damage to the labrum, but everything feels pretty good again, almost healed. No swelling or the like.
I just tried a slow negative with my left but was afraid to go up...since spiderman crawl are feasible with no pain, I think I will stick with those and slowly work my way back to oapu with left

For us athletic types we need doctors who understand sports injuries. My doctor is a former Olympic triathlete! I myself am no authority on this stuff. I'm dealing with a bit of a dislocation-stretch in my right shoulder socket from trying one arm chinups a week ago, hahaha! I'm still working out but whether it's smart to or not I can't be sure. Anyhow, I am certainly having to tone things down these days!

Be cautious! Scale it down a bit and don't get hurt!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom