all posts post new thread

Getting Back Into Wrestling Shape

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
A blocking sled? What's that? Are those like the dummies that you tackle during practice?
They make them single, two-man or five man sleds. Of course back in the late 60's, they were much more spartan than these. Our 120-130kg. line coach used to stand on them, and scream words of "encouragement." I liked the two man, but on the 5 or 7 man sled, you had to hit the first pad, roll over, jump up and hit each one in succession. By the time we got to the 7th station, we likely wouldn't knock over our grandma's. He wanted as much force on the last pad as the first, yea right.

They make them single, two-man or five man sleds. Of course back in the late 60's, they were much more spartan than these. Our 120-130kg. line coach used to stand on them, and scream words of "encouragement." I liked the two man, but on the 5 or 7 man sled, you had to hit the first pad, roll over, jump up and hit each one in succession. By the time we got to the 7th station, we likely wouldn't knock over our grandma's. He wanted as much force on the last pad as the first, yea right.
Video of LSU defensive backs hitting a one man sled. This is on astroturf with no weight on it. Pansies, LOL. Our sleds were on grass, mud, with occasional ruts, and a huge man standing on top. No way, a high school kid could easily toss the thing over onto its side either. But I actually liked hitting the one or two man sled back then.

Monday, March 15 - Push

Warm-up
: 16kg swings alternated with low rep push-ups

Single Arm Floor Press: 16kg x 2 sets x 10 reps
20kg x 3 sets x 8 reps

24kg Goblet Floor Press: 3 x 10

Push-ups: 4 x 10

16kg OHP: 5 x 5

Overhead Walk: 24kg x 18 seconds; 20kg x 22s

*break for family duties *

Triceps Overhead Extension: 16kg x 8, 6, 8, 7 + 6 + 4 (last three sets were a cluster set)

Tuesday, March 16: rest day

Good news: Today I have jiu-jitsu training. I'm excited to get back into it after taking last week off. Also, my chest and triceps are sore, which of course gives me that sense of accomplishment after yesterday's strength training session.

Bad news: I slept quite terribly today, because my little one was fussy last night. Also, I have a ton of work to take care of today. So today will be a rest day.

Wednesday, March 17 - Legs & Grip

I decided to move grip training to Leg Day, so I can hit it directly and indirectly (when doing back), because I believe the forearm muscles associated with grip may respond better to higher frequency and volume.

I had little time today though, so I rushed through today's training. Now I feel bad for cutting a couple sets out from the leg training portion.

Warm-up: bodyweight squats alternated with 16kg swings

ATG Split Squats: 3 x 8

Rolling Pistols: 2 x 5

SL Box Squats: 8, 5, 5

SL Calf Raises: body x 10, 10; 16kg x 10, 10

SL Seated Calf Raises: 16kg x 20; 20kg x 20, 20

Jean Holds: 7s, 8s, 6s

alt. w/

20kg crushers: 8, 10, 10

^ idk what to call these, I let the kettlebell hang off my fingers and then I brought it in, gripping it tightly

Wednesday, March 17 - Brazilian jiu-jitsu

Felt quesy during BJJ training, due to eating too soon (1.5 hours) before the training.

So I'm thinking of either radically shortening my eating window, maybe ending eating until around 2pm - but then I'll be worried about getting enough protein in - or just eating once in the morning and once in the evening.

BTW, my weight was up to 78kg this morning, but I swear I look better in the mirror, and my wife claims I look thinner too. So maybe I'm recomping and gaining more muscle mass than the fat I'm losing? But of course self-assessments are notoriously bad, as are wife assessments. ;)

This could be a good thing, though really my goal was to diet down and find a better, more natural weight class for me in BJJ. So I will reassess by the end of this week and figure out what to do with my diet going forward.

Last edited:
Thursday, March 18 - Upper Body

I have a long break in-between meeting with clients, and have the opportunity to train at an outdoors jungle gym. I'm not sure if tomorrow I'll be able to train, so I'll just hit a general upper body movements today, using only my bodyweight, in two circuits: doing all the exercises in a circuit, one after another, but with a long break at the end; then repeating the circuit a few times before moving on to another circuit.

I should note that the bars here are thicker and higher than what I'm used to, which decreases my pull-up ability but increases my hanging leg raise ability (I don't have to worry about my feet hitting the floor).

Circuit 1:

Rows: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Pull-ups: 2, 2, 2, 3, 2

Hanging Leg Raises: 8, 8, 8, 6, 6

Circuit 2:

Parallel Bar Dips: 3, 3, 2, 2

Bodyweight Machine Flyes: 8, 6, 6, 4

Parallel Bar Push-ups: 8, 8, 8, 8

Attachments

• 16160709593425876768675692283450.jpg
    16160709593425876768675692283450.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 1
Saturday, March 20 - Legs (quick)

Too many family duties today, but I got a quick session in around 9:30pm. Not an optimal training session, but at least I increased the volume on my main movements.

Rolling pistols: 3 x 5

SL Box Squats: 3 x 10

Sunday, March 21 - injury?

I started warming up with push-ups and 16kg single arm floor presses, I was somewhat unfocused, and I ended up dropping the bell in a weird way during the floor presses. I immediately felt pain in my left shoulder - in both the front and the back. I feel the pain in my shoulder both with "push" and "pull" movements.

I rubbed some topical CBD oil into the front and rear delts, and I'm taking the rest of today off.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened?

I'll let it heal naturally, and if it takes more than a day, I'll just start training legs every other day until I feel comfortable training my upper body again.

Monday, March 22 - Legs

The pain in my shoulder is 90% gone, but I want to make sure it's 100% gone before I train my upper body. So I did a short leg session today.

Single-leg Box Squats: Body x 10, 10; 16kg x 4, 5, 5

Single-leg Calf Raises: Body x 10, 10; 16kg x 10, 10, 8

Monday March 22 - Legs pt 2

Inspired by this video and also this I decided to try out ATG calf raises. BTW, I did this at 8:30pm - no idea why I suddenly felt motivated for more leg volume xD

ATG Calf Raises - Body x 50, 30

^ I'm actually feeling a pump from this

Single Leg Donkey Calf Raises - Body x 20, 20

ATG Split Squats - Body x 8, 8, 8

^ done with two-step elevation, really focusing on the stretch in my ankle and knee

Hindu Squats - Body x 20, 10

Tuesday, March 23 - Push

A quick practice for today, due to lack of time.

Clean & Press - 16kg x 3 x 8; 20kg x 2 x 4

24kg Goblet Press - 3 x 10

alt. w/

Push ups - 3 x 8

Push-ups felt unusually difficult today. I also felt my back delt a bit after I pulled it on Sunday.

Wasn't able to update my log on this forum for a few days, so here were my practices in the meantime:

Wednesday, March 24 - Pull

Chin-ups - 2, 2, 3, *long break* then 3, 2, 2

I decided to stop the training here because my rear delt still hurt.

Friday, March 26 - Legs

SL Box Squats (on the first step of a staircase, helping in the bottom position with my hands) - Body x 7, 8, 8, 5

SL Chair Squat - 16kg x 5

SL Calf Raises - Body x 10, 10, 10

Saturday, March 27 - Push

Dips - 4 x 4
alt. w/ Flyes - 4 x 8

^ this was done at that one outdoor gym with the bodyweight fly machine that was mentioned earlier in my log

*long break*

Clean & Press - 16kg x 3 x 8; 20kg x 3 x 4

How did you like the ATG calf raises? I'd never seen them before, but did them a couple times accidently, and thought they were pretty difficult.

How did you like the ATG calf raises? I'd never seen them before, but did them a couple times accidently, and thought they were pretty difficult.
I enjoyed them. I was walking funny after doing them. They probably aren't the most practical exercise, but if you want to look yoked in the Summer, your best bet is probably just to focus on forearms, shoulders and traps, and calves - the muscles visible when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. ?

I want to incorporate them more frequently, but unfortunately my last leg day I didn't have much time to train, so I didn't do them since they are a lower priority than my main leg movements.

Another multiple-day post:

Monday, March 29 - Pull

Chin-ups: 2, 2, 2, break, 1, 1, break, 2, 2, 2, 2

24kg rows: 2 x 4

24kg shrugs: 5 x 10

24kg upright rows: 4, 5, 8

24kg swings: 2 x 10

24kg loaded carries up and down three flights of stairs

16kg neck extensions: 3 x 4

Hanging bent leg raises: 8, 6

Planks: 2 x 20s

Tuesday, March 30 - Clean & Goblet Squat Practice

Just a few sets of 24kg cleans and goblet squats, each done 4-6 reps, in-between work and life responsibilities.

Wednesday, March 31 - Legs

SL one-step squat: 4 x 5

SL Chair Squat: 16kg x 2 x 6

SL Calf Raises: Body x 15, 10, 10; 16kg x 2 x 10

Unfortunately I ripped the skin on my finger doing gardening, so the next few practices may have to eliminate cleans, swings, and the like while my skin heals.

Thursday, April 1 - Push

Single-Arm Floor Press - 16kg x 2 x 8; 20kg x 6, 8, 8

24kg goblet floor press - 3 x 12
alt. w/
Push-ups - 3 x 10

OHP - 16kg x 5 x 6

Upright rows - 16kg x 3 x 8

Saturday, April 3 - Pull

Pull-ups - 4 x 2

Chin-ups - 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

Single-Arm Deadlifts with Shrug on top - 4 x 10

Easter Sunday and Monday - Clean & Front Squat Practice

I got a second 24kg kettlebell, so I've just been practicing cleaning and front squatting both of my 24's throughout the day. All I have to say is - wow! A double 24kg kb front squat is MUCH harder than doing 48kg with a barbell back squat!

I did a "deload" week last week, not because I'm dealing with heavy loads, but life really beat me down last week and I had to reduce the amount of time I spent training.

Here's what I did:

Tuesday, April 6 - Legs

Single-leg one-step Squats - 2 x 5

Thursday, April 8 - Push

Push-ups: 5 x (5+4+3+2+1)

OHP: 16kg x ladder going up to 5 reps, then back down

Friday, April 9 - Pull

Chin-ups - 3 x 2

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom