all posts post new thread

Barbell Getting back my old deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ny Wc

Level 2 Valued Member
Hi

Use to dead-lift 500 pounds among other things but I stopped training for a few years. Right now, I am getting back into things. I'm doing barbell front squats and power-cleans (my old prs were Front squat: 250# x 5, Power-clean: 190#) I'm also doing one-hand swings with my Kbs. One of the main reasons I chose these lifts was because I enjoy them. I'm not back-squatting because I would not enjoy a heavy bar on my back at this point.

I'm gonna start dead-lifting again. I'll probably work up to a 70- 80% 3- 5 rep max every few days. Do you think my dead-lift will go back up or do you think I'll hit a wall really quick? Any advise on how to make my DL go back up?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi NY WC,

Welcome to our community!

I assume you haven't seen a response because your questions are slightly confusing:

"Do you think my dead-lift will go back up or do you think I'll hit a wall really quick?"

Nobody can predict this.
My only advice - careful with dwelling in old PRs.
You ego might drive you in progressing too fast which leads to injuries or overtraining.
In those cases you surely hit the mentioned wall.

"Any advise on how to make my DL go back up?"
  • Make a training plan. (based on your time budget, capabilities, recovery speed).
  • Follow it for long. (more then 4 weeks! Think rather 6 months+)
  • observe, log & make small adjustments.
  • Repeat.
Here, at T-Nations and elsewhere you can find many programs which work.
Countless discussions in this forum (look for Justa, PTTP, Jim Wender 5-3-1, or simply 'deadlift').

PS:
about one of your details - I personally find cleans and DLs in one session too demanding for the lower back. Sometimes though I use light cleans as warm-up, then rather as practice and only with modest weight & volume (<50%, 8-10 singles).

In general, strength is like riding a bicycle - once you learn how to do it, you won't forget. And, just like riding a bicycle, if you haven't done it for years, you're not going to go do all-out sprints or a 100-mile ride on your first day back, and just like riding a bicycle, you might come back not quite as good as the first time but you also might come back better than ever. The only way to know is to begin training again, patiently and intelligently, and let the results come as they will.

-S-

Hey,

I am currently able to do 3 sets of 3 reps with my bodyweight (61) in deadlift. I do this 2 or 3 times a week. Basically, I use above al kettlebell.

So my question is: if I want to gain strength, is it better to keep this schedule but doing 3 sets of 4, and progressively 3 sets of 5 ? Or is it better to keep 3 sets of 3, but increasing the load ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Ny Wc, you weigh 61 kg and have had a 500 lbs. deadlift - that's very impressive. I weigh 67.5 kg, my best deadlift is 162.5 kg, and I pull 130 kg (80% 1RM) for reps with a clean grip and with no warmups. No one with a 500 lbs. deadlift - that's about 225-230 kg - needs to be deadlifting 61 kg except as perhaps a first warmup set.

Please tell us more about yourself, e.g., were you or are you injured now or recovering from an injury?

Did you compete or do you have a video of your 500 lb. deadlift, or of any heavy deadlift from training or from competition?

-S-

I am currently able to do 3 sets of 3 reps with my bodyweight (61) in deadlift. I do this 2 or 3 times a week. Basically, I use above al kettlebell.

So my question is: if I want to gain strength, is it better to keep this schedule but doing 3 sets of 4, and progressively 3 sets of 5 ? Or is it better to keep 3 sets of 3, but increasing the load?
Volume is an important determinant of strength training success. A good next goal for you would be about 200 deadlifts in a month which means about 50 per week on average. Vary the weekly total, e.g., do 35, 45, 55, and 65 rep weeks, and mix those up in the course of each month. Aim for a minimum of 10 reps in a training day and a maximum of 25.

A good intermediate goal is 3 sets of 5 reps in a single workout, and eventually 5 sets of 5 in some workouts. More than 200 in a month is OK, but 200 is a nice milestone. It's 2 sets of 5 reps each, performed 5 days a week, or the equivalent of that placed into few sessions.

Report back in a couple of months and let us know how you're doing, please.

-S-

Hey,

@Steve Freides
Thank you for answering me ! I will do from 10 to 15 reps (2 or 3 sets of 5) a day.

Firstly, I will probably do 2 sets of 5, 5 days on month 1. Then, if I can, I will do 3 sets of 5 on month 2.

Of course, I will report you back my progression in a couple of months.

Kind regards,

Pet'

BTW, anyone interested in knowing why I made the specific recommendations I did would do well to attend an upcoming PlanStrong seminar. I attended the first one a couple of years ago, and I am going _again_ because there is a lot to learn, and I'm sure Pavel has done what he always does, taken the material and made it even better.

Plan Strong - Info and Registration

-S-

based on class of lifter?
No, based on PlanStrong principles and experience teaching the deadlift. More volume is possible and desirable but not at current level. (Maybe that's what you meant by 'class of lifter' - if so, yes.)

-S-

There is Russian lifter classification which tells volume of lifts in regards to level of the lifter, sheiko uses similar stuff. Thanks :)

Hey,

Currently, I am able to do 5 * 5 with my bodyweight, with a good recovery. As suggested above, I do it almost everyday. Nevertheless, I feel it more and more easy.

My goal is to increase strength, not endurance. Then, should I increase weight ? If yes, how many kg should I add ? (and reps / sets with the new weight)

Thank you !

kind regards,

Pet'

A standard, good cycling approach is to increase the weight while decreasing the reps. Try

(BW) x 5 reps x 1 set
(BW + 5kg) x 4 reps x 4 sets

next time and see how that feels. When it feels ok, try

(BW) x 5 reps x 1 set
(BW + 5kg) x 4 reps X 1 set
(BW + 10kg) x 3 reps x 3 sets

When that feels ok, try

(BW) x 5 reps x 1 set
(BW + 10kg) x 3 reps x 1 set
(BW + 15kg) x 2 reps x 2 sets

And finally

(BW) x 5 reps x 1 set
(BW + 10kg) x 3 reps x 1 set
(BW + 15kg) x 2 reps x 1 set
(BW + 20kg) x 1 rep x 1 set

Remember that you must maintain good form. If you switch to a harder workout and have doubts about your ability to do your next planned set, just stop the session there and next time try for one more set until you can finish the planned workout.

This plan gets you a 20kg increase, which is 30% for you, which is very good. (Too big an increase for an experienced deadlifter with a higher max but fine for you.)

Please report on your progress. (Hint - start a Training Log here.). Spend as many sessions on one workout as you need to feel you really own it.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom