all posts post new thread

Barbell Getting Big And Strong At 64

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
silverraw,thank you sir,I actually saw the video the other day and yes,your right about the language.As Steve A mentioned,I'm sure all the different programs will work,I do find it very interesting all the different ideas and how there implemented.I don't feel like I'm 64.I also have to work on my diet too.Thank you again.

I have and am big fans of that series. Ageless athlete is specific towards older lifters and has a lot of great advice. Jim is a rare person who lost a 100lbs and became super strong in his 40s.
mass protocol is a bit geared towards younger people though. You might be better off doing a block of hypertrophy that is a bit more traditional. Building mass with heavy loads is hard on the joints.
This video is a good resource for what to expect at different training ages, warning that Dr. Isratel does use colorful language.

Silveraw, Jim is a great guy, but he did not become strong in his 40s. He played college football and did powerlifting before he ever got into TB. AA was written in his early 40s. As for Mass Protocol, many of the older lifters have run it, and for somebody who is not yet pushing heavy weights (for them), the loads are really not a problem - in fact they will of necessity be lower than in several of the other programs suggested here.

My personal, default program minimum is one-arm kettlebell presses, barbell deadlifts, and relaxed walking. Pullups optional (read: I do them sometimes). Warmup with bodyweight squats and egyptian stretch for the shoulders.

-S-
Steve that can be an amazing way to train.

I have heard good things about one DB (or KB) programmes. 3x8 alternating day one and day two....

Day one:
One arm press/push press
Row
Reverse lunge

Day two:
One arm bench/floor press
Row
Rear foot elevated squat

Richard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom