all posts post new thread

Old Forum Getting started with Rucking

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Phil,

The "formula" is potentially not accurate, but if you are 25yo, 150 as an upper limit if safe.  Short of a stress test to confirm, 120 is low for aerobic work... for you.

Thanks Al, I've only just gotten an HR monitor and started to track what I'm doing. 25lb seems to dig into my shoulders (of course I'm only using an old backpack and some weight plates), so I think I'll stick with 15lb and try to up the pace.

What would you (or anyone else) recommend in the budget pack territory, keeping in mind this will be used only for weight and doesn't need any bells and whistles.

Phil, you can rig a better weight than a plate: sand, kitty litter, chains, water jugs... pad it with blankets or a closed-cell foam sleeping pad.

I'm a legit mountain dude and used to work in gear shops.  All the gewgaws on packs are just B.S. made to make the pack look fancy in the store and make more money.  My packs are just a bag with two shoulder straps -- no hipbelt, no pockets, no zippers.

My preference for progressing is adding jogging rather than adding weight, but man, Al's article is rucking awesome!

Rucking can be hard on the body if not done reasonably.  Most military grunts (ground troops) have lots of experience with the unreasonable application of rucking.  That is why so many have knee, foot, hip and back issues.  With smart preparation, and reasonable progression, it can be a great way to train.  There has actually been lots of research on rucking.  Progressive overload is the key, along with training that supports rucking.  I have a complete program here (www.prevost-training.blogspot.com) that I used with lots of Midshipmen at the Naval Academy.  I'm not selling anything, just a site to share what I learned working with the Midshipmen.

In relation to the ruck question - it is an important consideration.  I often get numb arms when rucking due to the straps cutting in and blocking circulation - which makes you look like a clown if you have to wave to someone (I see a lot of regular walkers out early) :)

Another is how the weight is distributed.  Which will influence something like the above (strap cutting) but as well how the weight and ruck sits on your back.  Be aware that (for heavy loads) it doesn't take much to rub through a t-shirt and then blister/tear skin if the weight is quite concentrated (like a kettlebell).  Half way through a long ruck with a 45lb weight say,  blistering is only going to get more painful exponentially.  And of course - if your ruck breaks you'd have a good farmer's walk session on the way home.

A short aside too – I think I can say that I have observed that doing heavy dips after a heavy ruck (1hour ruck) – say 2.5hours later – still can be affected by the ruck. I was surprised – you’d think the ruck would open the chest and those dipping muscles be “stretched”. Yet they are also (or moreso?) fighting this pull and so can get a bit of tension – which would make them fatigue a bit more quickly.

So, not just dips, but if you did some benching close to a ruck, might be the same. Not sure about longer periods – and after 24hours probably (95% sure) not. Well to put it another way - doing them alternate days (so chest-related one day, ruck the other) is stronger than same day.

Yet there is a chance too that squat (I only can do partial) seems stronger on a ruck day (well 2.5hours later) - as if the ruck has primed those muscles for action.

Chins - can't really say if there is more or less fatigue from rucking and chinning (again 2.5hours later). Dips definitely noticeable yet chins not so.

DL – can’t hold a bar at the moment to do heavy DL so no real idea if they are affected.

Just what I’ve observed for me. Maybe too my rucking position or posture could be better so my chest is not fighting the weight ?? - and then not fatiguing for the dips.

I've been thinking too of experimenting with a ruck on a bike (push-bike). :) Serious.

I wrote a ruck training program for the Midshipmen at the US Naval Academy.  It was used by MIDs preparing for USMC TBS, SEAL Screener, Infantry Skills Team and a few others.  Simple but effective program.  You can download it for free here:

http://prevost-training.blogspot.com/p/ruck-training-program.html

I wonder if, to get added benefit from a ruck (and after doing it for a while and getting ruck-fit) if there is agreement on the better way to progress?  Up the ruck weight, inc. the distance/time or decrease the time?

I know Mike you suggest some shorter rucks at a good pace more frequently.  I like that idea in general - and practically it works more easily.  Yet I can imagine a 1.5hour ruck would start to do some magic that a 1hour wouldn't, as at the end of an hour I am starting to feel the effects of the ruck.  I could imagine that an increase in the weight could solve everything, but I guess it is also a nonlinear change for the body.

The research says that short, heavy rucks will transfer to lighter, longer rucks but not vice versa.  When pressed for time, go heavy, walk fast and keep it under an hour.   If you have the time, a mix of both is ideal.  How you structure it depends on your schedule.  I have had some folks concentrate on heavy rucks with a weight progression, and rucks no longer than 40 minutes (2-4 times per week), but include a progressively longer ruck every 2 weeks with a lighter weight.  That worked very well.  You can also do some brutal workouts on the treadmill.  Try setting the treadmill at 4 mph and 0% grade.  Then every minute increase the %grade by 1 until 10% grade, then down by one to 0% grade.  This is a 20 min ruck workout that will crush you if loaded appropriately.

Some folks do well with a run and strength training program and a ruck once per week (progressing in either weight, distance or both).  We generally always train at the same speed, about 4 mph.

4mph – that’s a good pace even without a ruck! I better up the pace. That’s like 6.5 kmh. Think I’m straggling around 5kmh.

I really should somehow measure my circuit. I am fortunate it is totally flat, but miss the benefit of a changing terrain. I’m pretty boring – since Al (on here – legendary Al) put out the challenge/idea, I’ve been just doing the same weight (a kettlebell) from day 1 for 1hour at a time.

I’m curious how I’d go with a 32kg (70lb) ruck – that’d be my next step up (kettlebells again). Apart from arm numbness, shouldn’t be that bad….?! The treadmill idea sounds brutal (one good use for it) - I could imagine it. I was wanting to try a beach ruck. Maybe one day.

Matt,

Sorry if you mentioned this, but I did not read back over the thread...

Are you rucking for fitness or a MIL app?  You don't need to walk 4mph for the former...

A 32kg bell in your pack?  Better you than me... maybe place few bath towels between the bell and your back.  I have a 60lb bag of concrete that cost me less than $4... very comfortable.

Finally, I challenged no one ;]

Hi Al,

:)  challenge - actually inspire is a better word.

I am just rucking for the "fun" of it!  Fitness - no MIL app.   I got trigger-finger from my kayak and so had to adapt.   The concrete is a good idea actually, as my kettlebells do need towels like you say!

Goruck filler bags are pretty cheap and work well.  They are tough condura nylon and feel like they would last decades.  Nice double velcro closure.  They have new iron "rucking plates" that are flat and optimally shaped for placing in a ruck as well.  Their rucks are expensive but really good quality.  The GR1 rucks really well.  The straps and shape of the ruck keep the weight high on the back.  I find it comfortable for loads up to about 60lbs.  Due to the size of the GR1,you can't really get much more weight in it than that.  It is a great design.  Built to last.

Hey SF rucking crew, I've been making some good progress with my rucks. Swapped out the weight plates for bags of concrete -- MUCH kinder to the shoulders! Been finally having some good rucks now that I can go for distance, the other day I did 2.5 mi with 20 lbs keeping my heart rate between 120-130 most of the time. Really having a blast with it actually, walking in the woods, listening to podcasts, working up a bit of a sweat.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom