all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Tuesday:
2,3x135lbs power cleans, 2,2 145lbs power cleans
3x6x175lbs back squat ( tough)
3x6x50lbs cossack squats (weird with right ankle)
2x5x50lbs renegade rows against a paint can
4,5,6,4 flying lunges (was only supposed to do 2 sets)

Thursday:
3 serieses of 6x10secs hill sprints, 1 min jogging between sprints, 8 minute jogging between serieses. I hate these workouts.

3x series:
10x plank walkups
10x bent-leg hanging leg raises (going more slowly, less swinging)
10x side plank top leg lifts
(Was supposed to do these Tuesday)

Friday:
Jerks:
2x 135lbs, 2x145lbs, 2x155lbs (hard, should have done more warmup sets)

Behind the neck press: 3x6x75lbs (fairly hard, last two sets were limit)
Superset with 3x6 pullups (slow eccentric made it tough, along with slippery bar)

3x8x35lbs landmine chest press (right arm much more explosive)
3x8xbodyweight inverted towel row

Banded face pulls: 12x50lbs (fail- too heavy), 12x30lbs too light, 2x12x40lbs (tough)
Superset with 3x10x10lbs neutral grip shoulder extensions, 2 second negative (though I can't hold the top)
3x12 rear delt flies with 5lbs plates.
20x40lbs, 12x50lbs reverse shoulder extensions (pulling out of the shoulder extension position with straight arms)

3x circuit:
6x dragon flags with 1 leg tucked (focusing on connecting lats with trunk)
8x straight leg bridge
8xab wheel rollouts (lat-trunk connection focus)

Saturday:
2,2,3,3,2x135lbs hang power cleans.

Later in the day:
10 45lbs verticle jumps with one minute rest for 3 serieses of 5 sets. (Used a KB Swing type hip hinge motion to good effect-- power stayed high up to the last few reps of the last few sets.)

Monday:
25 minutes easy jogging (calves so sore from running around yesterday at Youth and jumping the day before).

Tuesday: 5x2x145lbs power cleans
Back squat: No more than a few reps with 175lbs. My knees hurt too much, can't do heavy squats. Really upset about this, gonna have to deload a lot. Too much running jumping and sprinting to keep adding load. I'm also eyeing slow fiber training, especially for lower body.
Skipped rest of workout.

Thursday 10/6/2022

10x10x50lbs KB swings and 10x10 pushups, sets of 10 on the minute alternating for 20 minutes. (Arms and grip pumped. Lungs working and legs tired.)

Moving Arms to Sunday, since yesterday's workout worked lats and tris heavily.

Saturday:
AM: Plyometric Week 1 Day 1: (forgot them Tuesday)
Skipped single-leg hops, double-leg hops and bounds were tricky

2,1,1x145lbs , a a few doubles with 135lbs, 3x2x145lbs hang power cleans.
Landmine rotations: 6x25lbs, 6x35lbs, 6x45lbs (35lbs seems the sweet spot for power)
4,6,8 contralateral single-leg-RDLs
3x5x115lbs Good Mornings (forgot to do these last four weeks- maybe because I hate them.)

3x circuit:
60 sec neck bridge front/back
45 second 35lbs armbar hold
60 second BW deadbugs
PM:
5 "build-ups", then 15x50 meter sprints, 350meters of walking between reps.
Took an hour and 20 minutes.

GTG with 135 --> 145lbs power cleans for 1-3 reps (I think this instantly improved my technique and power)

Last edited:
Sunday: Arm day:
5x2x145lbs Split jerks (right+left), 5x tricep lockouts after each set. Solid power and technique today.

6,6,5,6,6x75lbs behind-the-neck press (hard, tip of thumbs at the edge of the knurling, so forearms are vertical)
Superset with 4x5 chinups with 16lbs (hard)

3x10 inverted towel rows (Very hard, tended to fail the last rep. Slow eccentric first set, then had to increase the speed of eccentric subsequent sets due to fatigue/pump)
Superset with 2x10x40lbs, 10x35lbs landmine chest press (Very hard. First set or two had slow eccentric, had to increase eccentric due to pump.)

3x circuit:
6x leg-tuck dragon flag
8x ab wheel rollout
(Skip straight-leg bridge- posterior chain sore from yesterday)

3x10:
50lbs banded face pulls
10lbs neutral grip shoulder extensions
50lbs band shoulder un-extentions.

3x10 rear delt flies with 5lbs plates.

This workout was tough mentally. I hate the pump from those sets of 10, and I can't help but feel like they make me weaker rather than stronger.
The lactic acid accumulation probably isn't good, and it just seems like an ineffective version of ST training. I don't think slow twitch fibers are important in the pressing muscles.
Maybe ST Chinups and Squats/RDLs are usefull, but with pressing muscles it seems pointless. I keep thinking that high rep sets are not helpful, but I know I'll probably have to do 4x10 on compound moves with long eccentrics in the Wrestling season, so I want continuity in the training process.
Maybe more shaking will help. I'll probably never do ST pressing again after this season, just A+A pushups, then it will only be ST legs and chinups alongside Fast Twitch training, A+A and Aerobics.

Monday: 25 minute easy/Z1 jog
Jogged continously, slowly up hill, faster elsewhere. Started off at relatively low HR mostly, on second half was in Z1 mostly.

Tuesday:
Plyometrics day 2: skipped SL Hops and Depth Jumps (calves too fatigued to continue to depth drops despite rest.)
2,3,2,3,2x145lbs power cleans
Was going to squat, realized It wasn't going to happen. Can't squat to depth right now because of pain in front of knee. Shifting focus to regaining health by wrestling season.
ATG "side-step downs" up to 3x10x85lbs from the bottom stair. Feels good for the knee.
4,5,6,4 flying lunges
AGT triple-flexion and ankle flexion for sets of ~20 with 40lb black band, superset with 3x10 side plank top leg lifts
3x5 ATG split squats (Felt good)

20,30,30 SL seated calve raises with 50lbs kettlebell.

Today was a good day. I wanted to squat heavy, but I couldn't-- but I did get stronger in new exercises, and I'm on track to rehab my knees.

Last edited:
Thursday:
Skipped jerks- I've decided it's not worth doing jerks with cast iron plates, no jerk boxes, and a cramped basement setup.

5x5 16lbs chinups-barely made all the reps.
6,6,6,6,5 behind the neck presses- failed the last rep, tried it again a minute later and failed it again. I'm burning out here, not getting stronger. Next week, it will be ladders of 1,2,3 Klokov presses and 3,2,1 weighted chinups. Basically switching to cluster-set style training, to deload and switch to neurological training.
Skipped the rest of the workout.

Donated Blood- AB+
HEART RATE OF 55BPM

Decrease of only 1 from donating blood 9ish months ago. But at that point, I was deep in wrestling season, so I was already in great shape.

Friday:
15 50 meter sprints, 350 meters walking between sprints

Saturday:
Plyometrics week 6 day 1

5x3x145lbs power cleans,

20 minute swing/pushup workout:
10x10 50lbs swings, 10x10 pushups, on the minute.

Finished with 4,6,8 50lbs SL RDLs
Skipped good mornings
3x circuit:
1 minute neck bridge per side
8x straight leg bridge
1 minute bodyweight deadbugs

Monday: 25 minute zone 1 bike with new aerodyne bike (computer not functional- got it on FB Marketplace for 50 bucks)

Tuesday:
3 minute bike and dynamic warmup
Plyometrics, week 6 day 2 (one behind now, still skipping SL Hops and Depth Drops)

5x3x145lbs power cleans (feeling good and snappy today. Keeping my hips lower in the first pull)

Squats- up to 75lbs for 8 reps or so in the front squat- then knee pain came back. This was after warming up bodyweight and with goblet squats.
Did "Fire in the hole" squats"- powering up and down in the hole, mostly bodyweight for sets of 40 or so (Short ROM-massive quad pump, little/no knee pain.) Reps start of slow-basically bouncing up/down on my fat- get up to above parralell and back down.
3x10 50lbs side-step-downs.
3x circuit:
skip plank walkups
10x swinging hanging leg raises (Weirdly, my hip flexor is popping, and I can't do them without pointing my feet out. Weird.)
Superset with 4,5,6,4 Flying Lunges (I've figured out the secret is internal rotation- challenges my hip mobility.

Last edited:
Thursday:
Warmup: 3 mins bike and 6 sets of shoulder external rotations (bands and dumbell version)

(1,2,3)x5x75lbs Klokov press (Hard, makes my left shoulder twinge. Need more shoulder mobility and warmup), superset with 5x(3,2,1)x16lbs weighted chinup (easy, time to add reps).

5x10xinverted towel row (nice lat pump)
superset with 5x10x35lbs landmine chest press (Need more time at this weight. Sets aren't ending pretty.)

3x12x5lbs seated shoulder external rotations
3x12x5lbs bent over rear delt flies (left shoulder felt clunky)

3x circuit:
6x OL tuck dragon flags (getting strong at these)
45 second armbar hold each side with 35lbs (Left shoulder not that stable. No kidding.)
8x ab wheel rollout

3x superset:
10x45lbs barbell curl
10-12x overhead tricep extension with 10lbs plates.
Assorted shoulder mobility drills and stretches.

Last edited:
Friday 10/21/2022
Sprints: 5 "build ups" at half distance, then
20x50 meter sprints, with 350 meters walking between sprints. Went okay, but it was a loooong workout.

Saturday:
Week 7 day 1 plyometrics (no SL hops or depth jumps, SL bounds were pretty trash-calves very fatigued. Other stuff is getting much snappier though, especially 2L work.)
5x3x145lbs power cleans

Going to do KB speed strength and accessories tommorrow.

Sunday:
3 minute bike and dynamic warmup
4 "buildups" of both swings and pushups
10x10 50lbs swings and pushups On-The-Minute for 20 minutes. Breathing hard today.
4,6,8x50lbs SL-RDLs (tough to balance and coordinate well)
3x circuit:
1 min neck bridge front/back (back is easy... front was hard, abs giving out and making me move my feet up and shove my butt in the air
8x straight leg bridge per side (pretty easy)
1 minute continous deadbugs (hard at the last 20 seconds)

3x10 10lbs neck anti-rotations (Looped a cord through 10lbs plate and put the cord in my teeth, put my back on a paint cain, and slowly rotated my neck and then flexed back to neutral for reps) Will focus on slower eccentric next time.
4x10 second side-neck-bridge holds from the knees, head elevated on a 1' stool. (these are hard)
My back was sore this morning, now it's just destroyed lmao.

10,15,17 70lbs squats (with KB-- quad pump)
3x10 70lbs SL side-stepdowns (Felt good. Challenged knee stability in a good way.)
No knee pain at all, probably will start BB squats Tuesday.

Last edited:
Tuesday 10/26/2022
3 minutes bike and dynamic warmup
barbell clean and front squats: up to 135lbs for 8 reps. (good pump)
3x10x70lbs single-leg-stepdowns
3x circuit:
20xtib-raises withblack band,
10x swinging leg raises.

Thursday:
3 minutes bike, shoulder mobility (especially scorpion pec stretch).

5 serieses of 1,2,3x75lbs Klokov press with 30 seconds rest, alternated with 5 serieses of 1,2,3x16lbs chinup with 30 seconds rest. Did a series of presses, 1 min rest, series of chinups, 1 min rest, repeat x4. (Felt very good. Sets of 3 got hard, but it was good.)

5x10 inverted towel rows (last set was basically technical failure),
superset with 5x10 35lbs landmine chest press per side (hard, feeling my obliques keeping me from rotating). 1 min rest between sets.

3x10x35lbs overhead extension w/kb, superset with 3x10x10lbs seated shoulder external rotations per side.

3x circuit:
6x dragon flags with 1 leg tucked
45 second armbar hold per side with 35lbs
8x ab wheel rollout
12x banded external rotation with green 20lbs band.

Saturday:
Iron Cardio expiramentation:
Discovered that I can press 95lbs for 2-3 reps, overhead squat it for 5+ reps, muscle clean it for 5+ reps, and Bent-over-row it for 5+ reps. I'm okay with this, as the press is not a lift I do a lot (felt awkward), the other three drills would hamper each other if I went too heavy with them, and the program is press dominant anyways.

50 meter sprints:
Dynamic Warmup,
5 short "build ups"
15x50 meter sprints with 350 meters walking between. (Only did 15 because the sun had set and I didn't want to risk sprinting in the dark).

Last edited:
Sunday:
10x10 50lbs swings superset with 10x10 fast pushups, OTM for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom