all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Saturday: 5/3/1 W3 Bench Day:

3x3 clapping pushups on two-ish foot elevation (fat grips)
1x105lbs, 1x25lbs, 4x135lbs Fat Grip Bench press (could have done 5, my setup was messing me up a little though.)
Bent over rows, sets of 8: 45lbs, 55lbs, 65lbs, 75lbs (using a close grip to allow my lats to take over a little more, still trying to squeeze the scaps.
Dips: 8,8,5,3- 1 minute rest. My tired upper back was a big limiter in technique and strength.
3x20sec thick towel hangs (1 min rest between 1 and 2, 2 mins rest between 2 and 3 because I was struggling.)
A few dragon flags, but I wasn't feeling it. Largely because I could only do one side without bending my right knee.

20,15,15 pushups (last set was a struggle), superset with 8,6,6 pullups with a wide-ish grip.

Last edited:
Monday: Press Day:
Pressing first, as my knee isn't ready to squat yet. Probably hinge next, then bench, then squat. Good thing it's a deload week.
Press: 45lbsx5, 55lbsx5, 55lbsx5
Chinup: 10 singles with a band (just keeping in the spirit of the de-load.)

Klokov press: 2x8x65lbs with 2 minutes rest (First set was rough for the shoulders.)
Ab wheel: 2x10 with 2 minutes rest (abs got hit hard)
Armbar, 30 second hold per side: 35lbs, 50lbs (sprinkled in the heavier weight here. Felt really good.)

I've been thinking that the kettlebell press is probably a better, simpler option than both BB MP and Klokov press. More minimalistic, ergonomic, ect. Not sure though, BB is better for fast improvement, and the two combined probably work more parts of the shoulder/upper back.

Last edited:
I've been thinking that the kettlebell press is probably a better, simpler option than both BB MP and Klokov press. More minimalistic, ergonomic, ect. Not sure though, BB is better for fast improvement, and the two combined probably work more parts of the shoulder/upper back.
I'd love to hear the opinion of anyone reading. I'd probably do a Neupert type density program, probably DFW or even The Giant. Not sure if I would gain strength faster or slower, or if I'd be missing out on much.

I'd still be flat benching and doing lighter accessory work, like dips, maybe some form of incline bench (To replace pushups--Don't like them), probably tricep work. Not sure yet.

I did a lot of klokov presses back in like 2012-13. Never saw much gain. I’d drop them. I don’t think kettlebell or barbell is “better” than the other, both are great. If you only have time to do one, pick one and go for it. After a couple months, switch it up. I’ve enjoyed density programs more with kettlebell presses than barbell presses.

I did a lot of klokov presses back in like 2012-13. Never saw much gain. I’d drop them. I don’t think kettlebell or barbell is “better” than the other, both are great. If you only have time to do one, pick one and go for it. After a couple months, switch it up. I’ve enjoyed density programs more with kettlebell presses than barbell presses.
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I agree about Klokov presses: very incremental gains in an exercise that doesn't do much for me.

I'll probably stay with barbell for now, Throw in KBs later.

Updated Schedule: Didn't want to keep editing the old one and scrolling back up to it. Making exercise changes here.

Probably need to eliminate some things. We'll see.
MonTuesWedThursFriSat
ConditioningTempo IntervalsZ5 BikeRecovery bikeTempo IntervalsThreshold Training
(-+173)
Recovery Jog
StrengthPush Press/Jerk
Press/Chinup
Dragon Flags, Armbar
Explosive Repeat
Press, Chinups
Cleans
Hinge
Slosh Pipe, Hip Thrust
Neck work, Deadbug
KB Snatches
Plyo Pushup
Bench
Bent over Rows
Explosive Repeat
Rows/Pushups

Ab Wheel, Getups
Clean Pulls,
Squat
Zercher Carries
SL Squat, V ups
KB Snatches

Last edited:
Tuesday January 10, 2023
Could do full bodyweight squats without pain. Did a few sets of those, and biked for 30 minutes at 50rpms.

Wednesday: Hinge Day:

Started with kb snatches, a few sets of 5 with 35lbs. But I got a wart treated on my hand, and can't snatch without bothering it, so I stopped.
Good Mornings: 55lbsx5, 75lbsx5, 85lbsx5. Had a hard time using glutes rather than just hamstrings. Maybe not the right glute movement.

Hip Thrusts (Replacing RDLS-- too similar to Good Mornings): 3x8x135lbs (Set up for these was pretty bad. Need a tutorial lol. Got a good glute contraction though.)
Slosh Pipe: 2 laps around the yard. Biceps got tired first lol. Probably because I biked yesterday using my arms a lot.

3x circuit:
10x Neck Rotations with weight attached to rope in my teeth. (25lbs, 20lbs, 20lbs)
1 minute neck bridge per side.
1 minute continuous deadbugs.

SL work needs to be in Warmup, I think.

Thursday:
3x10 bodyweight squats
Air Bike: 5 minute easy warmup at 45rpms, 10 minute Tempo Interval session: 10:60 Work:recovery ratio, 45rpm recovery pace, up to about 80rpms (Tried to be about 70% of a sprint) in the work interval. Felt good, comfortable, good on the knees. I like these, much less boring than a straight-up steady state bike session.

Looking at my program, trying to assess gaps and redundancies... I think if anything I lack Glycolitic and A+A efforts. I'm not healthy for them right now, but I need a way to schedule them in. Either after steady state or lower body sessions probably. Hill sprints and/or swings/snatches? LCCJs? Tough pick. In the pre-season and in-season I probably need to reduce the steady state work for more of this, but steady state just makes me feel good.

Last edited:
Friday:
Bike: 5 minute warmup at 45rpms, 25 minutes at 53-55 rpms. HRM is lost rn, hopefully will be using it again soon. (Edit: Found it)

5/3/1 Bench
3x3 plyo-pushups, hands elevated as before. Feeling good.
Bench Press: 65lbsx5, 75lbsx5, 65lbsx5 (Feel strong)
Bent over rows: 8,6,4x85lbs (Tempo was medium, getting a good squeeze at the top I think.)

Explosive Repeats: 10 seconds on, maximally explosive, 40 seconds rest.
Explosive pushups (not plyo): 5 sets
Explosive Inverted rows (fat grips, scapula kept tight): 5 sets.
Lost tempo/explosiveness in the later rounds of both drills, despite using the easiest W/R ratio and relatively few rounds. Great pump work, great conditioning. Fast, multi-purpose accessory work. Love it, after this workout I think I'll skip JJ's Slow Fiber protocol for more of this.

Getups: did 1 per side, but my right knee is not comfortable hitting the ground due to the fluid on top of the knee.
Ab Wheel: 2x10

Doing a training session with my parents this evening, I'm excited for it!

Last edited:
Saturday, Jan 14, 2023
5/3/1 squat day:
Front Squat (not cyclist squat): 65lbsx5, 85lbsx5, 95lbsx5. (Good and strong. Felt my abs. Knee pain not there. Still have fluid on the knee though, which means I can't do stance-in-motion.)
3x20 V-ups. Good form, good burn.
Skipped Zercher carries, Single-leg squats and KB snatches, due to skin infection, knee, and finger respectively.

Sunday:
Knee started hurting like hell this evening. Wasn't doing anything, just sitting around at a social group and all of a sudden my knee is killing me and I have to limp everywhere. Okay, squatting that much was a bad idea, I was overeager to get back on program. Icing and taking Ibuprofen again. Looked it up, and Quadriceps Tendonitis apparantly takes 4-6 weeks to recover. Great. I'll rest a few days, then start squatting again much more slowly. Probably lean more into high reps as well, more sled work. This will take longer than I thought, and I might not wrestle for a few weeks even if my skin clears up by Tuesday.

Sunday:
Knee started hurting like hell this evening. Wasn't doing anything, just sitting around at a social group and all of a sudden my knee is killing me and I have to limp everywhere. Okay, squatting that much was a bad idea, I was overeager to get back on program. Icing and taking Ibuprofen again. Looked it up, and Quadriceps Tendonitis apparantly takes 4-6 weeks to recover. Great. I'll rest a few days, then start squatting again much more slowly. Probably lean more into high reps as well, more sled work. This will take longer than I thought, and I might not wrestle for a few weeks even if my skin clears up by Tuesday.
Sucks dude. I had 2 knee surgeries @ 16 y/o, things take a while. Stay strong, hang in there, and give it time. Find things that you can do pain-free - or at least that don't increase the pain. (Not medical advice.) Backwards sled drags might fall in there for you, or maybe even something like deadlifting. Go easy though. Time to develop a killer upper body. ;)

Oh and maybe don't "play legs" for a while, y'know what I mean?

Sucks dude. I had 2 knee surgeries @ 16 y/o, things take a while. Stay strong, hang in there, and give it time. Find things that you can do pain-free - or at least that don't increase the pain. (Not medical advice.) Backwards sled drags might fall in there for you, or maybe even something like deadlifting. Go easy though. Time to develop a killer upper body. ;)

Oh and maybe don't "play legs" for a while, y'know what I mean?
Thanks. I thought I was doing a good job. The squats yesterday were super easy, but I'm really feeling them now.

Easy hinge work will probably stay I guess, maybe some bike work too. Neither of those were a problem for me. Backwards sleds too. I'm just discouraged because I didn't feel anything wrong until the next day.

Going to an orthopedist in the next few days hopefully, then I'll have a clearer path forward.

Lower body work will not be on a schedule until I'm healthy again.
MTWTFS
5/3/1 Press
Armbar
V-ups
5/3/1 Chinup
AB Wheel
KB Presses
Diamond Pushups
SLosh Pipe
Rope Chins
Curls
5/3/1 Bench
Explosive Pushups
Neck Work
5/3/1 Rows
Explosive rows
Pullups
Deadbugs

Monday:
Last night my knee kept me up all night, heart rate up at 135 this morning (normally 55, up from 100ish last night ). Also have a fever.

Went to Orthopedist today. It’s an infected Bursitis, not a ligament/tendon thing. He sucked a lot of the fluid out with a needle, and sent some of it to be tested. Taking antibiotics and no leg work at least until I see him again next week. Molloscum has spread again, unfortunately.

Tuesday: 5/3/1 Press W5
hr down to 105 and fever is gone. Knee swelled up again but it’s definitely better.

BB MP: 61lbsx5, 71lbsx5, 81lbsx11 (pr)
Kb Press: 35lbsx(2,3,5)x3

20 minute workout, including setup. Good pump.

Last edited:
Wednesday: 5/3/1 chins W5
1,2,3,4xbodyweight chinups
11 chinups with 5lbs plate (Might have miscounted honestly, but I think it's still a PR. Weight at 170 rn.)
3x10 bodyweight towel rows, on-the-2-minutes (wanted 5, but I was struggling to get full range even on sets 2 and 3. Bis, forearms, grip dying.)

Last edited:
Thursday: A brief lower body day:
Pistols: 3, 5, 10 (tough, knee wobbled side to side, glutes burned), 6,4
8, 6, 4x70lbs SLRDL (Held with 2 hands in front- far easier to balance, felt like better hip mechanics.)
All on the left leg only. I had stopped pistols when I learned I don't have a tendon issue, somehow thinking it only helped rehab and not preserving strength.

Back
Top Bottom