all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Tuesday:
I went to a Writer's Association meeting, which meant I missed the wrestling warmup, and when we did sprints I thought I was going to die. I was wheezing like an asthmatic. Shows how a warmup is crucial for endurance. Hence why distance runners tend to start out slow and speed up over time.

Friday:
70lbs 2h Swings: 5x5 (First rep always seems a little shaky, my grip is looser than it should be, and I don't have enough tension in my lockout.
50lbs swings 2x10 (The 50lbs bell flew like a toy, it's never felt this light, or looked so small). My tension and technique felt much more stable with the 50lbs. I should start warming up with it. I tried a few OA swings, but I'm obviously not strong enough yet.

Getups: 24, 32, 24 ,32 Planned on another set of 24 and 32, but I got cut off by a personal issue. I don't mind, getups are less important anyways. My getups have been lazy with the 24kg, and shaky with the 70lbs. I need to watch my technique more.

I want to try to do at least one getup and set of swings every day, to work out this technique stuff. I'm itching to go to a higher volume plan, but I don't have time.

Sunday:
10x 50lbs swings, 5x 70lbs swings, repeat x 3 (NL=45)

Getups: 24, 32, 24, 32, 32

3x3 torture twist, with 3 count holds.

I'm also dropping the slow fiber training. It requires too much work to make it worth it for me right now, and I don't have the equipment to train grip with it right now.

Last edited:
Monday:
Pullups: 5,4,3 (wrestling workout)
*A crap ton of different squats at wrestling, including 5x4 50lbs jump squats and heel elevated front squats (worked up to 115lbs for a comfortable set of 5)*

Chinups: 3 reps to get my NL (15)
Pistols: 3,4,3,2,3 (NL 15)

Did two sets of 5 haloes, something I've realized I've neglected the past few weeks.

Tuesday: A crap ton of sprints at wrestling, I had no time or energy to train.

Wednesday:

Two minute plank test- passed.
Probably could have gone for another minute or more (depending on my pain tolorance), but I just wanted my two minutes. Did pushup plank position.

Warmup:
Superset 3x5 haloes and 3 70lbs suitcase carries (end to end of basement)
1 set of 5 50lbs 2H swings, 1 50lbs getup.
2 minutes of bouncing on my feet, jump-rope style

5x5 70lbs swings: Technique was solid, much better than usual. My standing plank was strong, as was my starting backswing and hinging in general. I believe mildly smoking my calves helped keep my swings solid and flatfooted.

Getups: 24,32,24,32,24

Thursday:
Warmup:
4x farmer carry and 4x5 haloes
2.5 minutes of pretend jump-rope

18 Pullups/Pistols: 5,5,5,3
*30 minute mark*
3x3x3secs torture twist
*35 minute*
105lbs hangs (about 1 min rest): 5 sec, 5 sec, 2+1+1 sec Fingers kept slipping off, this weight was either too heavy or the bar was too slick. I should use towels or chalk.
*40 min mark*

Did a mix of easy running and walking for 2.84 miles in 40.59 minutes.

Avg. pace was 14.25 min/mile, first mile was 13.54 (not too bad considering that my best mile times in middle school were about 10.30). My running was almost entirely flat-footed jogging. I could feel the pounding in my knees, and my ankles got sore from so much flexion. I probably ran around the same time as I walked, but I ran much more distance. I chose to run flat-footed because I figured it would be easier to adjust to than going straight to toe-running, and that my knees could take it.

Stretched my insteps and calves, my hamstrings, hips, quads, did butterfly and straddle stretch.

Later: Straddle stretched pretty hard, stretched my hips and hams again then stretched hard for the splits (contract/relax, forced relaxation)

Last edited:
I figured I'd post this here, I originally posted it on another thread.

2021: 15/16 years old at roughly 175 pounds
Got my first job (Jimmy Johns!)
Competed as a BJJ white belt in two regional AGF competitions (did very well in the first, had mixed success in second due to conflicting wrestling training and more competitive matches.)
Started wrestling as a junior, competing JV at 170lbs (1-3 so far- but getting better every match).

Worked up to heavy two-handed swings with 32kg (24 kg is a toy now)
Worked up to timeless simple with 32kg
Did 2 pistols with 35lbs
Did 1 pullup and 3 chin-ups with 35lbs
Still hate cardio
2022 goals:
Get my driver's license (EDIT: CHECK, March 3)
Get my blue belt (EDIT: CHECK, March 9)
Get a decent ACT score (EDIT: CHECK, February. Got a 33/36, aka 98th percentile)
Get a job at a machine shop
Compete as a senior wrestler

5 minutes of 32kg getups alternating sides, no rest
Timeless simple swings (my weakness!)
50lbs strict pullup and pistol
Get good at dragon flags and get up to 5x5x 5 seconds torture twists.
Run (on the toes) aerobically for an hour
Hang from one hand from a towel (a distant hope)
Front and Roadkill splits
Maintain shoulder mobility/flexibility

Other goals that I hope to work on after my KB goals:
Front Squat, BP, and Clean my bodyweight
Deadlift double BW
Start clean/snatch/jerking
Get strong in the Front Lever, Back Lever, L-sit, Straddle-L-sit (Levers on a straight bar for now, the sits I hope to obtain on some kind of unstable support, like rings or a pair of KB handles.)

These are probably way too much... But I'm gonna try them, in order of operations.

Last edited:
Saturday 12/25/2021 (Christmas)
Warmup:
3x5 haloes, 3x 70lbs suitcase carry across the basement
2.5 minutes of pretend-jumprope
50lbs getup
10x10 50lbs 2h Swings
I decided to do this after the first set of swings, as a bit of a test. And it went as I should have expected. After every set my heart rate and breathing went through the roof, my forearms got unbelievably pumped. The swings took over 30 minutes to complete, I wanted to quit after the 5th set, but I decided to complete them for the sake of the test. My grip was destroyed, but my lower body was basically unchallenged, and over the course of the sets I learned to hold the standing plank for a shorter period of time and learn to exhale after the plank.

A reminder for why I stopped S&S.

Hours later in the day:
Getups: 32, 24, 32, 24, 32 The first getup with the 32 was bad, it was basically a failure. Shows the need for a warmup.

Gonna try to get back to doing swings and getups every day. Going to adapt to 5x5x70lbs, and 24,32,24,32,24 getups.

Tuesday:
Pistols/Chinups: 5,3,3,5,3,3 (NL 22)

I'm really regretting my decision to train chinups over pullups. I am absolutely certain that my pullups have gotten weaker. My strength at the top of the pullup is horrible, because chinup ROM is reduced due to the bar being closer to my neck. My hollow position is garbage, I've been sticking my chest way up, my tension is bad. I should have just done pullups, maybe with some heavy curls added on.

Wednesday 12/29/2021:
Warmup:
3x 70lbs suitcase carry (My middle finger started having some discomfort where it meets the hand)
3 minute pretend-jump-rope

5x5 70lbs 2H swings: I wanted to do 7 sets, but the ache in my middle finger kept bugging me, so I decided not to push harder than usual.

Getups: 24, 32, 32, 32, 24 Felt pretty solid. Getting stronger. Had an elbow issue on the last two sets though, not sure why.

Torture Twist 3x3x3 secs Felt pretty solid, got a good work from this. I didn't do any extra grip like I wanted to because of that finger.

Stretched myself out after (avoiding back flexion): Stretched my calves/ankles both ways (noticed by ankle mobility beginning to bug me a little on Tuesday), did shoulder extension, the Pump stretch, Russian curtsey hamstring stretch, hip flexor stretch, S&S stretches. Felt nice and loose after. I'm finally using good training habits!

Thursday: Wrestling practice:
Did a relaxed warmup, so when I did 4 and 40's I felt like I was going to die. I was lying on the floor.
Did 5,4,3,2,1 bench press, adding 5 pounds each time up to 1TRM at 135lbs. Did the same rep scheme with the back squat, did a rock bottom 190lbs squat (might have cheated a little though). I probably could have hit it for a double or triple.
We did some power cleans after, one of the coaches helped improve my technique some. My group never went heavy or finished our sets in the clean.

I'm looking at Tactical Barbell 1 and 2, going to do the three programs in order of BB, Green, Black, then alternate Green and Black. I'm laying it all out now, all I'm gonna need is my rep-max once wrestling season ends. Gonna test my max pullup tomorrow and then gtg pullups.

Friday:
Warmup: 4x 70lbs farmers walks\
15 total haloes

2.5 minutes of Jump Rope (finally have a real jump-rope!)
7 sets of 5-6 70lbs 2H Swings (I was losing some power and grip strength on the last sets. Gonna keep doing this volume in the coming workouts, though. Probably went a bit too hard in the warmup.
Getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32 (kg)
3x3 torture twists (I certainly felt the torture this time)
This time I skipped extra grip training because my forearms were already pumped by the time I finished the swings. As opposed to when I skipped because of finger discomfort or bad memory.

I'm gonna switch between ab wheel and torture twist every two weeks, swapping to ab wheel on Monday.

Saturday:
I weigh 179 lbs (damn)
1 pullup
1 pullup with 16lbs
1 (almost two) with 35lbs, making my pullup 1rmax= 215lbs, so my bodyweight is about 84% 1rm, 80% is 172lbs. So I need to lose weight and get stronger pullups.
Did 5 suitcase carries with 70lbs, and 5x3 haloes.
(1,2,3)x3 pistols (NL=18). My quads were dead after this.
I skipped out on walking today. Now I feel like crap. You know what? I'm just gonna stop moping and go walk.
I walked for about 40 minutes with 22 pounds on, my arms are still unfreezing themselves. Feels good to have done it though.

My Pirate Map: (The specific path I want my training to take):

My medium term goal (next couple years or so)- physical and aerobic strength base:
-Perform Timeless Simple
-Run a 10k in about an hour
-Bench, C+P, snatch bodyweight.
-Deadlift 2.5x bodyweight
-Do a pullup and pistol with at least 32 kg
-Clean+Jerk Bodyweight + 20lbs, Low-bar Squat Bodyweight + 20lbs
-Be able to front lever, back lever, do a full leg raise, and an ab wheel rollout from standing.
-Do front and side splits

1. Build absolute strength: Heavy Swings, Getups, squats, pullups, then presses and deadlifts, along with ab/grip work
2. Build an aerobic base: Run at least once per week, do a period of frequent running at every once in a while.
3. Introduce Olympic Lifts and Gymnastics strength

Last edited:
Sunday:
Stretched all my stretches

Ran:
Alternated toe-running and walking for about 40 minutes. I went a lot farther than last time, though it might have been because of longer time running. My feet got a little sore, but it was nothing bad. And when I was running, my nose ran too.

Also, I'm fasted since last night, not eating anything until tomorrow morning.

I'm also working to implement my shark habits. I made a to-do list, and completed it over the course of the day. It's just the second day of really doing it and I'm loving it (I still hate McDonald's though. But I really wish I could have ate that pizza I had to skip earlier.)

Been thinking about the specifics of my program, I think i'm either gonna do block periodization for more specificity, alternating every 2-3 weeks, or I'll have to just select a group of skills and do those first.\

If I have to pick one cluster of drills, this first list will be it. Honestly, it's pretty damn solid. It's what I do right now.

Press: Turkish Getup (after simple, with presses at various stages.) (In revision, I might do the bench here [or weighted pushups], and keep the getup as an assist.)
Hinge: Kettlebell swing: After 50 daily reps of 70lbs swings, I'll do them in one hand.
Squat: Weighted Pistol squat, quad dominant style.
Pull: Weighted tactical pullup, with some other variations as well.
Abs: Torture Twist - train the complete core in a rotational way.

My "Cluster B", the list of other movements I'd also like to train and be strong in:

Press: Bench Press, a weak lift for me and a perfect balance for the getup.
Hinge: Power Olympic Lifts (split jerk) + clean-grip deadlift (easy strength)- building that ultimate strength.
Squat: Low-bar back squat- building powerful legs and glutes, the inverse of the pistol.
Pull: Horizontal Rows with a barbell. Build horizontal strength specific to BJJ.
Abs: Ab Wheel --> Hanging Leg Raise: Build powerful anterior chain strength.

Last edited:
Monday:
Pistols: 4x(2,3), 2
Warmup: carrying boxes of books up the stairs and out to the car.
Pullup test: 7 reps to limit. I probably could have got an ugly 8th rep, but I don't really care. My grip was admittedly a little fatigued after warming up by carrying those books, and I did do a good deal of rows and pulldowns earlier at wrestling. What the hell, I'll call it eight.
5x5 70lbs swings. I tried to hinge more on the last set, didn't feel right for my back. Overall, felt very strong.
Getups: 24, 32, 24, 32, 24: Focusing on doing a "One-two" pause at each position, especially on the get-down portion.
Ab wheel rollout from knees: 3x5 (Felt solid. I'll probably amp the sets up relatively fast, and stay at 5x5 for a while.
Towel hangs: 5, 10, 10 second hangs. (Getting hollow and squeezing my whole body tight helped me hold on. Glad to finally have this drill on the program.)

Back
Top Bottom