all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Wednesday:
My coach made us do tons of sprints on tuesday, and I was grateful for a dinner party preventing me from going to BJJ.

Today I had a wrestling meet, and I had to sweat off 3.5 pounds to make weight... and then I didn't get a match because the officials matched the wrong person with my opponent. Oops.

Thursday:
5x3 pullups,
getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32
3x5 ab wheel rollout, superset with:
3x 7 second towel hand (tiny thin towel)

Did a really tough leg workout at wrestling, and I was really strapped for time, so I skipped swings and pistols.

Friday:
4x3 pullups
3x suitcase carries as usual, superset with 3x5 haloes.
Practicing my swings, did 3 sets of about 10, videoing and reviewing each
I'm rounding my back on every downswing, and then extending it as I extend my hips. I'm also usually hinging too early and setting the bell down with a rounded back.

Saturday:
5x 70lbs suitcase carries
5x3 haloes
Getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32
Pistols: 2,3,5, 2,3,5, 2,3,1 (26 reps)

Later in the day:
3x3 pullups,
4 sets of kb deadlifts followed by a couple sets of 50lbs swings (see below)
3x5-6 ab wheel rollouts
3x12 second towel hang (counting in my head)

Wednesday (Was really busy other days, spending free time in afternoon on improving my swing)
Had a wrestling meet, and I whooped my opponent. He shot in twice, I sprawled and circled around each time. I broke him down a few times, and most of the time when he stood up I was able to "Sacrifice" him back down (got called for clasping once because I forgot to unlock my hands).

Edit: (2:00 minute mark)

Last edited:
Thursday:
AM Getups: 24, 32, 24, 32, 24 (got up early to do my getups)

5x3 pullups- focusing on form, speed, tension.

Did hinge drills, and towel and regular practice swings with 35lbs.

Friday 1/14/2022

Pistols: 3,2,5,2 (12)
Pullups: 4x3
A bunch more swing practice

Last edited:
Saturday:
Getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32 (I felt less strong today. Probably went too long without training.)

Monday:
A lot of lifting and then an absolutely miserable amount of sprinting and then pushups and ab work at wrestling. I'm gonna be out of it for a few days.

Thursday:
A bunch of swing practice culminating in a somewhat decent set with the 24kg. (video on thread above, I also recorded a set of pistols.)
Pistols and Pullups: 3,5,2,3,2,3 (NL=18)

Saturday: 1/22/2022
Pistols and Pullups: 5,3,4,3 (15)
Getups: 24, 32, 32, 24, 32
A crap ton of swing practice, culminating with 2 sets of about 10 with 70lbs.
4x3x3 second torture twist
4x10 second medium-sized towel hang (the kind of dish towel that you can bunch up into a 1 to 1.5 inch rope.)

I need to get back into training, the last week or two I've been slacking off.

Sunday:
3x farmer carries across the basement (a little farther than usual), superset with 3x5 haloes.
Getups: 24, 32, 32, 32, 32, (four sets with 32kg, for the first time in a while)
3x3 torture twist x 3 second holds (being more strict with my counting this time)
3x10 second towel hang (using a thick bath towel. This cooked my fingers like nothing else, it's exactly like how I felt post-spider guard training in BJJ.
Cooling down by training the extensors with an extensor trainer.

Monday 1/24/2022
5x 70lbs farmer carries
Pistols and Pullups: (5x2,) 5,3 (NL=18)
1x10 second towel hang (then I realized I was going too hard. I heard somewhere that heavy grip work taxes the CNS, but the abs can be pounded daily.)
4x3x3second torture twist.
I'm missing most of wrestling this week and next week for ACT test prep, giving me a needed break to prepare for the CompNet Tournament on Saturday.

Wednesday:
3x3 suitcase carries x 70lbs ( a bit shorter than usual, due to children taking up basement space.)
Getups: 24, 32, 24, 32, 24 (deloading for saturday, and I'm feeling a little less strong today anyways.)
Swings: 10x hinges, 10x towel swings, 10x 50lbs swings, 2 sets of about 15 70lbs 2h swings (got a nice forearm pump, breathing like Darth Vader, abs/glutes a bit worked)
5x sprints back and forth across the lawn, walking back and forth once in between each sprint. Got a decent pang in my chest following those.
3x3x3 second holds in the torture twist. Was especially hard after all the work preceding.

Edit: I've often been weighting under 170lbs without having to fast or sweat. I've been liking what I see in the mirror, have to take a picture and compare sometime.

Last edited:
Saturday: Compnet 2022 Missouri Winter Championships (tourney put on by Gracie Barra for GB schools)

I won both matches and won a gold medal, first by points, second by sub (triangle! This is like my 2nd or third triangle in sparring, ever!)..
My right arm was smoked from yanking on collar grips the entire time, legs tired from that triangle at the end.
I wanted takedowns but ended up pulling guard, me and my opponents just ended up stiff-arming each other in the gi and snapping each other down until we got penalized for stalling. There were no No-Gi matches.

Sunday:
3x4 70lbs suitcase deadlifts --> 3x suitcase carries. My trunk was smoked after that.
I did a "Top Set" workout with my Getups: 24, 24(2 sec pauses), 32(half-getup), 32, 32 (2 sec pauses). Felt pretty good, went decently fast.
Swings: Broomstick hinge drill, 3x10 50lbs 2H swings, 1x7 70lbs swings. I stopped my set early because of a discomfort in my upper back. The video revealed I was doing "Back extension swings" again, with my thoracic spine taking a lot of the brunt. Ugh.
5x5x3 second holds in the torture twist.
I've already worked my forearms pretty hard, and I don't feel ready to get back to heavy grip work yet.

Edit: I'm working on designing a homemade dip bar rn

Last edited:
Monday:
Pistols and Pullups: 3x(1,2,3), 1,2,1 (NL=22)
5x2 70lbs OAOL deadlifts, immediantly into 5xsuitcase carries across the room. I'm finding this combo works my trunk very nicely, the deadlift requires a lot of tension. Definitely something I need more time with.
5x3x3second holds in the torture twist (didn't get as much rotation as usual, which is weird)

Tuesday: I won a wrestle-off and am representing my school at JV GACs on saturday. I'm getting a 2 to 4 pound allowance in weight. I'm off school due to snow for the next two days. And since I've basically missed a week of wrestling due to ACT Prep, I'm starting to train seriously at home.

5 circuits of:
10x 50lbs Swings:
10x Pushups:
10x Burpees
7x inverted rows
Wednesday:
Running back and forth across the basement while pumping 3lbs dumbells for 10 minutes
A ton of stance-in-motion, foot-fire + sprawl drills, line drills and climb-the-ladder (basically, this has been the wrestling warmup)
Did a ton of bodyweight/banded solo wrestling drills (See Garage Strength), Including:
High-Crotch shots against a band
Driving up from a knee sprawl into a shot against a band
Banded presses from my stance
Snap-downs against the band.
Practiced my standups

Finisher: 5 circuits of:
7x 50lbs KB swings
7x Burpees with a pushup on bottom and triple-extension on top.
5x inverted rows
Went easier today because I did a lot more work previously.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom