all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Thursday:
About 13 minutes heavy hands jogging
A ton of stance-in-motion, working on downblocks and shots. (knee hurts from hitting the thin foam-puzzle mats.
Line drills, footfires+sprawls
Banded snapdowns and presses out of my stance
Banded shots and exploding out of knee sprawl
Drilled more standup
Finisher: 5 circuits of:
5 50lbs swings
5 pushups
5 burpees
3 inverted rows.

Tapering back for JV GACS on saturday.

Just found out JV GACs are canceled, not sure if it will be rescheduled. Damn.

I've also constructed a set of parallel bars, so I can do weighted dips now.

Saturday:
4,3,3 OAOL 70lbs deadlifts into 3 70lbs suitcase carries.
3x5 haloes
Pistols and Pullups: 3,5,3,5,2 (NL=18) I'm noticing my ankle mobility needs to be a bit better if I want to squat straight up and down without worrying about hitching. I'm also looking into my habitual duck-feet, stretching my glutes and psoas more, focusing on not legging my knees dip inwards as I squat.

Swings: 2x10, checking on technique. They actually looked pretty good.
getups: 24, 5x32kgs. The getups were taxing, but fairly solid.
3x3x3secs torture twist. Abs already worked hard today.
3x10 seconds hangs, with one hand gripping the bar, the other end gripping the bottom of a towel. Grip got toasted, the hand on the bar was supporting most of the weight. Earlier that day I had discovered I could actually hang from the bar from one hand unassisted, but by this point I was too sweaty.
This was a killer lat workout when I tried to keep my shoulders packed. I'm not strong enough to hold it in a hollow position because my lats are too stretched, shoulders start to pop, but I can either arch my upper-back or hoist myself up in a bit of a tuck-front lever to get a better angle for my lats to engage. I'd like to work up to doing it from that hollow position.

JV GACS are rescheduled for Tuesday after school! Time for another tough workout tomorrow!

Tuesday: JV GACs
First round was a buy
Won two matches, against guys who weren’t very good, the third guy who beat me was a good wrestler who had me on defense the entire time, he was strong and I couldn’t defend his shots. I took second and a silver medal, which is better than anyone else on my schools JV team, pretty good for just 100 days of wrestling. I’m getting praise, but I feel like I should have gotten first, or at least lost finals by points and not gotten dominated.

Things I did bad:
-Front headlock too deep, getting stuck and can’t circle. Should use double fish to control.

-Not taking/not good at shots. I’m only decent at sprawling, scrambling, mostly. I need to be able to take opportunistic shots and finish.
-Not prepared for standups when covered on my weak side (part of why I got wrecked last match)
-reaching back, trying to get wrist or head, gives away easy turns.
-letting my stance mirror my opponents
-not knowing the gestures for top/bottom/neutral. (Took bottom last match, should have gone top as I was down 10+ points and needed a lucky pin)
-not going for a hailmary takedown or gaurdpull—>sweep in the third period. I had one in my head all day, but when I was in trouble I never used it.

Thursday 2/13/2022: Got my blood drawn

Stats they got from my blood:
hemoglobin: 15.5
Blood Pressure: 117/73
Resting Pulse: 56

There are about 3 blood drives per year at Lewis and Clark, so I should be able to monitor progress throughout the next year.

Everything looks good rn, I plan to see some improvement as I implement LISS over the next year.

Last edited:
Friday 2/11/2022

pistols and pullups: 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,1 (NL=22(

1 attempt at one-arm hang- my shoulder caved open and popped a little, grip slipped a lot- not ready yet.
2x5 ab wheel- focused on "Squeezing" up back to 6 point position. Second set I pulled my shoulder blades down and back, and got the meanest contraction in my lats pulling back up from those ab wheels. I think that's how to get full depth and maximum contraction in the ab wheel rollout.

Saturday:
Didn't plan on training really, but decided to because I felt like it.

I tried to do a getup, but I have a "Bursa" on my right knee, so when I got to the lunge with my warmup weight I had that "Oh Fu-" moment when I put weight on it. So I'm gonna do some dips and then do A+A

3x5 dips, lowering down to a box at the limit of my ROM and pressing backup. Shoulder in a bit of discomfort, depending on technique.

A+A, every 30 secs, for 10 minutes: 11x1 70lbs 2h swings, 9x2 70lbs 2h swings. The singles were easy, breathing just a little above rest, the doubles got my systems running a good bit faster. I didn't keep going to the talk-test failure (as determined by the pledge of alleigence), but my grip was getting tired and my lockout was losing tension.

I got more volume with the 32kg bell in 10 minutes, than I've ever done in any other workout spare two or three, and with much, much less effort. This was me testing my foot in the water with A+A, and I honestly don't enjoy it that much, it seems like S&S in that it will give me a bad headache, and on a regular basis. I'll have to try the program proper with the clean-&-jerks at some point.

2/14/2022: Monday
Pistols and Pullups: 2,3,2,3,5,5,1,2,3 (NL=26)
Pullups need a lot of work, bugging my shoulders, particularly on the left.
Dips: 5xBW, 5x16lbs, 3x35lbs. Some moderately hard sets.
KB curls: 5x 35, 2x50, 4x50, 10x35lbs. These were harder than I thought. Just feeling the water with these movements.

Edit: I did a tough triple on the dip bar with 50lbs (triple dip?), by putting the bell in a cheap backpack like I did before. Well, when I was taking the backpack off the strap slipped out, and the pack with the 24kg kettlebell slammed onto my big toe. Now my entire toe is bruises, especially the skin under the nail, and ahh-hahahhah it hurts like hell! I think my toe is gonna fall off.

Last edited:
Thursday:
Toe is all purple now, including under the nail, with some blister-like bubbles of fluid and blood. Yum. It feels better now though, but I cant grip with my toe or flex it much at all. I hope my toenail falls off soon.
I did some easy lifting the past few days, some dips, some presses, a few two-legged squats and pistol squats on my uninjured side- dorsiflexion aggravates the toe.
Today:
5x dips, 5x pistols on the right leg, some bodyweight squats and goblet squats working on depth, proper knee tracking, ect. Right knee hurting a little while squating, some mindfulness fixed it. Squat depth needs work (or I should elevate my heels like with weightlifting shoes.
A good amount of heel raises on my right leg.
3x10lbs 50lbs swings (less power because I cant grip with/put weight on my toe.
2x10 6lbs dumbell external rotation. Need to do this more.
5x 35lbs Military Press each side
2x 50lbs Clean and Press each side. Probably leaning too much.
5x 50lbs OA floor press Not a comfortable movement at all.
5x dips, 3x 35lbs dips with the bars spreading away and out (I'd been doing them with the bars closing in as they go out). I think this is the better version.

Saturday 2/19/2022:
My toe is doing better, can walk pretty normally now. Can dorsiflex, even did a pistol or two. However, I think I have glutal amnesia in that leg from not training/ walking it- I feel the imbalance.
Wenr and rock climbed for a while, managed to do pretty good without putting too much weight on that toe. Tired out my fingers.
Went up and played with weights. Benched 145 for a single (PR!) I’m sure I could do more with better form, more tension, more effort.
Power-Jerked and high-bar squatted 135 pounds for an easy single or two. Can probably do body weight in each.
Went up to 105 in the full snatch and power clean. Snatch came much easier than clean, though I’m sure both had atrocious form. I honestly think a while on broomstick practice, and a lot of practice singles would get me straight to a body weight clean and most of the way to the snatch.
Everything’s looking up today

Tuesday:
Back home from Memphis, thankfully.
Did 3,4,3 pistols, 1,3,3 pullups. Pullups felt much easier after some haloes and after making my grip just a little skinnier.
2x5 dips. Didn't feel too strong, especially on the left side, maybe due to the bench press. Felt like my shoulder and grip on the left side were giving out.
2 short sets of swings with 70lbs (one warmup with 50lbs). Felt powerful, but my lower back felt loose after I set the bell down each time. I think I have glutal amnesia due to my toe getting smashed (I still can't grip the floor with it or flex it that much.)
1x half getup with 50lbs. I planned on going to 32kg, but my rep with the 50 wasn't good and the abs didn't feel ready.

I'm gonna rest a day or two then max for TB Mass program.

Thursday: 1 rep max for Mass: Weighed exactly 170lbs
Pullups:
3x bodyweight
2x 16lbs
3x35lbs weighted Pullup (PR)
1rm: 217lbs.
75%1rm=163lbs. This means I can't do pullups on light days, but I can do chinups assuming I could have done 4 or 5 with chinup grip. This is fine with me, as I was divided on whether I should do chinups or pullups anyways.
(last rep might be cheated, but I think I lost tension so hopefully it will work out in the Mass program.
Pistols:
3x bodyweight
2x16lbs
3x 35lbs pistols each side. Same as with pullups. I need roughly 7 pounds of help.
The last rep I might have hitched a little, on the left I pressed with my toe on the last rep and aggravated it a little.
Dips:
4x bodyweight
3x16lbs
2x35lbs
3x50lbs dips:
1rm = 233,
75%1rm= 175 (bodyweight + 6lbs.)
I think I could have done a fourth, but I probably won't count it. The heavy bell was pulling be forward, I tended to lean forward on the eccentric. A belt might be a good idea, I'm hanging the bell from my neck rn.

So.. TB Mass, 75%/80%/90%
Pullups: Chins, +4lbs, +25lbs
Pistols: -7(Belt + band), +4lbs, +25lbs
Dips: +6lbs, +16lbs, +40lbsimage_2022-02-28_163806.png
170+ grams of protein per day

Last edited:
I planned to do bjj on Monday and wednesday and do lifting tues/thurs/sat, but I had a brothers Birthday party on monday so Im behind on bjj. I'll have to keep lifting and let bjj take the hit.

Tuesday:
Warmup:
-2x15x6lbs dumbell external rotations,
-2x5 haloes per side

Superset 4x6 chinups with 4x6 10lbs band assisted pistols. Form a bit sloppy, but I got a good pump.
4x6 dips with 6lbs. I feel good with my dip form. Accidentally did a set of 7 or two, arms got smoked.

Swings: 10x50lbs, 10x70lbs, 7x70lbs (I was losing it at the end of that last set. I had a horrible headache after the first set of swings, and my grip and legs were giving out. This much volume is a shock to the system after the layoff. Hopefully it pays off.)

Wednesday: Finally got back to BJJ. Gonna take my blue belt test next week.

Thursday:

4x6 pistols each side, superset with 4x6 chinups. Pistols were way better than Monday, despite some serious soreness. Same with chinups. Stricter and stronger.
4x6 dips+6lbs.
4x5 Dbl KB deadlifts (70+53, switching sides.)
The deadlifts felt both to light, too slow, and too dumb and unstable. I need to swing. Maybe 5x5 with 70lbs, a minimum effective dose. I also want to do Nordic Hamstring Curls to give my hams a boost.

I have my driver's license now! Time to get to the gym and start lifting a barbell (but not for 6 weeks)!

Last edited:
Saturday:
Superset 4x6 chinups with 4x6 pistols (assisted w/ a light band),
Superset 4x6 6lbs dips with 5x6 70lbs KB swings (felt nice and solid, took my time feeling out the setup.)
Finished in exactly 45 minutes with 3x15 6lbs dumbell lying external rotations (left side basically running out of juice).

Sunday: weighed 172.6 pounds this morning. Working towards a somewhat clean bulk while on this program.

Also, I'm taking my blue belt test on Monday.

Monday: My instructor either forgot about it or I misheard him, I'm doing my blue belt test later this week.

Tuesday:
Warmup: 5 haloes
4x5 x3lbs weighted pullup (weighed 172lbs)
superset pullups with 4x5x3lbs weighted pistols

Superset 4x5x16lbs dips with 5x6x70lbs KB Swings. Technique starting to feel good. Working on that standing plank.

Finished with 4x15 6lbs dumbell external rotations per side. A whole nother set than last session.

Wednesday 3/9/2022: GOT MY BLUE BELT!

Thursday:

Warmup: 5 haloes
Superset 4x6x3lbs pullups with 4x6x3lbs pistols
Superset 5x6-7x70lbs 2H swings with 4x6x16lbs weighted dips.
Finish with 4x15 6lbs dumbell external rotations per side.

Saturday: weighed 177lbs
5 haloes
Superset 3lbs pistols with 3lbs pullups- working on ratcheting up the tension, in the pistols I’m focusing on the NW balloon cue and driving through the heel while gripping with the toe, trying to use my glutes more.

4x6 16lbs dips, not supersetted. Reducing rest times this way got a nice fatigue in my tris.
4x6 70lbs 2H swings
4x15-20 6lbs dumbbell external rotations. Should increase weight soon.

Tuesday: weighed 175 pounds
5 haloes, also did a minute of tactical frog to try to put my psoas to sleep.
4x3 22lbs pullups and pistols. Was pretty tough, tried not to superset but had to move back to it.
4x3 35lbs dips.
3x15 10lbs lying external rotations.

Skipped swings, need to recover better.

Thursday 3/17/2022:
5 haloes
4x3 22lbs pullups supersetted with the same sets/reps/weight in the pistols.
4x3 35lbs dips.
3x15 10lbs lying external rotations.

The pullups were challenging, but I made every rep. I think I am not packing my shoulders sufficiently. Hollow position should be a focus. Pistols are less challenging, but I think I may be cheating by hitching, and my knee is pushing inward- relying on Psoas.
Dips are not too tough, doing short rest periods for them. The dumbbell external rotations are basically to limit.

Back
Top Bottom