all posts post new thread

Getting Strong First for Jiu Jitsu

Friday:

Here to record that I am centimeters away from achieving the "Martial Arts Split", sort of a front split but the back leg is on it's side.

Saturday:
5 haloes
4x3 22lbs pullups supersetted with the same sets/reps/weight in the pistols.
4x3 35lbs dips.
3x15 10lbs lying external rotations.

Tuesday, March 22 2022:
5 haloes
4x6 chinups (a little bicep burn, but I got through), superset with:
4x6 pistols assisted w/ yellow band (not too hard, but I realized I was letting form slip and had to correct.
4x6 x6lbs weighted dips (didn't rest too much, got a good pump in my triceps.)
5x5x 70lbs 2H swings. Took a few sets to get my form back after a week off.
4x15 lying external shoulder rotations

Thursday:
5 haloes
4x6 chinups (I think i swung a little bit on the first 2 sets, struggled on the last)
4x6 pistols (focusing on heel-glute drive)
4x6 x6lbs weighted dips (channeling power through the elbow and armpit, felt quite good.)
5x7 70lbs 2h swings (getting stronger here)
4x15 10lbs external shoulder rotations

I probably did an extra rep here and there.

Sunday:

I missed Saturday because I had family over, and I had walked and played around so much that I was a bit sore.

5 haloes, making sure I use neutral wrists.
4x6 chinups, superset with 4x6 band-assisted pistols. They were both hard. Had to pay special attention to counting reps or I lose track. Might be swinging a bit in the pullup.

4x6 6lbs weighted dips, with hands turned out and 1/2" more depth. I decided to change the grip and increase difficulty, resulted in a great pump. Feel like Im getting stronger, also challenged the gut, like sprinting does.

10lbs dumbell external rotations: 3 right, 2 left. My right was doing really badly, all kinds of cheating going on by swinging my body with the weight. I suspect the dip grip taxed them, especially as I didn't space them out with swings, which I didn't feel like doing. I decided to end by giving my right, apparently weaker side another set.

5x70lbs swings: I didn't feel ready to swing. I quit after one short set. I'll make it up.

Tuesday: starting week 5 of TB mass, 1 less rep per set than week 2

4x4 6lbs pullups, superset with 4x4 6lbs pistols.
I've been reading about how the shoulder has to "unpack" and shrug up to get overhead position, which is why I thought I wasn't able to get hollow when hanging, I was damaging my shoulders by ultra-packing my lats and trying to hang. For the pistols, I eliminated a bit of the knees coming in by focusing on glute contraction and "strong, stable knees"; pushing them apart doesnt really work with a OL movement.

4x4 16lbs dips with hands turned out. I think I'm shrugging up a little bit, and the weight around my neck is pulling me forward. I'm okay with this, it's still better than before, I think.

4x5 70lbs swings: Not very comfortable or strong. I may need to deload with some lighter swings.

2x15x10lbs lying dumbell external rotations, 10 more reps on the right. I'm doing these slowly rather than jerking the weight up, I need to "bodybuild" my shoulder.

Last edited:
Saturday 4/2/2022:
Warmup: like 3 haloes, then shoulder pain made me stop; 2x5-10 35lbs OA swings, 4x5-7 50lbs OA swings.

4x6 6lbs pullups (these got pretty hard), super set with
4x6 6 lbs pistols (not as hard, but hard to keep my technique and muscles firing right to protect my knees. Noticed that if I hold the weight close to the body it gets much harder, much deeper.
4x6 x 16lbs dips (I think when I lean forward into the dips it lets my cheat by swinging back upright. Gonna try to stop now.)

10lbs dumbell external rotations (slow, bodybuilding style): 15 left, 15 right, 9 left, 9 right. Every set was basically to failure, because I didn't have my swings as active rest between this and the dips. I should probably make this a warmup.

Tuesday:
2x6 35lbs OA swings
4x5x50lbs OA swings
4x3x22lbs weighted pullups, superset with 4x3x22lbs pistols. I failed the very last rep of the pullups (so close!), and the pistols were a bit of a challenge.
4x3x35lbs dips. The hardest dip workout yet.

Thursday:
4x3x22lbs weighted Pullups, 4x3x22lbs weighted pistols (Made every rep. Last few pullups were tough, but I tensed through it.)
4x3x35lbs dips.
6 sets of 5 50lbs OA swings. Felt good. Using the free arm to time my hinge, Lion's Roar Snatch style.
10lbs dumbell external rotations: 2x15 reps, 10, 5 (for each side)

Saturday 4/9/2022: The final TB Mass Workout
Warmup:
10lbs dumbell external rotations: 15+15, 10+10, 10+10
Briefly stretched by knee-internal rotators with the roadkill split stretch
50lbs OA swings: (5R, 5L)x3

.4x3x22lbs weighted pullups, superset with (Pretty hard, but easier than last time.)
4x3x22lbs weighted pistols (Focusing on keeping my hips forward, makes it tough on my quads. Knee caving in as usual, left knee has been "cracking", probably a ligament moving. Need to work my gluteus media more, and work on 2-leg squats in the mean time.
4x3x35lbs dips: (Pretty hard, but not too hard considering the low rest periods I could maintain. I leaned forward into majority of the reps. I think I'm working my shoulders in a stretched position, which is why it was hard. I don't think this is that bad.

Monday:
Wrestling lifting: Talked to Athletic Trainer, he prescribed some exercises to strengthen my knee.
Weighted 177.4 lbs
Pullups
: 2xbodyweight, 2x16lbs, 2x35lbs (last one failed. the second was slightly cheated with legs, but I think the third almost-rep made up for it.)
Dips: 3xbodyweight, 3x16lbs, 3x35lbs, 2x50lbs, 5x50lbs

New pullup 1rm: 218lbs (217 before, but I'm much more confident in the quality of my max lifts.)
New dip 1rm: 256lbs (233 before. Pretty decent, but I could chalk it up to greater confidence, technique and neurological adaptations. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of this program.)\
Not maxing pistols out of concern for my long-term knee health.

Gonna spend the rest of the week testing, and I'm also gonna try to start running with Andrew Read's Running Program 2.0.

Next Program:
1 leg day, 1 arm day, one athlete day.

Leg Day:
1- Double kettlebell cleans
2a: Front squat
2b: Jumps (4-6 x 8-20)
Front Squat Interrupted Set
3a: ab wheel (3-5 x 6-12)
3b: Hamstring Roller (3-5 x 8-20)
3c: Calve Raises (3-5 x 8-20 reps)

Arm Day:
KB Push Press
2a: DB Bench Press: (4-6 xf 3-10)
2b: Pullups: (4-6 x 8-20)
DB Bench Press Interrupted Set
Pullup Interrupted set
3a: External Rotations (3-5 xf 6-15)
3b: barbell row
4a: Power Pushups (3-5 x 12-20)
4b: Zottman Curls (3-5 x 12-20)

Athlete Day:
1a: Pipe Walks, Spiderman crawling,
2a: Gwiz Jump (3-5 x 3-6 reps)
2b: KB Swings (3-5 x 3-6 reps)
3a: depth drop→ Single Leg Bounds (3-5 x 3-6)
3b: Stair Jumps
4a: Torture Twist

WTH-E Day: SL-deads, Getups, carries, Hill sprints.

Last edited:
Thursday 4/14/2022:
I did 1x50lbs getup, then 3-4x70lbs getups.

I could do all 5 if I really wanted, but I know what I need to know now. The heavy dips left me prepared for the 5 getups, though probably not daily. My shoulders felt a little uncomfortable, the press was easy. Knee a little unstable during the lunge, gotta do those exercises. I'm gonna need to do daily reps to get my form down again.

Monday 4/18/2022- beginning the next phase.
AM: (1 minute running, 4 minutes walking)x5 for >30 minutes. I basically shuffled on the balls of my feet running, walked moderately fast.
Not sure how I'm gonna structure my week apart from this. I've decided to eliminate the runs and continue to focus on the muscle gain while staying under or near 180lbs. I will combine walk-run with A+A 13 weeks out from first week of practice.

Last edited:
Tuesday:
I did a Garage Strength leg day workout. I've been trying to hold out and start with a barbell, but our gym key got lost and I didn't want to use the school gym.

so, Leg Day: Training outside, mostly.
Experimented with a set of 10 70lbs goblet squats, they sucked like hell.

5x5 70lbs KB swings, focusing on a deep hinge and a good plank. Gave me a damn good headache.

5R, 5L, 8R, 8L of a 70lbs single-bell front squat. It was sucky for the abs, but the legs felt fine. Did them on a slight hill to give my ankles more ROM. On the 8R set my left leg turned in a little, working to check that.
Superset squats with 4 sets of stair jumps, jumping up the stairs twice 3 at a time. I can do four but it interrupts the flow. Problems are back rounding and lack of explosive coordination. Needs more practice, probably longer rests as well. Headache continues.

Accessory circuit (back inside):
3x10 OL calve raises
3x8 ab wheel rollout from knees (had trouble feeling the abs after the squats)

3x10 Romanian Deadlifts. I was just writing that I hadn't thought of a hamstring accessory to put in the circuit. So when I thought of them I went and did them. I don't think I did them right, probably stressed my back.

Wednesday: Arm day with the wrestlers.

Incline Bench (30*): 2x30lbs dumbells: 10,10,8,7 (close to limit, losing verticle forearms to recruit triceps because my pecs are so pathetic.
One Arm Row: Superset with incline bench, same reps/weights as incline bench. Basically to limit.

Pushups: 8 with band (arms already destroyed), 8 or so without band, and 7-8 rows between. This is not really feasible after the bench/rowing.

superset 3x10 of each:
20lbs miracle-grow
2x10lbs tricep extension
10lbs dumbell external rotation (seated)

Writing this Thursday, my pecs have doms. Based on this soreness, there may not be a need to pick flat bench over the incline, if the incline did this to me.

Talked to Coach Kelly, he said I can do my own training as long as I come in 1-2 days per week. Might show up Monday or something.

I was posting my plans here, but I keep fine-tuning them, so I'll just post what I actually end up doing.

Last edited:
Friday:
10 minutes OA reset:
Belly breathing,
Rocking
Nodding
Rolling
Crawling
Cross-crawling

Then, 3 sets of 3 single-leg deadlifts with 32kg, immediantly into a ~60 meters suitcase carry. Working on that proper hinge for the deads, feeling the hamstring.

Saturday:
Brief OS Reset from memory
Spiderman crawl back and forth across the lawn (Got my abs, quads, and shoulders kinda pre-fatigued). Only went forwards, backwards is too hard for me rn, the movement is just wrong (which of course means I need to get good at it).

8-9 short hill sprints (barefoot, in soft ground. Hills were fairly steep, but very short.) The start phase is where I really have trouble, my acceleration and max mechanics are undoubtedly far better. Need to find some videos to fix.

50lbs weighted dip (5rm, as of a week ago.): 3x(1,2) (Gonna not do any more dips until I've done 2 interrupted sets with the incline bench).

16lbs weighted pullup: 1,2, then I quit when my kettlebell fell off my belt for the second time. Need to fix that thing.

Getups: 24, 24, 32, 24, 32. Felt very shaky on the last rep. Need to get that strength back.

Edit: I've decided, I'm doing the Southwood program into 5x5.

Last edited:
Monday:
Superset db incline bench and supported rows (focusing on lat contraction), 4x10
Top set: 7reps with 30+30lbs

4x8 pushups and inverted pushups
3x10 isolation moves: triceps, lats, external rotations

Tuesday:
4 sets of 6-10 80lbs swings
Front squat triples—> doubles, singles up to a 155 confortable single.
Interrupted set with 105, went to 4 sets, 4 reps last set.

4x8 ab wheel rollouts, superset with 4x10-12 O-L. Calve raises

Worked up to a 205lbs deadlifts. Flexibility was my problem, not hip strength. (Probably)

Worked up to a 205lbs farmer carry. Surprisingly, the trap bar deadlift to begin was the biggest limiter. Easier than the barbell, but still something.

I’m not happy with these numbers. I want to make my squat, deadlift, clean, incline bench and pull-ups blow up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom