all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getting the kettlebell up for goblet squats

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TimmyCK

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all!

I've been doing 3x5 goblet squats for my warmups and they are becoming one of my favorite mobility/activation exercises. However, I am wondering if there is a preferred way to get the bell up into goblet position. With a lighter bell like I'm using now I can muscle it up pretty easily but I want to build good habits with light weights. Cleaning it is another option but with one bell in the centre it's a little awkward. Any suggestions?

I do a 2 handed swing with slightly bent arms, then do a kind of almost flip and catch in the goblet squat position with me fully stood upright. Works fine with even a 40kg bell and I'm not strong.

Last edited:
With a heavy bell that I don't want to catch, for myself I have had luck with being in the bottom of the squat with the bell close to me between my knees, wedge my elbows very hard into the sides of the thighs for leverage, about 4-6 inches above the knee, and curl it up with both hands in a bicep curl once you grab it. Then stand up. Be sure not to round your upper back forward as you are reaching for the bell though.

Hello,

In a not that old podcast, Dan John avocates for the handles on the top because he saw guys breaking his teeth.

Kind regards,

Pet'

People are going to flip the bell up so the body is facing up. The body of the bell smacks them in the face apparently.

Dan John wants to protect people from themselves. He really seems like a nice guy.

We shouldn't be doing one-arm swings or heavy TGUs either according to his podcast. I'm sure his points are valid. His advice inspires me to take my S&S progression very seriously.

With a heavy bell that I don't want to catch, for myself I have had luck with being in the bottom of the squat with the bell close to me between my knees, wedge my elbows very hard into the sides of the thighs for leverage, about 4-6 inches above the knee, and curl it up with both hands in a bicep curl once you grab it. Then stand up. Be sure not to round your upper back forward as you are reaching for the bell though.
This is my technique as well.

Dan John wants to protect people from themselves. He really seems like a nice guy.

We shouldn't be doing one-arm swings or heavy TGUs either according to his podcast. I'm sure his points are valid. His advice inspires me to take my S&S progression very seriously.

What Podcast is that on? I get the no heavy TGUs, but what's his reasoning for no one arm swings? And does it apply for snatches as well then?

What Podcast is that on? I get the no heavy TGUs, but what's his reasoning for no one arm swings? And does it apply for snatches as well then?
He likes kb snatches for conditioning and if I'm remembering correctly his reasoning against one arm swings was "just do snatches instead". Although he also thinks heavy kb snatches are silly.

Really you just have to think "what is the simplest and safest way to move as much weight as possible" when channeling your inner Dan John. He is just more risk averse than SF when doing exercise selection.

He has a youtube channel/podcast. His presence there is actually very good, I expect it drives plenty of book sales for him, I'll definitely be purchasing a few. I listen whilst doing the dishes. I wish Pavel would do something similar, he was very interesting to listen to on Joe Rogan's podcast. Something with the comments turned on for once. (I've wondered about that, perhaps he wants to keep the conversations limited to this forum? Why are comments always disabled on Strongfirst's youtube videos?)

His point against one arm swings is that they are easy to do wrong, most people perform them with the loaded shoulder forward rather than keeping their shoulder's square. He says in other places that his clients are million dollar assets so he does what he can to avoid damaging them.

Like Pavel says (paraphrasing): most people are going to get bored and wander off or rush thru the program. I don't think those people are mature enough to take TGUs and one-arm swings seriously. They probably will get hurt if they don't have the discipline to progress slowly.

I'm waiting eagerly for Easy Strength #2, lot of respect for the two of them.

The goblet clean demonstrated by Karen and Mark is the preferred way.

From a time efficiency standpoint when I'm in a real hurry, I like to do my goblets bottom up, because I'll interleave my goblets and my halos together (when I'm using the 16 for goblets). So, set of goblets, set of halos, park the bell, repeat twice more.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom