all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getting the weight down in the bent press

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

rickyw

Level 7 Valued Member
is there a graceful way to get the weight down after a heavy bent press? I’m watching a lot of people get the weight up okay but then that weight comes flying down in a rapid negative press/two handed clean. In my own practice I find this to be the most tenuous portion of the lift. I haven’t found much coaching written on this so i would be interested on any insights you guys have. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know about a real heavy Bent Press, but a challenging and controlled way is to reverse the movement and finish back in the rack. Start out light if you give this a try.

Otherwise bring it down as you would a heavy Jerk, with a slight dip in the knees as you rack it.

Lighter weight - I pull it back into the regular press rack (active negative)
Heavier weight - I catch it just like in a push press and jerk, dipping the legs
Really heavy weight - not there yet, but I would just drop it, if necessary

What @Pavel Macek said. With the "really heavy weight", the point is in getting it overhead. The point in getting it down is in staying injury-free (which might mean dropping it).

Like in OLY lifts, there's no such thing as 1/2 of a clean or snatch. You get it (or don't). And then you drop it. That's the only (legit) way to return it to the ground.

Thanks guys it is what I wondered but it's nice to have some confirmation. Is there any resource on doing that two handed clean I see everybody do? (not a double clean, but a two handed clean with a single bell). I clean the weight up fine with two hands, but coming down is never as graceful.

Agree with Pavel and Ryan above. I'd add that even with a medium weight that I can lower like a military press negative, if I'm doing multiple reps, I still drop it and catch like with a Jerk. That way more can be spent on the main part.

is there a graceful way to get the weight down after a heavy bent press? I’m watching a lot of people get the weight up okay but then that weight comes flying down in a rapid negative press/two handed clean. In my own practice I find this to be the most tenuous portion of the lift. I haven’t found much coaching written on this so i would be interested on any insights you guys have. Thanks.

I try to turn it into a Negative Military Press. If you bent press really heavy you will need 2 hands. Pause a second on the rack to show you dominate the weight ????? ;)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom