all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Getup form check

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Buffalo

Level 5 Valued Member
Just wondered what critiques would be. I only do getups to kneeling bc I get a pain on the outside of my right knee mid way of the ascend and descend of the lunge.
Thanks!!

You are reshifting your lead leg inward, and its leaving you with too narrow of a stance to the point that you are losing your balance.
Not a doctor or trying to diagnose you, but I was having pain on the outside of my left knee during TGU lunges. It was IT-band. Used more warmups, stretching, and foam rolling to fix. Good Luck

I'm working on the IT band with my 120lb roller. Main reason do the shift. Instead of the sweep is I get a good stretch right there in the hip. But I will try in the morning without the shift.

Looks great to me, @Buffalo. I like your sequence on the tripod to lunge, with the in-and-out of lunge position working more of a windmill position than it does if the usual sequence is followed. @Al Ciampa likes to teach and do it that way also.

Are you interested in fixing the lunge to standing so maybe it won't hurt your knee? Some cues you might try if you want to add it back in: 1) use both legs to stand, 2) active toe on the back foot, 3) step forward to the front foot, not to the back or to the middle, 4) make sure the midsection is tight as you initiate the stand, 5) knee softly back down on the descent.

@Anna C. Up hurts but isnt bad. I can handle up. Down hurts to the point I loose tension in the knee I end up banging my knee. I've done 250 bw squats and I do daily goblet squats pain free. But lunges are killer.
I need to find my knee wraps and see if that helps.

Last edited:
You might try working on lunges with just bodyweight, assisted with rack/doorknob/stick/band as necessary. Working in whatever form and range of motion doesn't cause pain, perhaps you'll be able to expand that over time.

I like your sequence on the tripod to lunge, with the in-and-out of lunge position working more of a windmill position than it does if the usual sequence is followed. @Al Ciampa likes to teach and do it that way also.

I saw the OP do that and did wonder. I find that option really unbalanced. There is another variation where the hand is to the front, still making a tripod but there is more thoracic rotation. Without a tripod weighted balance it feels really odd, it lacks a hip hinge too - is there a particular reason for this option?

is there a particular reason for this option?

Probably just more t-spine mobility (which always feels great and is beneficial) and working/using the side muscles (QL?) in that loaded and rotated position, much like a windmill.

I'd be surprised if someone could do their heaviest get-up this way, but perhaps if it's always the way it's always practiced it could be done.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom