all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GetUp Math for Work Performed

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
Performing a bodyweight-only getup is the rough equivalent of a bodyweight deadlift.

True?

I ask because I've been posting a series of bodyweight only "get up" movements for the homebound, all much simpler than the getup as we teach it here but eventually, I'll get to something approximating what we'd call a real TGU. I'm trying to quantify the amount of work performed, just for my own edification.

(If anyone wants to see the videos, they're all 1 minute or shorter and they're on my personal Facebook page, just look me up over there, and on my new-to-me IG page as well.)

-S-

As far as difficulty? I would say the bodyweight only get-up is a little bit easier; maybe 75% of bodyweight deadlift.

As far as difficulty? I would say the bodyweight only get-up is a little bit easier; maybe 75% of bodyweight deadlift.
I'm specifically interested - I don't know why, but I am - in "work performed," which may or may not be different than "difficulty" - I don't know. Work performed, calories burned, that sort of thing. I am looking for encouraging things to say to the people who've been following my bodyweight-only get up posts, and I thought that something like, "Every time you do one of these, it's as if you'd deadlifted a barbell that weighs what you do and put it down again." So I think "work" equates to "as if" in the sentence above.

-S-

I'm specifically interested - I don't know why, but I am - in "work performed," which may or may not be different than "difficulty" - I don't know. Work performed, calories burned, that sort of thing.

I think I see what you're getting at, but I don't think it's relevant... my reasoning is that heavy lifting such as deadlifts isn't really about "work performed". Sometimes we measure volume or tonnage, but only to represent the dose of stress at an appropriate intensity. The stress is a stimulus to increase strength. If I deadlift 100 lb 10x or 333 lb 3x, that is equivalent weight and theoretically same work performed, but not the equivalent stress or strength stimulus. 100 lb 10x will probably burn more calories. But 333 lb 3x will make me stronger.

As for getups I think I might emphasize movement practice, activity, heart rate elevation, a bit of strength work in supporting the body... that sort of thing. Plus it is an extremely functional movement to master!

You could think of the exercise as Metabolic Equivalent (METs). Light/Moderate Calisthenics - Getting up and down from floor = 3.5 METs
Similar metabolic equivalent to Yoga, light bicycling, walking for pleasure, Golfing w cart, Bocce of same duration.

I'm specifically interested - I don't know why, but I am - in "work performed," which may or may not be different than "difficulty" - I don't know. Work performed, calories burned, that sort of thing. I am looking for encouraging things to say to the people who've been following my bodyweight-only get up posts, and I thought that something like, "Every time you do one of these, it's as if you'd deadlifted a barbell that weighs what you do and put it down again." So I think "work" equates to "as if" in the sentence above.

-S-
Very, very simplistically...

Assumptions:
Person = 75kg
Deadlift weight = 75kg
Deadlift distance = 0.5m
TGU distance = 1.5m
In deadlift person also lifts some % of bodyweight. (For arguments sake in this example say 50%)
In TGU person doesn't lift 100% of bodyweight the full 1.5m (say 75%)
Both lifts done with constant velocity. (A measure of power of course)

Lots of variables of course so this is only a very gross approximation...

Bodyweight TGU: 965joules
Bodyweight Deadlift: 552joules

but I don't think it's relevant
Yeah, but I'm not trying to be relevant, I'm trying to encourage people who are housebound and don't have a way to exercise, and probably don't exercise much, anyway, to feel like they've done something impressive, and since most of those people have never deadlifted, I thought saying, if they do 6-10 total bw getups as I recommend, that they'd performed the rough equivalent of deadlifting their bodyweight 6-10 times. Someone who weighs 200 lbs. can do 10 of these getups and feel like they've performed the equivalent of deadlifting 1 ton - I think that's impressive sounding, and I hope people find it encouraging.

Bodyweight TGU: 965joules
Bodyweight Deadlift: 552joules
I like those maths!

Now, do those joules have anything to do with precious stones? That would be even better. Maybe an atlas stone is some kind of joule.

:)

-S-

Someone who weighs 200 lbs. can do 10 of these getups and feel like they've performed the equivalent of deadlifting 1 ton - I think that's impressive sounding, and I hope people find it encouraging.

Well, they have lifted themselves off the ground... so yes they have 'lifted" a ton! That's impressive sounding just by itself!

In my humble opinion, time under tension makes the effort graph (if one is imagined) a rising curve, so linear calculation is really rough...
Agreed.
It was very back of the napkin math...

But if we were to look at power generated (as opposed to work done) then we could factor in velocity (time) and roughly calculate watts or other similar measure.

Last edited:
Agreed.
It was very back of the napkin math...

But if we were to look at power generated (as opposed to work done) then we could factor in velocity (time) and roughly calculate watts or other similar measure.

Yes, you're right. The curve of energy spent will go down (atp out) as the curve of power generated will grow with time spent under tension. An interesting game...

If you just look at yourself on the floor, then standing, you have moved your body weight from the ground to around belly height, the latter being the center of mass when you’re standing.

Si o no?

-S-

If you just look at yourself on the floor, then standing, you have moved your body weight from the ground to around belly height, the latter being the center of mass when you’re standing.

Si o no?

-S-
Si... mas o menos

You have moved some of your weight as high as your head, and some such as your feet not very much at all. One would have to do the math of course (and there would be individual variability due to body shape and composition), but for the sake of your purposes, it's probably close enough for government work.

Hello,

@Steve Freides
This is not the maths per se regarding the GU, but maybe you will find it interesting regarding the modulation of intensities:

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom