all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed GHD Ball Toss -- WTH?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

watchnerd

Level 8 Valued Member
No, seriously.

WTH?

Even though I don't always agree with it, I thought I understood CrossFit's methodology and philosophy as it relates to things like endurance, power, mobility, etc, exhibited across different domains like rowing, running, gymnastics, calisthenics, weightlifting, etc.

But I can't for the life of me figure out what athletic attribute this is supposed to develop:

The cynical side of me says this is just for good tv.

Please tell me I'm wrong and there is some legit purpose I'm just not getting.

Yeah, pretty sure your cynical side is right. I mean, if you’re an action hero, and your hanging by your feet out of a window, and you have to take out an enemy helicopter by hurling the suitcase bomb you were just getting ready to defuse, this could be useful.

Yeah, pretty sure your cynical side is right. I mean, if you’re an action hero, and your hanging by your feet out of a window, and you have to take out an enemy helicopter by hurling the suitcase bomb you were just getting ready to defuse, this could be useful.

You'd have to have a magazine full of suitcase bombs to dispose of like a human catapult.

I can see this being really useful for BJJ. I think it trains the entire anterior chain, like hanging leg raises, but explosively. I can see this having a lot more ab action than medicine ball slams.

I rolled back into training recently after taking Covid off and let me tell you, my fat butt was waaaaaay out of shape and these are something that would have really helped my close guard because my abs forgot everything they used to be able to do.

Hello,

From a joint standpoint, the move by itself is not necessarily bad. When we think about it, it remains fairly close to a full back bridge, which is excellent for spinal mobility.

The final portion of the move, which is the "curl" motion is also pretty common in different sport (BJJ, boxing, etc...) So by itself, it is not bad per se to work on it.

My main issue with this move is the explosive component of it. IMHO, it is dangerous, even if we engage the glutes to protect the lower back to be first in full (and weighted) extension, to end up in flexion. It will tax a lot the psoas and hip flexor.

If I were to throw something, it would be more of a "regular" med ball slam or a distance throw, which involves a body rotation (but in this case, feet are free to move). Performed as a stretch, with full control, and for way less reps, why not though.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I can't for the life of me figure out what athletic attribute this is supposed to develop:

And The Answer Is...

your cynical side is right.

GHD Ball Toss

Hyperextending the back is idiotic.

The GHD Ball Toss is one of the reasons that Cross Fit Training is often criticized, as it should be.

With that said, many individuals often inadvertentaly hyperextend their back with: Deadlifts, Back Extensions, and Kettlebell Swings in an effort to move more weight or perform more repetitions.

1649250869516.png1649250978671.png1649251053183.png

Neck Packing

One of the most effective method for avoiding Back Hyperextension with these movement is Neck Packing; which has been addressed in previous post.

From a joint standpoint, the move by itself is not necessarily bad.
Hyperextension Back Movements

Movements that hyperextent the lower back is definitely bad.

It's no more dangerous than zercher lifts from the ground or some odd lift...

Technique

If a Zercher Squat or an Odd LIft (any movement) is perforformed with poor technique, such as Hypertension of the Lower Back...

1) It an injury waiting to happen.

2) It's a sign of a lack of knowage or ignorance.

It's the crossfit games, no supposed to be a health expo.

Cross Fit Mentality

This group to a large extent their metality to determining who is the toughest, more so than other sports.

GHD Ball Throw are diven by ego rather than common sense.

With that in mind, Cross Fitters should consider measuring how mentally and physically tough someone is with this approach...

Forest Gump

As he said, "Supid is as Stupid does."

Last edited:
It's no more dangerous than zercher lifts from the ground or some odd lift...

I'm not qualified to comment on if it's more dangerous or not.

I was just baffled as to what athletic quality it's trying to train.

By I guess I was over-thinking it.

As @Don Fairbanks said it's just one of many smoke-outs in the Crossfit games; it's amusing to watch human catapults.

I was just baffled as to what athletic quality it's trying to train
I don’t think the games are trying to train anything, they’re a competition. And if you think or know this will show up, then training it is training for the competition.

The pegboard is a good example of it, as is mountain biking - no one did them until they were in the comp, now they do them so if they show up they’ll do alright.

I don’t think the games are trying to train anything, they’re a competition. And if you think or know this will show up, then training it is training for the competition.

The pegboard is a good example of it, as is mountain biking - no one did them until they were in the comp, now they do them so if they show up they’ll do alright.

Yeah, it's just another "fitness obstacle course show" at this point.

Yeah, it's just another "fitness obstacle course show" at this point.
Pretty fun to watch!

I think another thread around here had a video that talked about there being two different CrossFits - the "Games" and the "Health and Fitness." Perhaps a "scaled" version for the other type of CrossFit is doing partner situps with a med ball toss at the top. I've seen that hanging around gyms for a years.

Pretty fun to watch!

I think another thread around here had a video that talked about there being two different CrossFits - the "Games" and the "Health and Fitness." Perhaps a "scaled" version for the other type of CrossFit is doing partner situps with a med ball toss at the top. I've seen that hanging around gyms for a years.
For me, very entertaining and fun to watch, and I can appreciate the next level work and skill.

I really enjoy watching them, as well the different "qualification" events other than the "open" itself, pretty entertanining.

Remember that crossfit is about "expecting the unexpected", guess this one was pretty unexpected!!

No, seriously. stream of clients!

WTH?

Even though I don't always agree with it, I thought I understood CrossFit's methodology and philosophy as it relates to things like endurance, power, mobility, etc, exhibited across different domains like rowing, running, gymnastics, calisthenics, weightlifting, etc.

But I can't for the life of me figure out what athletic attribute this is supposed to develop:

The cynical side of me says this is just for good tv.

Please tell me I'm wrong and there is some legit purpose I'm just not getting.

I think the purpose of it to is to supply orthopedic surgeons with a continuous stream of clients! Seriosly, I can think of no worse movement for the back...hyperextension, loaded and done at high rates of movement. Dr Mcgill has a video out where he says something to the effect, please stop doing this.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom