all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Week 2 of Giant X1 in the books :)
Here are my numbers for (24:00) of work.
W2D1: 36 Reps (Did the rep scheme of week 1 by mistake! Forgot that the reps change weekly)
W2D2: 34 Reps (This day was very very difficult especially because the last rung was only one rep short of my max but I took very long rest between sets and made my mind that IF I wasn’t able to complete a set that it would be okay but thankfully I was able to complete all sets that I did)
W2D3: 39 Reps This day felt very very good and productive.

Very happy that I have finished week 2 can’t wait for week 3! I love that the reps change every week and ladders are certainly more enjoyable to me than straight sets. I remember Giant 2.0 was my favorite part when I did the Original Giant protocol. Anyways I am very happy that I dedicated doing a program just with the 24s (this is my first ever training phase with only 24s)I did a mistake a couple of weeks back by doing a program with double 28s and having to stop after one month. Anyways I learned my lesson and moved on. I hope everyone had great workouts this week.

What do you guys prefer?
W1-3 30min
W4 20mins or 80% of W3 volume

or

W1 20min
W2 25min
W3 30min
W4 25min
How do you handle W4 try to do the same work as W3 or at least get the work done from W2 or do you take it more as a recovery week?

or do you use a different approach?

What do you guys prefer?
W1-3 30min

or

W1 20min
W2 25min
W3 30min
W4 25min
How do you handle W4 try to do the same work as W3 or at least get the work done from W2 or do you take it more as a recovery week?

I have used a couple different approaches. I tend to use 30 minutes for all the sessions. Or 20 minutes min if I am in a rough time for recovery. Then I just let the autoregulation do it's thing and treat W1 as the deload week. I take W1 pretty easy and get used to the rep loads and then try to go up from there.

I also experimented with the 20, 25, 30, 25 scheme and also tried out 20,25,30,30. I just prefer to get in the full 30 minutes when I can and then on days I am feeling rough or sleeping poorly I will back off to 20 minutes temporarily.

What do you guys prefer?
W1-3 30min

or

W1 20min
W2 25min
W3 30min
W4 25min

I like doing 30 minutes across the board, first three weeks I "autoregulate" the reps, usually with a goal for that day, and then on the fourth week I look at my splits and figure out an "easy session" and then take lots of time to hit that.

At first i followed the programm by the letter but didnt really use autoregulation and more or less timed my sets. Since using autoregulation i often get more volume in a more comfortable way. If it's less i needed it. Autoregulation really works great for me.

I still think you can autoregulate within a given time.

I did the timing scheme:
W1 20min
W2 25min
W3 30min
W4 25min

But I also auto-regulated the sets within the respective Week's time allotment. I found that I got more sets during Week 4 than I did during Week 2. I improved the amount of sets without destroying myself.
What he said ^^^^^^

I did the timing scheme:
W1 20min
W2 25min
W3 30min
W4 25min

But I also auto-regulated the sets within the respective Week's time allotment. I found that I got more sets during Week 4 than I did during Week 2. I improved the amount of sets without destroying myself.
Don't you miss a dedicated recovery week?

Giant seems to me a program that people stay with for quite a while, or come back to.
And since it's pretty simple, it lends itself to tweaking to fit personal preferences.

I personally think that's a huge strength- you can modify to meet your goals/abilities/lifestyle and still stay in the framework.

Giant seems to me a program that people stay with for quite a while, or come back to.
And since it's pretty simple, it lends itself to tweaking to fit personal preferences.

I personally think that's a huge strength- you can modify to meet your goals/abilities/lifestyle and still stay in the framework.
Yeah, I absolutely love it. It is the only program I have been able to follow for a prolonged period of time. Even though I sometimes miss a bit more variety, I tend to switch back to The Giant shortly after because I love the simplicity; don't have to think about what to do - just have to do it.

But as I have discussed earlier, I have some issues with my shoulder. And while trying to find other programs with less pressing focus, I have instead decided on doing a few modifications to The Giant. So I will basically follow The Giant protocol, but alternate between (single) Clean and push press, DFSQ, and Double Cleans. I will use my 10 rep max for all exercises and keep the sessions to approximately 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom