all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

I may be wrong here but generally speaking I thought it's recommended to start with singles rather than jump into doubles. I remember a video with Chris Lopez and Geoff wherein I believe Geoff recommended starting with single bell work and that the only exception was a professional athlete he worked with.

I don't know if that philosophy has changed.

Having said that, I think anyone would benefit from Geoff's instructional videos in Strong! I just don't know if starting there is a good idea. I was just offering a suggestion as "noobie" to me means beginner.
True. I made an assumption that we were referring to a noobie to double KBs and not the KBs in general.

If someone is picking up KB for the very first time then maybe going through some of the KB basics courses would be good - KB Fundamentals by Strongfirst, or the Big 6 by Geoff, or the fundamentals series by Aleks. All great resources for single KB technique.

I may be wrong here but generally speaking I thought it's recommended to start with singles rather than jump into doubles. I remember a video with Chris Lopez and Geoff wherein I believe Geoff recommended starting with single bell work and that the only exception was a professional athlete he worked with.

I don't know if that philosophy has changed.

Having said that, I think anyone would benefit from Geoff's instructional videos in Strong! I just don't know if starting there is a good idea. I was just offering a suggestion as "noobie" to me means beginner.
Yes Sir, that is true. I wasn’t thinking about the doubles vs. singles aspect.
However, I do believe that the main ques for the pillar of power apply to both ie., feet through the floor, kneecaps into groin, buttocks squeezed, abs braced (like for a punch), shoulders down, with few modifications.
But anyway, he can’t go wrong with anything from Geoff.
ETK or S&S are also great place to start.

I made up a workout that takes the best of both the ROP and The Giant + a twist. Single bell. Currently not running it, but something to consider if you need a little more.

Foot is better today after getting a cortisone shot, decided to ease back into training and my foot. The NSAIDs I took over the past few days has stopped all pain in my shoulder, so I decided to test it out. Did day 1 of Giant 2.0 with 55's. Nice and easy, did 60 reps in 30 minutes without bouncing around on my foot. Shoulder felt awesome. Might postpone the ortho appointment if it holds up.

Beautiful! Did you start The Giant as a noobie? Would you recommend it for a noobie? :p
I wouldn’t consider myself a expert. I’ve only been training with kettlebells for 2 years. But there is definitely a technique and form prerequisite as with most training. Make sure your single arm clean and press is solid before introducing the load of doubles…If you’re brand new to kettlebells I’d suggest learning to perform all of the main kettlebell lifts.

2 hand Swings (then 1 handed swings)
Goblet squat (or front squats)
Snatch
Clean
Press
Get ups (I’d consider these optional)

This is not say that the Giant won’t work for a beginner but I think there’s value in learning all the main kettlebell lifts and then doing the more minimalist training. But don’t let me deter you if the Giant is what you wish to do, because I love it.

I made up a workout that takes the best of both the ROP and The Giant + a twist. Single bell. Currently not running it, but something to consider if you need a little more.

Foot is better today after getting a cortisone shot, decided to ease back into training and my foot. The NSAIDs I took over the past few days has stopped all pain in my shoulder, so I decided to test it out. Did day 1 of Giant 2.0 with 55's. Nice and easy, did 60 reps in 30 minutes without bouncing around on my foot. Shoulder felt awesome. Might postpone the ortho appointment if it holds up.
I saw an Ethan Reeve video wherein I believe he was still at Wake Forest and he was supervising an athlete doing a kettlebell clean and press. It was a clean without a preswing to the rack position, then a squat and back to the rack and then a press.....then switch sides. I thought that would make an interesting way to do the Rite of Passage....

I'm just not into doubles. The snap and everything is good, but they just don't feel right to me. Especially the slightly wider stance.
Yes, I recently got a second 24 and I’m definitely going to need time to adjust to double kb’s. I plan on doing Giant with a single bell after I finish timeless S&S, work up to bigger bells, and then try to learn doubles.

Yes, I recently got a second 24 and I’m definitely going to need time to adjust to double kb’s. I plan on doing Giant with a single bell after I finish timeless S&S, work up to bigger bells, and then try to learn doubles.
Personally I’ve always felt it was a tactical error on my part not doubling up my kbs sooner. I pretty much had a full set of singles before doubling them up. I now only have singles with my 40kg, 48kg and 56kg respectively and the companies that made those 3 bells have all vanished. I want to double up my 40kg but more and more it’s looking like I’ll need to buy 2 new 40kg as dimensions, handles etc vary so much with kb suppliers. I’m not crapping on single kb work, I still do it and not begrudgingly with an attitude it’s inferior to doubles as it’s not. Singles and doubles is just all part of the kb training whole.

Personally I’ve always felt it was a tactical error on my part not doubling up my kbs sooner. I pretty much had a full set of singles before doubling them up. I now only have singles with my 40kg, 48kg and 56kg respectively and the companies that made those 3 bells have all vanished. I want to double up my 40kg but more and more it’s looking like I’ll need to buy 2 new 40kg as dimensions, handles etc vary so much with kb suppliers. I’m not crapping on single kb work, I still do it and not begrudgingly with an attitude it’s inferior to doubles as it’s not. Singles and doubles is just all part of the kb training whole.
I switched to kb’s in July, I think if I could C&P with half the weight you are with a single bell, I’d be more than happy with my strength!

I like single bell work also. I've been doing mostly doubles for years now but the simplicity of single bell training appeals to me. I always had positive gains using singles. I've been saying that I want to run the Giant with a single and/or the ROP again after I accomplish my next 10x10 goal. I think alternating between the single and double bell programs would be ideal.

I like single bell work also. I've been doing mostly doubles for years now but the simplicity of single bell training appeals to me. I always had positive gains using singles. I've been saying that I want to run the Giant with a single and/or the ROP again after I accomplish my next 10x10 goal. I think alternating between the single and double bell programs would be ideal.
Can we discuss your beautiful black lab? About time you added a picture to your avatar!

Can we re-name the 10 x 10 Grahill Volume Training?

Can we discuss your beautiful black lab? About time you added a picture to your avatar!

Can we re-name the 10 x 10 Grahill Volume Training?
Ha ha ha ! My beautiful black lab....his name is Max! He is my buddy! My wife watches her "girly" stuff on TV in the living room, like "The Batchelor" ....
Meanwhile Max sits with me and we watch manly stuff, like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies!

As to "Grahill Volume Training" I stole that 10x10 c+p thing from Mr. Neupert himself! He did it with 32s back in like 2007 or 8 and he wrote it on his blog.....I'm paraphrasing him here but he said he did it and now never has to again! I'm gonna do it again because I'm just that much of a jack@@@!

Ha ha ha ! My beautiful black lab....his name is Max! He is my buddy! My wife watches her "girly" stuff on TV in the living room, like "The Batchelor" ....
Meanwhile Max sits with me and we watch manly stuff, like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies!

As to "Grahill Volume Training" I stole that 10x10 c+p thing from Mr. Neupert himself! He did it with 32s back in like 2007 or 8 and he wrote it on his blog.....I'm paraphrasing him here but he said he did it and now never has to again! I'm gonna do it again because I'm just that much of a jack@@@!
Quick aside, here. As I've told friends and family for years, I pray that should I make it to Heaven there will be a loud, thunderous noise. If I am so blessed, that noise will be the countless great dogs who have enriched my life, beating their tails against Heaven's Gate.

Max is BEAUTIFUL. I have no doubt we would hit it off splendidly!!

That is all.

Today Max just watched me as I did 4 complete ladders of the Giant 2.0 Week 3's day 3. I finished them in a PR -28:45. I was happy. He didn't care. As a matter of fact he was sleeping in the doorway to my garage and wouldn't move for me to get inside! My buddy at his best!
Can’t have a dog due to hours I work. It wouldn’t be fair on the good boi. Otherwise I’d have a pack.

Back
Top Bottom