all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Yep, definitely something in the water. I had my last day of Giant 3.0 yesterday and then did some thoracic stretching and may have popped a rib. I was wondering what to do next but I’ll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

I did 3.0 with 2 x 24kg using the 20/25/30/25 min weekly work timings and got these results:

Wk 1 - 99 reps - 32.27 kg/hand/min
Wk 2 - 112 reps - 35.84 kg/hand/min
Wk 3 - 132 reps - 35.2 kg/hand/min
Wk4 - 125 reps - 40 kg//hand/min

I also did an extreme calorie restricted diet for weeks 3 and 4 so probably could have done better still. Despite that I feel stronger and my weight has gone from 83.8kg to 79.2kg.

I was wondering whether to try 1.0 with the 2 x 24’s or maybe 3.0 again with the 28’s and push presses. I’m not sure about the sets of 6 on 1.0’s heavy day though. I guess I’ll see how I’m going tomorrow and if ok try and test my rep max and decide from there. I’m really loving this program.

Cheers

Ben
Sorry to hear about the Rib.
Your loading KPI has confused me. Didn't you average 5 reps a minute in week 4 and therefore 120 kg/hand/minute?

Could you just do 3.0 again and aim to do more reps? Im doing my first run at 3.0 and plan on re doing it. I might do a week of swings and getups as a break, and then re do with the same weights.
Hi Halfkneecap

I was thinking about that as one of my options. I do feel like I’d benefit from some higher rep ranges though. Perhaps I’ll do a 3.1 with 3/4/2 reps and use the 24’s again.

I really want to own the 24’s to avoid injuries as I’ve done in the past.

Cheers

Ben

Sorry to hear about the Rib.
Your loading KPI has confused me. Didn't you average 5 reps a minute in week 4 and therefore 120 kg/hand/minute?
Thanks Pete

With the 20/25/30/25 time frames I was using per session there were 75 total minutes in week 4. I wish I could hoist my 5 RM 5 times per minute

Cheers

Ben

It’s honestly some laugh how contrary my body is. Can’t swing, can’t complete last week of 2.0, can’t get up off the Johannes Krapper without looking geriatric but oh wait……. Can put on running shoes and run another 5k faster than the one before. Call me ungrateful but there’s something fishy going on.

Just finishing up my first week of Giant 3.0 (254 reps) and it is a lot of fun. I kind of miss the grind of the front squats from Dry Fighting Weight but the simplicity of repetition makes the work much more of a zone and require less thought. Excited to run this program all the way through and then start doing things like adding front squats back in.

Just finishing up my first week of Giant 3.0 (254 reps) and it is a lot of fun. I kind of miss the grind of the front squats from Dry Fighting Weight but the simplicity of repetition makes the work much more of a zone and require less thought. Excited to run this program all the way through and then start doing things like adding front squats back in.
My word that's a lot of reps! You sir must be a machine. What was your rep max before starting?

I've just finished week 3 and totaled 150 reps, this was with a shaky 8 rep max before starting.

My word that's a lot of reps! You sir must be a machine. What was your rep max before starting?

I've just finished week 3 and totaled 150 reps, this was with a shaky 8 rep max before starting.
I'm not entirely sure, I am returning from surgery that had me in a splint/HEB brace for half of last year that left my strength/mobility pretty shot. I hopped straight into DFW when I was cleared and got my second bell (and subsequently skipped the deload/test in DFW lol). I think my work capacity recovered faster than my strength because the rung of 5 was a real grind in DFW.

Week 3 of Giant 3.0 completed.

30 minute sessions and 150 reps completed across all 3 sessions. 35 min...no no no looking forward to a return to 25 minute sessions next week!
T
That really is a boatload of reps. Well done! I can’t imagine doing double the reps I did but it sure is something to aspire to!

Cheers

Ben

Awesome, this is a lot of reps for 3.0! I’m barely able to crank out 40 reps per 30 min session with my 32s. I actually went backwards this week as I wasn’t feeling super energetic.

Yep, definitely something in the water. I had my last day of Giant 3.0 yesterday and then did some thoracic stretching and may have popped a rib. I was wondering what to do next but I’ll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

I did 3.0 with 2 x 24kg using the 20/25/30/25 min weekly work timings and got these results:

Wk 1 - 99 reps - 32.27 kg/hand/min
Wk 2 - 112 reps - 35.84 kg/hand/min
Wk 3 - 132 reps - 35.2 kg/hand/min
Wk4 - 125 reps - 40 kg//hand/min

I also did an extreme calorie restricted diet for weeks 3 and 4 so probably could have done better still. Despite that I feel stronger and my weight has gone from 83.8kg to 79.2kg.

I was wondering whether to try 1.0 with the 2 x 24’s or maybe 3.0 again with the 28’s and push presses. I’m not sure about the sets of 6 on 1.0’s heavy day though. I guess I’ll see how I’m going tomorrow and if ok try and test my rep max and decide from there. I’m really loving this program.

Cheers

Ben
So I decided to err on the side of caution as the rib is still a bit tender and we’ve had wild weather here so I’m not staring the week as rested as I could be.

I went with a modified ‘3.1’ with the 2x24kg and using these rep ranges 3/4/5 and 20/5/30/35 session times. I managed 37 total reps - up from 25 1 month ago. Hopefully I can keep this up and also heal my rib. I’m keen do some higher rep ranges and then back to 3.0 with the 28’s.

Cheers

Ben

So I decided to err on the side of caution as the rib is still a bit tender and we’ve had wild weather here so I’m not staring the week as rested as I could be.

I went with a modified ‘3.1’ with the 2x24kg and using these rep ranges 3/4/5 and 20/5/30/35 session times. I managed 37 total reps - up from 25 1 month ago. Hopefully I can keep this up and also heal my rib. I’m keen do some higher rep ranges and then back to 3.0 with the 28’s.

Cheers

Ben
Those reps should really work well but wouldn't 2/3/4 reps work too? The 3/4/5 could be "3.2"... just a thought.....

Those reps should really work well but wouldn't 2/3/4 reps work too? The 3/4/5 could be "3.2"... just a thought.....
Oops I meant 3/4/2. Good catch.

I wanted to keep the med/heavy/light arrangement because I figure Geoff knows his stuff. I just think I need more of a bridge to get to reps of 1.0

Maybe I’ll do a 3.2 afterwards . I need to own the weights before moving up to try and avoid those good ole injuries.

Cheers

Ben

Oops I meant 3/4/2. Good catch.

I wanted to keep the med/heavy/light arrangement because I figure Geoff knows his stuff. I just think I need more of a bridge to get to reps of 1.0

Maybe I’ll do a 3.2 afterwards . I need to own the weights before moving up to try and avoid those good ole injuries.

Cheers

Ben
Either way works in my mind and I think it may be a great idea to actually bridge the 3.0 to the 1.0.....do the 3.0 then 3.1 then 3.2 then the 1.0.

I just read the Giant again as I couldn't remember the rep range for 1.0. I noticed on 1.0 and 3.0 the light day is day 3, but all the others have the light day on day 1. Any reason why or is it a typeo?

I just read the Giant again as I couldn't remember the rep range for 1.0. I noticed on 1.0 and 3.0 the light day is day 3, but all the others have the light day on day 1. Any reason why or is it a typeo?
Not sure it matters but I think the heavy day is midweek by design. I suppose the medium and light days could be flip flopped.

I can't answer that one.

But I will say I often mixed up the order of the days for various reasons in the Giant and other programs. I'm not qualified to offer an expert opinion but I always suspected the order of the days was the least important factor, provided you avoided repeating days back to back (e.g., heavy - heavy, light - light, etc.).

Also, I ran 1.0 twice and commonly got as many or more total reps on the "light" day than on any other day.

I like the combination of squats and C&P, so I was looking into Dry Fighting Weight. The thing is, at the moment I only have 1 KB Pair, 2x 20kg. That is my 10 RM, not a 5rm for DFW. But 10RM is a good fit for the Giant.
I was thinking: Has anyone run the giant but alternating the squat and C&P per set. That way you combine the exercises from DFW with the reps from the Giant, which fit better with a 10RM.

I like the combination of squats and C&P, so I was looking into Dry Fighting Weight. The thing is, at the moment I only have 1 KB Pair, 2x 20kg. That is my 10 RM, not a 5rm for DFW. But 10RM is a good fit for the Giant.
I was thinking: Has anyone run the giant but alternating the squat and C&P per set. That way you combine the exercises from DFW with the reps from the Giant, which fit better with a 10RM.
I have run 3.0 as such. I'd do my clean and presses, lower to rack, and do the squats, park, and rest. I honestly liked it. Is it alot of squats? Yes. Do you end up doing less presses? Yes. But I liked it and hit both presses and squats. It's not quite the Giant per say, but you'll grow. My comfy jeans feel like skinny jeans. Ps, you'll be hungry

Back
Top Bottom