all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

@Cameron

What have you done to address your lower back issues? Anything proactive?

Or just reactive, like rest, ice, etc...?

If nothing proactive, I strongly recommend you address it directly.
Hi Geoff,

I do mobility work and qigong movements (like tai chi) regularly. Not sure if you are referring to things like that or?

Cameron

Had a nice 20 m practice with my 24kg tonight. I do have a 28kg also. But I think going for the doubles would be pushing the envelope. Atleast at this point. So my current goal for the year is to run the program with the 24 then the 28. Long term goal would be to practice with the 32. My main experience with C & P in the past was with ROP. I worked up to 5 ladders of 5 rungs with 24kg many years ago. Then spent years doing S & S before beginning to experience lower back issues. After basically taking an entire year off kettelbell ballistics (I still practiced the TGU) I feel I am ready. But I will also do lots of mobilty work and monitor how I feel regularly.

Had a nice 20 m practice with my 24kg tonight. I do have a 28kg also. But I think going for the doubles would be pushing the envelope. Atleast at this point. So my current goal for the year is to run the program with the 24 then the 28. Long term goal would be to practice with the 32. My main experience with C & P in the past was with ROP. I worked up to 5 ladders of 5 rungs with 24kg many years ago. Then spent years doing S & S before beginning to experience lower back issues. After basically taking an entire year off kettelbell ballistics (I still practiced the TGU) I feel I am ready. But I will also do lots of mobilty work and monitor how I feel regularly.

Have you bought Geoff's KB Strong or his Big 6 or do you have access to a StrongFirst instructor? You can hire them for one session to check your form or maybe post a video on this forum. The reason I ask is that the video helped me clean up my clean before doing the Giant. It is easy to lean back too much when the doubles get heavy or not tame the arch (let them get out too much in front of you). Both of these may strain the lower back.

Hi Geoff,

I do mobility work and qigong movements (like tai chi) regularly. Not sure if you are referring to things like that or?

Cameron
Yes, I am referring to things like that.

However, if you're still having back issues, those modalities have most likely taken you as far as they can.

If you want to get rid of the back issues, you'll need to explore other options.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I am referring to things like that.

However, if you're still having back issues, those modalities have most likely taken you as far as they can.

If you want to get rid of the back issues, you'll need to explore other options.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Geoff,
Is there a particular protocol or resource that you recommend for addressing lower back issues directly?

The P3 Protocol looks fantastic! I am looking forward to getting into it. Just to clarify, this protocol can help with both lower back issues in addition to knee pain? So far watching, Geoff mainly adresses knee issues. But I can see how the excercises may have a carry over to lower back isues also.

I did a max test yesterday w 24 and got 7 C&P on each side. I think with my back issues will be conservative and stick with 3.0 for awhile. Will also incorporate the P3 protocol. I saw there is a seperate P3 protocol thread so any questions about that will ask over there. thank you

@guardian7 @Bkb

I didn’t want to derail the KSK thread with further giant discussion lol. To answer the hypertrophy question, I have definitely gained a lot in the shoulders and arms. My first run seemed to hit my biceps and forearms pretty heavily, with my second run really blowing up my traps. I think there was a bit of technique refinement in there causing the difference, I was overgripping and not hinging enough on the first run. Shoulders and triceps growing equally on both runs (although I haven’t ran 1.1 and 1.2 again). My sleeves have gotten too short on all my dress shirts since I started the program, so it isn’t all in my head lol.

This is definitely sustainable longterm for me so far, I actually bought kettlebells in 2-3kg jumps all the way up to 80# in hopes I can run giant that long. We will see

@guardian7 @Bkb

I didn’t want to derail the KSK thread with further giant discussion lol. To answer the hypertrophy question, I have definitely gained a lot in the shoulders and arms. My first run seemed to hit my biceps and forearms pretty heavily, with my second run really blowing up my traps. I think there was a bit of technique refinement in there causing the difference, I was overgripping and not hinging enough on the first run. Shoulders and triceps growing equally on both runs (although I haven’t ran 1.1 and 1.2 again). My sleeves have gotten too short on all my dress shirts since I started the program, so it isn’t all in my head lol.

This is definitely sustainable longterm for me so far, I actually bought kettlebells in 2-3kg jumps all the way up to 80# in hopes I can run giant that long. We will see
That’s incredible stuff. I guess we’ll see what a full year of Giant can do to someone. Keep going!

@guardian7 @Bkb

Have you got the Easy Muscle program yet? It would still allow you to keep the clean and press but it also programs additional lifts in blocks to make it even more sustainable.

Have you got the Easy Muscle program yet? It would still allow you to keep the clean and press but it also programs additional lifts in blocks to make it even more sustainable.
I have, I am adding the schedule A phase two into this Giant (before 1.1). I thought about switching to it, but overall I want to take tinkering out of my programming. I was a big program hopper in my 20s and it hurt my gains, so I want to stop myself by just sticking to giant until I can’t.

I have, I am adding the schedule A phase two into this Giant (before 1.1). I thought about switching to it, but overall I want to take tinkering out of my programming. I was a big program hopper in my 20s and it hurt my gains, so I want to stop myself by just sticking to giant until I can’t.
I would be interested to hear how far you can take it and the results. Report back in a few months!

Gonna start The Giant 2.0 next week. Haven’t really done much in the way of ladders with KBs. Any difference with length of rest between rungs when compared to each ladder? Push a little between rungs and rest longer between ladders? Equal rest throughout?
Thanks in advance

Gonna start The Giant 2.0 next week. Haven’t really done much in the way of ladders with KBs. Any difference with length of rest between rungs when compared to each ladder? Push a little between rungs and rest longer between ladders? Equal rest throughout?
Thanks in advance
I just go when I’m ready and know I can hit it.

Geoff lately has been suggesting going by breathing - when breathing is recovered, go for it - and generally that means your rest time will vary between rungs and ladders.

I’ve been revisiting that with low rep ladders (1-2-3) with singles and it keeps the pace up. But there’s definitely a lot more rest between 2 and 3 than 1 and 2. Sometimes I talk myself into going for that single sooner than fully recovered because … it’s just one rep.

Thanks in advance
I find that I usually take a longer break between the middle and the long, then the long and the short. The reason being that the short is easy enough to hit that I don’t need to be as recovered before but I do before the long.

I just go when I’m ready and know I can hit it.

Geoff lately has been suggesting going by breathing - when breathing is recovered, go for it - and generally that means your rest time will vary between rungs and ladders.

I’ve been revisiting that with low rep ladders (1-2-3) with singles and it keeps the pace up. But there’s definitely a lot more rest between 2 and 3 than 1 and 2. Sometimes I talk myself into going for that single sooner than fully recovered because … it’s just one rep.

I find a useful indicator is not just beathing rate but the ability to breathe through the nose only.

Thanks in advance
Just go when you’re ready. How will you know you’re ready? You’ll learn that by doing the ladders over and over and assessing if you could’ve gone sooner or not.

I enjoyed ladders in 2.0, especially since I rarely took much time to warm up; it’s almost like a built in warm up.

Back
Top Bottom