all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Tested my rep max with 24s today after:

4 weeks 3.0 (mix of push and strict press)
4 weeks 3.0 (all strict press)
3 weeks 3.0 (+1 rep per set)
2 weeks off on holiday with pressups only

Hit a very strong 6 reps so pleased with that. I've gained some weight whilst away and also managed 5 front squats so going to do a run of DFW now.

Tested my rep max with 24s today after:

4 weeks 3.0 (mix of push and strict press)
4 weeks 3.0 (all strict press)
3 weeks 3.0 (+1 rep per set)
2 weeks off on holiday with pressups only

Hit a very strong 6 reps so pleased with that. I've gained some weight whilst away and also managed 5 front squats so going to do a run of DFW now.
Nice work!

Moved up to the 28kg bells a few months ago. Still chugging along. Improvements are happening but much slower now. Still loving the process and the results though. Pairs well with my BJJ training and thats what I like the best. I can get stronger and not feel zapped.

At what point does volume become junk volume?
75-100 reps of C&P seem like over kill?
The first time I ran the Giant 1.1 I was able to get 112 reps with my 24s and I thought I was gonna blow a gasket. I was looking at other peoples numbers trying to keep up. Then I ran 3.0 with 32s and barely scratched 30 reps but felt just as fatigued. I think if you can bang out 100 reps you’re better off upping the weight and doing less volume.

The first time I ran the Giant 1.1 I was able to get 112 reps with my 24s and I thought I was gonna blow a gasket. I was looking at other peoples numbers trying to keep up. Then I ran 3.0 with 32s and barely scratched 30 reps but felt just as fatigued. I think if you can bang out 100 reps you’re better off upping the weight and doing less volume.
That’s exactly what I ran into! 100 with 24s might have been more cardio but 30 with 32s was rough.. doing 3.0 with 32s but mixing in push presses.. sometime more is just more..

But why are you better off? You didn’t state any pros or cons?

I felt like the heavier load with less reps gave me more strength gains, and I didn’t blow a gasket.
I guess my confusion is that you called them “equally fatiguing”, so what is defined as blowing a gasket if the fatigue levels are the same?

I think the best option in your scenario would be to just do less reps and not blow a gasket. It also comes down to conditioning, just because you blew a gasket with high reps doesn’t mean others will. I didn’t.

The way I view Giant is it’s all just an onramp to running 1.2, where the 8s and 9s perform their magic. Jumping weight in Giant before reaching 1.2 is leaving a lot of meat on the bone and most likely shortening the period until you hit a wall and/or injure yourself.

I guess my confusion is that you called them “equally fatiguing”, so what is defined as blowing a gasket if the fatigue levels are the same?

I think the best option in your scenario would be to just do less reps and not blow a gasket. It also comes down to conditioning, just because you blew a gasket with high reps doesn’t mean others will. I didn’t.

The way I view Giant is it’s all just an onramp to running 1.2, where the 8s and 9s perform their magic. Jumping weight in Giant before reaching 1.2 is leaving a lot of meat on the bone and most likely shortening the period until you hit a wall and/or injure yourself.
For me the fatigue was different.. 24s more cardiovascular and mental fatigue where with the 32s I felt it more in the muscles .. my obliques started screaming near the end..

I hear what you are saying about trusting the process and not getting ahead of myself. One of the difficulties of kettlebells is the jump in weight. 24-32 is a good size jump.. once I finish 3.0 I’ll start over with 1.0 with the 32kgs.. as long as my ADHD doesn’t kick in and I shift to a different shiny program.. which is my biggest problem..

The way I view Giant is it’s all just an onramp to running 1.2, where the 8s and 9s perform their magic. Jumping weight in Giant before reaching 1.2 is leaving a lot of meat on the bone and most likely shortening the period until you hit a wall and/or injured

Like I said that’s the beauty of the program. You can run it in multiple different variations and there is something for everybody. I’ve never ran 1.2 only 1.0, 1.1, 3.0 and the Giant X. My experience was that I gained more from running 3.0 with heavier weight than I did running 1.1 and getting super high reps. I’ve ran all of those versions mutliple times over the last 2 years with different weights everything from 24s, 28s, and 32s

Like I said that’s the beauty of the program. You can run it in multiple different variations and there is something for everybody. I’ve never ran 1.2 only 1.0, 1.1, 3.0 and the Giant X. My experience was that I gained more from running 3.0 with heavier weight than I did running 1.1 and getting super high reps. I’ve ran all of those versions mutliple times over the last 2 years with different weights everything from 24s, 28s, and 32s
Oh nice, what weight did you run X at? How would you compare that with your runs of normal Giant?

What’s Giant X? Never heard of that one..

Hi just wondering if anyone can clarify, when Geoff says "try to get one more set each week" is this to be interpreted as written or one extra set each workout of the week?

Like I said that’s the beauty of the program. You can run it in multiple different variations and there is something for everybody. I’ve never ran 1.2 only 1.0, 1.1, 3.0 and the Giant X. My experience was that I gained more from running 3.0 with heavier weight than I did running 1.1 and getting super high reps. I’ve ran all of those versions mutliple times over the last 2 years with different weights everything from 24s, 28s, and
How do you integrate other training movements with the program?

For ex I’ve been using TGU or Windmill for my warmup and deep dips and heavy dead stop swings as my “cool down”.. Not sure best way to get squatting in without affecting my CP.. my clean is my weak link compared to my press..

Hi just wondering if anyone can clarify, when Geoff says "try to get one more set each week" is this to be interpreted as written or one extra set each workout of the week?
I take it as one more set for each workout compared to the previous weeks same rep day.. ie
Week 1 day 1 - 30 sets of 7
Week 2 day 1 - 31 sets sets of 7
Week 1 day 2 - 20 sets sets of 9
Week 2 day 2 - 21 sets sets of 9

I could be wrong but that’s how I read it..

Back
Top Bottom