all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

Exactly!! I have done and will continue to do the exact same thing you speak of @guardian7 . I consider that spending a bit more time on the plateau before restarting the "climb." Case in point, during 1.0 I was interrupted for 12 days due to moving. Lots of heavy box and tub lifting, eating somewhat poorly, and typical work stressors. When I resumed training I did the 4 rep day for three consecutive sessions, adding a set every session. Similar to your description, I considered that an on ramp back onto the "Training Interstate." Also, back during 2.0 I also did a six week version as I could tell that my snatch strength was still transferring over to my press strength. There are a lot of variables to consider and doing the program but lengthening it is often the best way to ensure you get the most out of it, instead of prematurely advancing and not reaping the full benefits.

Right. It can be complicated in the execution but simple in the principle. Repeat or slow down the same progression as the original program. Own the weight as Pavel T. says.

Something like this is my general attitude towards programming. Essentially, you are describing turning a linear progression into a step cycle. Yes?

My version on of this has been to use a "wave cycle" strategy to the Giant programs. On each transition from 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 I've backed up a couple of setss but increased the number of sets over time so that the last work outs of a series pass my previous max.

Here is what I've done. I started with my 20kg bells at a 3RM. I did phase 1 of KB Strong. I retested and got 9 reps with the 20kg. I started with Giant 1.0 and maxed at reps in the 60's for each workout during my last week. I backed down two sets and transitioned to 1.1 finishing with my reps in the 70's. I'm doing my third week of 1.2 (after dropping back two sets) now and getting >80 reps in each workout. After this program. I plan to retest with the 24's and then decide where to go from here.

This approach has just "felt right" to me. It seems like it keeps me from overtraining and still feels like it is in keeping with the parameters of the program,

Yes, but this approach can be applied to many types of programs. The basic idea is to repeat or slow down the same progression as the original program. Take something like the fighter's pullup program. You could repeat the first week or repeat a workout before adding a rep etc. Don't mess with the exercise choice or rep schemes, or progression of the author of the program. Then it is not the program as Jim said. Own the weight as Pavel T. says.

Does anybody do legs on days off? I’m a skier and alpine climber and I really appreciated how the wolf had the squats built into the program but the giant is different. Does anybody have a squat program they use on off days? I like doing semi-heavy barbell squats where I do 5 of sets of 5 at 10% above body weight then heavy deadlifts, I don’t want to get in my own way though. Will this slow progress with the Giant? I had day 2 yesterday and got an extra set in from day 1!

I had the same thought because I started double KB with one of Geoff's squat and press workouts. But no don't do that. You underestimate how much of a lower body workout cleans can be at medium-heavy weight, high volume and you would compromise recovery. My rule of thumb is that you don't get to modify the program until you have done it once as written. If it is feels easy push for volume and decrease rest periods. Make it more dense as it is a density program.

Exactly!! I have done and will continue to do the exact same thing you speak of @guardian7 . I consider that spending a bit more time on the plateau before restarting the "climb." Case in point, during 1.0 I was interrupted for 12 days due to moving. Lots of heavy box and tub lifting, eating somewhat poorly, and typical work stressors. When I resumed training I did the 4 rep day for three consecutive sessions, adding a set every session. Similar to your description, I considered that an on ramp back onto the "Training Interstate." Also, back during 2.0 I also did a six week version as I could tell that my snatch strength was still transferring over to my press strength. There are a lot of variables to consider and doing the program but lengthening it is often the best way to ensure you get the most out of it, instead of prematurely advancing and not reaping the full benefits.

Right. I felt a cold coming on from work stress and took a few days off. Repeated my 6s for 1.1 until I got back on the right weekly schedule to restart. I didn't restart with my 8, which I was due for. It is just age and training wisdom. We know that missing one workout or one week is meaningless when we have committed to a lifetime of training (I am 52). I am pretty sure I will need 6 weeks to be able to handle 1.2 or KB Strong but I won't be messing with any of Geoff's numbers.

I do OS resets with some leg swings and shoulder circle swinging stuff then s&s warmup, about 15/20 mins.
I do this right after i jump out of bed.

Ive wondered about this too though

Last edited:
How do you guys differentiate between needed autoregulation vs giving in to mental weakness?

I spent all day Monday on my feet in the rain. I did not want to work out Monday night. Pushed through and did it anyway. At the 10 minute mark and every 5 minutes after I was contemplating stopping the workout, but my reps/form felt good (so I thought). I told myself I was just being weak and pushed through. Finished with 15x5 in 30 minutes. But maybe my form wasn't so good and I snuck in a poor rep or two without noticing. Tuesday evening my low back was sore and I've taken the rest of this week off doing mobility work. I'll be fine by Monday and repeat this week. Maybe it wasn't a form issue and I just needed a day off, I have a history of low back issues. Either way, I'm just looking for insight to prevent this from happening again.

How do you guys differentiate between needed autoregulation vs giving in to mental weakness?

I spent all day Monday on my feet in the rain. I did not want to work out Monday night. Pushed through and did it anyway. At the 10 minute mark and every 5 minutes after I was contemplating stopping the workout, but my reps/form felt good (so I thought). I told myself I was just being weak and pushed through. Finished with 15x5 in 30 minutes. But maybe my form wasn't so good and I snuck in a poor rep or two without noticing. Tuesday evening my low back was sore and I've taken the rest of this week off doing mobility work. I'll be fine by Monday and repeat this week. Maybe it wasn't a form issue and I just needed a day off, I have a history of low back issues. Either way, I'm just looking for insight to prevent this from happening again.
1) Finding out if you should skip it or not: Try looking at your personality in general. Are you a "warrior" type who likes to push yourself to the limit in a lot of areas. Or are your more the kind of person who likes to relax, listen to your body and your emotions and having a bit more problems with self-discipline and achieving your goals. What do your friends says. Do they tell you to calm down, or to straighten up. Personally I'm more of a soft type who likes to relax, listen to my feelings etc so I general try to push myself even though I am a bit tired. If I was a more type-A personality or "warrior" I would probably or should probably learn to relax more and be more gentle with myself (that is lowering the threshold to skipping a work-out).

2) Finding out how you can do less: Pavel recommends doing less reps, but keeping the same weight and the same sets.
You can also reduce sets. I like to also reduce the weight sometimes and rather focus on technique and breathing.

3) You can also do something completely different. Training is not only good for increasing maximum strength and a muscular body. It also improves sleep, cognitive abilities etc etc. The Government generally recommends a quite high amount of physical activity pr. week where your heart rate is increased. Taking this into consideration you can do things like jogging, bicycling, fast walking, air squats etc etc. I experience that all sorts of training, this included raise my mood and improve my sleep.

Hope this helps.

Hey George, Been there/done that with the lousy weather. Don't overthink it. Just do what you can on a given day and it usually ends up better than "last week".
Sometimes though, you just gotta push yourself. Especially when you're talking about 90 minutes a week.
Also don't forget.....on the feet all day with a Sam Browne on, vest, uniform footwear (I always laughed at that, they just couldn't call them shoes).....these things can contribute to a sore lower back too as you know so it may not have been the workout that caused it.

If you keep training, a single workout is not important. As you get older this becomes more obvious. You have a whole lifetime of workouts ahead. The key is whether you are moving in a forward direction. Programs like easy strength and power to the people and simple and sinister show that pushing yourself in workout is not as important as thought before. All you have to do is stimulate the muscle enough for an adaptation. Minimum effective dose. I think frequency and consistency is more important than how hard you push yourself on an individual workout. Dan John describes them as punch the clock workouts. Put in the time and do better next time. By pushing yourself you lost a week of training it seems.

maybe a bit on the side of the topic, but what kind of warm up to people use before starting the session with this much pressing ?
I have a very specific warmup, as over the years I have warmed up for specific movements. I half jokingly call it a "warmout."

Since The Giant is Clean & Press, that's how I warm up.

Haloes and presses with 10kg bell. Usually 4 haloes in each direction, followed by 4 presses each side. I'll do 4~5 of this series.

Next step, Clean & Press with double 16kg bells. Always sets of 4. I'm warming up, not pre-exhausting. I take my time and usually end up with 5~7 sets. Along with the haloes, this warms me up and preps me to "pin my ears back" and feel the weight.

I have a very specific warmup, as over the years I have warmed up for specific movements. I half jokingly call it a "warmout."

Since The Giant is Clean & Press, that's how I warm up.

Haloes and presses with 10kg bell. Usually 4 haloes in each direction, followed by 4 presses each side. I'll do 4~5 of this series.

Next step, Clean & Press with double 16kg bells. Always sets of 4. I'm warming up, not pre-exhausting. I take my time and usually end up with 5~7 sets. Along with the haloes, this warms me up and preps me to "pin my ears back" and feel the weight.
I like it. Warm up not workout...the warm up certainly adds volume effortlessly but it is not the sole focus like the work sets.

I thought about using a lighter bell clean & press warm up but my working bells are 20kg and next ones down are 16kg, would they be too heavy?
I do have a single 10kg too

Last edited:
Just wrapped up the third week of 1.1, using 2x20. I took the 4th week of 1.0 as a deload (20 mins per session instead of 30), and will do the same with 1.1, so this was my 'peak' week.

Was able to get 14x7 on medium day, 12x8 on hard day, and 15x6 on light day, so 285NL for the week. Up slightly from 275 NL in the third week of 1.0 - but clearly its a better effort given the higher reps per set. I also felt a bit fried after week 3 of 1.0, but am feeling better recovered this time around.

Continuing to really enjoy the program. Haven't tested an RM, but getting more volume and the same or lower level of effort, so progress seems clear. Sets of 8 are no joke! Will carry on to 1.2 after next week, and will do a test after that to determine what to do next. Good stuff.

I thought about using a lighter bell clean & press warm up but my working bells are 20kg and next ones down are 16kg, would they be too heavy?
I do have a single 10kg too
I'd absolutely use the 10kg for several Clean & Press. Remember it's a warmup, not the workout. That said, a few (and I mean no more than 4) single Clean & Press per side with the 16kg would be an effective way to gently bridge the gap between the 10kg and your work sets. I'd Clean & Press the 16kg both right and left side, then take ~2 minutes rest and repeat 'til ready. Off the top of my nugget, no more than 4 total.

Back
Top Bottom